I've slacked off a bit today

and yesterday too.

I didn't get a post worked out to schedule for 6am this morning, sort of thought maybe I'd get something done first thing after waking up.

Well, I slept in instead, did a load of washing, went to the city, came home and did another load of washing, had a nap, now here it is 5:51pm and no real post to speak of...

I'm eating left over pizza and wondering what to post tomorrow. Some photos from my holiday of course, but which ones?

Decisions, decisions...

Meanwhile, here is a short story, following a prompt from last Wednesday.

Delores, from A Feathered Nest, gave us this paragraph:-



 I have heard darkness described as mysterious, inky, like velvet...but the darkness in the old Davis mansion, with the last Davis reposing in his coffin across town in the Gentle Rest Funeral Home, was, simply put, horrifying.  I would have as soon sat at the side of old Mr. Davis’ coffin all night than stay in this hideous old mausoleum.  Yet, here I must stay, all the long, black, dismal night.  What’s worse, I have to stay here,  ALONE.

 ...followed by this question...

So........Who is he/she?  Why must he/she stay all night alone in the mansion?  What happens next?

Here is my story:

I have heard darkness described as mysterious, inky, like velvet...but the darkness in the old Davis mansion, with the last Davis reposing in his coffin across town in the Gentle Rest Funeral Home, was, simply put, horrifying.  I would have as soon sat at the side of old Mr. Davis’ coffin all night than stay in this hideous old mausoleum.  Yet, here I must stay, all the long, black, dismal night.  What’s worse, I have to stay here,  ALONE.

 The wake had been held in the huge old dining room and once everyone had left, the catering crew took over and started clearing away all those dishes and left over food.  It was my first catering job and the emotion in the room had quite overwhelmed me, so I took a quick break, going into the bathroom to splash cold water onto my face and generally compose myself.
I came out to find everyone gone and the house locked up for the night. I knew that most of the temporary assistants usually went straight home, so nobody would even know that I had been left behind.
I was stuck here in this creepy old house until the crew arrived in the morning to begin packing up old Mr. Davis’s belongings.
Why, why, had I forgotten to recharge the battery on my phone?

Comments

  1. Oh a bit of shock horror in that one. Obviously she survived to tell the tale but learned a lesson to always make sure her mobile was fully charged.
    It made me sad though when I saw you had posted this as I am missing Delores so much already.
    I look forward to your Sunday Selections which are always so enjoyable. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. And all the food from the wake would have been packed up too. Dark, creepy and hungry.
    I have seen the odd comment from Delores today so perhaps, just perhaps, she will come back to us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job.....I haven't tackled it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimsie; I was too sad yesterday to schedule a post for today, that's why this is up so late today.
    I make sure my mobile is always fully charged too after I missed a message about a shift change at work.

    Elephant's Child; I imagine she had a few nibbles while arranging platters and serving. I hope Delores does comment here and there, even if she doesn't post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delores; I'm looking forward to reading what you do with it. I'm so glad you dropped by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo HOO! Delores said YET. That means she's gonna do a post with this, right?

    Good job, River.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Wicked Writer; thank you.

    Susan; I whooped when I read "yet", a big woo-hoo! Looking forward to what Delores writes. Why not join us and write too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi River. It occurs to me that you might enjoy a blog I occasionally contribute to at http://annlinquist.wordpress.com/

    They’re a friendly bunch, and welcome others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs