basic snickerdoodles recipe

This basic recipe, (which I got from one of those googled sites after hearing "snickerdoodles" on some TV show), makes about 40 cookies depending on size of spoon used to put mix on trays. I like them small. To me, they're just sugar cookies, but the snickerdoodles name is funny so I'm going to keep using it.

BASIC SNICKERDOODLES

2 and 3/4 cups plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 and 1/2 cups of white sugar (I used caster sugar)
1 cup margarine
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla essence (I used extract instead)

>Heat oven to 200*C (My thermostat is busted so I set it at 170 and watched carefully)
You know your own oven so set it accordingly.
>Cream margarine and sugar.
>Add vanilla and eggs
>Mix in sifted dry ingredients.
>Put spoonfuls of mix onto lightly greased oven trays, leave room for biscuits to spread.
Or use that non-stick baking paper which means no washing up and catches the sugar sprinkle too.
(I find they don't spread much at all, so put more per tray then I did the first time I made them).
>Bake for ten minutes or until light golden brown.
(They pass from light to dark pretty quickly)
>Sprinkle with a cinnamon/sugar mixture as they come out of the oven
>Cool on racks.

If I'm adding extras such as dried cranberries, or sultanas, or choc-chips I'll stir those into the sifted flour mix.

Comments

  1. Yum, yum.
    I've been loving the Aldi packet of fruit and nut mix on my porridge - it's got seeds, coconut, tropical fruits, etc, - would be good to use in a bikkie recipe, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some plain ones once and wasn't all the keen but with choc chips...now there's an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good recipe. They would be good made small, especially if you are expecting kidlets for company (or have kidlets of your own)
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  4. EC; You're welcome. Enjoy.

    Jayne; are the nuts etc chopped up smallish? If not, I think you'd have to chop them a bit to use in biscuit recipes. But I agree they would be nice.

    Lightening; They're definitely better with add-ins.

    Manzanita; No kidlets around here, so I get to eat them all! Well, except for the ones I take to work to share. They're also easy enough for kids to make I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does cream of tarter do, what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. R.H. it works with baking soda/baking powder to form a raising agent for the flour. It was used way back in the days before self-raising flour became widely available. It's available in boxes in the baking aisle of supermarkets, near the flours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you just use self raising flour instead?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm I am so going to make these. Thanks River, you are one smooth lady.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs