Sunday Selections #111



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. step on over to The Elephant's Child to see what she has posted.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos of the Botanic Gardens.

This week, the Hollow Tree.
A favourite with little kids and tourists who love to photograph each other standing inside the hollow.
The path leads right up to and then through the tree.

The hollowed section straddles the path which is quite wide and this leg here is the thinner portion of the remaining trunk.

This is a small section of the bigger side of the trunk. The hollow is big enough for several children or three adults to comfortably sit.
I once saw a homeless man with his rolled blanket propped behind his back as he sat in here to eat a sandwich.

The larger trunk section has another smaller opening with ground ivy growing through it.

The hollowed section is quite high, I can comfortably stand in it, but I suspect my brother in law, at 6'3", probably couldn't.

There's not much happening at the top of the tree, no new growth at all, not even a bird's nest in there.
You can see the split in the trunk goes all the way up.  I imagine the original tree was very much taller, there is a fallen branch (not photographed) lying to the left which is quite large.

Taken from the other side after I'd walked through, with the thinner leg now on my right side.

One last view of the hollow. You can see it isn't blackened, so I suspect it was eaten out by termites rather than burnt by fire.














Comments

  1. Thank you. I love it - and I love that no-one has thought it necessary to pull it down. And, what a beautiful place to sit and have lunch - the man you saw had the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 101 Things to do with a hollow tree: #76 - start leaving bits & pieces there; an old teacup, a tea towel etc and see how long before other things start appearing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great old tree. There are several in our south-west karri forest and one in particular where people would park their car and take a photoof it. They stopped that from happening for fear of damaging the tree. I am not sure if it is still standing...must check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elephant's Child; I think the tree has actually been braced or propped up over the years, the two thinner supporting legs look different from the rest.

    Cindi; one of my favourites.

    Red Nomad OZ; I don't think things would stay there long, the groundskeepers would tidy up.

    Mimsie; I remember seeing photos in newspapers of cars parked inside tree hollows, then one day there was a hollow tree with a fence around it. Perhaps it was your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. River
    That fantastic tree was a bonus, as any angle provided a good shot. It reminds me of some of the scenes in Alice in Wonderland.
    Enjoy the day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manzanita; I'll have to watch Alice In Wonderland again. The cartoon version?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I remember a four year old Sapphire attending a friend's fairy party and having a dance under that tree! *Sniffle*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs