Sunday Selections #110



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.


I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos of the Botanic Gardens here in Adelaide.

This week's photos are of the Rainforest Enclosure which was built quite some time ago and had an entrance fee to recoup the cost.
Entrance is now free, so in I went, with my camera of course.

From the outside I don't think it is very pretty to look at.
Inside is a completely different story.

I love the glassed roof, and all the patterns created by the framework.

At both ends, there are glass panels with information about the rainforests and why it is 
so important to save and maintain them






Hopefully, people will become more aware of the importance of rainforests and more will be done to save what's left of them all over the world.

There is a walkway through the middle which rises up quite high. You can walk all the way along, or stop about halfway and walk down some stairs to the ground level and follow the path there.

This is the lovely wide brick path that winds through the ground level.

Here is the pond that I came downstairs to see. I'd watched the turtles form above and wanted a closer look. This photo was taken from up on the walkway. (boardwalk?)

These thick stems emanating from the trunk are aerial roots. I've never seen any quite this long before. They start above the walkway level and grow right down to the ground.

Another photo of the turtles, this time from ground level, showing the reflections of the framework of the roof.

The structure is fully climate controlled, with misting sprinklers switched on a reasonably short intervals all day. Maybe into the night as well.

By the time the mist reaches ground level, it looks really pretty with sunlight and glistening wet leaves shining everywhere.

One last photo. (although I do have many more....)
Don't you agree it is pretty?



















Comments

  1. Gorgeous place....love those little turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. Don't you get wet when the mist is falling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much more than pretty. It is beautiful. I agree with you about the outside of the rainforest enclosure, but it more than makes up for that. Thank you so much. I have loved the tours through the Botanic Gardens that you have given us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delores; there are several turtles in different sizes, these were two of the biggest.

    Andrew; no, they only mist one area at a time. Of course you can stand there and get damp if you want to, but I had the camera so thought I shouldn't.

    Jim; welcome to drifting. It is great, much nicer inside, and still having parts constructed or repaired.

    Elephant's Child; I'll have to go back some time and get more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty impressive photos, River. I like the way the sun filters through the glass leaving a haze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the outside is rather impressive. Form follows function, and the building must tower that high to accomodate the rain forest. That said, the inside is spectacular, too, and not only for its educational purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very beautiful and I'm sure quite humid in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! One of my favourite Adelaide spots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, that's gorgeous. I'll have to visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Manzanita; the haze is from the misting sprinklers, when that goes away the sunlight is quite bright.

    Joanne Noragon; I prefer the inside. I haven't really looked at the building from the side, maybe it would look better. I'll have to go back.

    Cindi; not as humid as I expected, I enjoyed my time in there.

    Kath Lockett; one of mine now too.

    Fenstar; yes, and bring your camera.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs