Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesday’s, Delores, from Under The Porch Light, has a meme which she calls

“Words for Wednesday”.

She puts up a selection of six words which we then use in a short story, or a poem.

I’m hopeless at poetry so I always do a story.

It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:

1. indecent
2. vertical
3. deserted 
4. spectacles
5. moon
6. fleeting

we also have a phrase...."a brittle cold that snapped the twigs of trees like old men's bones" 

and a photo.

Here is my moment in time:

 

I stood on the bank of the deserted, dry riverbed cleaning smudges off my spectacles. My camera was ready, facing east, the tripod as vertical as possible, base firmly planted on a very large, almost completely flat rock. 

Tonight the moon was to be full. 

I had been offered an indecent amount of cash by my agent if I could photograph the moon in stages as it rose from the first glimmer of light to the full orb hanging fat and golden just above the horizon. 

For a fleeting moment I thought of what I would do with all that money. Perhaps a new lambskin jacket I thought, as I shivered in the brittle cold. 

I bent to check the focus of the camera. The sky was clear, indicating a heavy frost in the morning.

Comments

  1. Nice job. I shivered with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful double capture. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great slice of time. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delores; I'm shivering myself, but because the temperature here is dropping again. Seems summer can't make up her mind....

    Elephant's Child; thank you, I had to think a bit for this one.

    Susan Kane; glad you liked it.

    Anyone unable to leave comments here? apparently there is an issue for some, so email me your comment and I will copy paste it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I thought I might get a blast of sunshine to combat the brittle November cold up here :-)

    You painted a wonderful vignette. Now I'm dying to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely moment in time! You're so good at capturing the moment, but I want to know what happened the NEXT moment... did the clouds roll in and ruin her opportunity? Naaaaah. I'm sure she's happily spending all that money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. allison tait; welcome! I don't think you've been here before, I know I haven't been to your site in yonks. Thank you.

    Marie; sorry to make you shiver even more. I'm not sure there is more, not without a couple of years thinking....

    Happy Elf mom; thank you. Sadly, that's all I wrote.

    Susan; thank you. the NEXT moment is where I always get stuck, that's why I've taken the writing class, and it has been helpful, but I still can't move forward. I'll keep working at it, maybe not for this particular vignette.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs