Sunday Selections # 112



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. go on over to The Elephant's Child and see her wonderful photos.


I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos of the Botanic Gardens. 

We're still in the rainforest enclosure.

Crinum Lily.  Unlike the Oriental Lily, I'm able to breathe quite freely near this one.

standing on the lower level, looking at the stairway that brought me down from the walkway

mossy log imitating a turtle

palm (?) trunks and ferns

these are the highest mist sprinklers, right up at the top of the roof.

the mist gives everything a fairytale quality

this is one of my favourite photos

On the way out of the Gardens, I stopped at the kiosk for an ice cream, but it was very crowded with people having lunches, so I changed my mind and went to stand by the duck pond. 
There weren't very many ducks, (two), instead I saw at least half a dozen large turtles that I hadn't seen before, and these>>>

catfish.
Large catfish.
The pond was seething with them, there must have been a dozen at least, all roiling around just by the little bridge where I used to happily throw bread to the ducks.
I don't think they're at all pretty and I'd much rather see ducks.








Comments

  1. I agree...catfish are ugly ugly ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live just off Duck Creek, sometimes many ducks sometimes none but much prettier than catfish.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fish are not pretty. The fellow in the upper right corner looks like some sort of a bad river sprite, laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crinium (and yes, I grow them too) is gorgeous. I wish mine looked as good as that.
    And I agree, I would have ducks over those brutes anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like catfish. Breaded and fried, served with collard greens, cornbread, hush puppies and strawberry shortbread for dessert.

    It's a Southern thang.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful... love the misty one... definitely has a fairytale quality :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delores; yes they are and I wish I knew why they had been added. Perhaps they clean up the blue-green toxic algae the flourishes in the summer.

    Merlesworld; welcome to drifting. Ducks are far prettier.

    Joanne; you're right, he does, I hadn't noticed that.

    Elephant's Child; perhaps if you mist them regularly? (as if you need extra work with all those bulbs waiting!) Are your Criniums growing in shade or sunshine?

    Cindi; that's how I like my fish too, on a plate surrounded by fries and salad.

    gaby@727m2;it's easy to imagine little fairy hollows down beside tree trunks and mossy rocks when there is mist about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get pics! We could have done without the catfish though. Lol. Second in a beauty comp only to the eel. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. MultipleMum; welcome to drifting, although I think you've been here before. I don't mind eels so much, they look a lot like snakes and they're okay, the snakes I mean. I don't think I'd like to come face to face with a moray eel while swimming though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why the misty one is your favourite one, River.

    It's about as 'anti-catfish' in attractiveness as you can get!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kath Lockett; does it make you think of Irish or Scottish fairy tales? Wee folk hiding in the mists in the woods?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs