Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, Elephant’s Child has been putting up a selection of six (or twelve) words which is called “Words for Wednesday”.
She had taken over this meme from Delores, who is gradually retiring from the blogging world.
This month the meme continues here, at Drifting Through Life

Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write.   

Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music or an image.   What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...
Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog.  I would really like it if as many people as possible joined into this fun meme.  If you are posting on your own blog - let me know so that I, and other participants, can come along and applaud.
I’m hopeless at poetry so I always do a story.
It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:
1. over
2. club
3. morning
4. grass
5. dead
6. front

and/or:

1. scrambled
2. playful
3. adding
4. regenerated
5. should
6. tank 

here is my story:

World Power   part three

It was a dark moonless night when they came for me. Well I can't be sure about that, we don't have windows in our rooms, but in the movies I'd seen, it usually was dark and moonless when nefarious deeds were afoot, and I liked the sound of it. Like the Ninjas I had seen in a movie, my black-clothed captors stole into my room and hauled me from my bed. My instinctive struggle was over in seconds.
By morning I was far away, in a white tiled room. The hood over my head had been removed; my arms and legs were beginning to recover from the dead feeling caused by the restraints. a camera lens winked at me from the ceiling, while a disembodied voice from a hidden speaker welcomed me to the 'new recruits' club, over and over.
I was very confused, my brain felt scrambled. As I struggled to stand, I noticed a bright grass green button had been added to the front of my grey suit.
I began calming my panicked mind by adding large numbers in my head. This had always helped me as a child, there was no reason it should not work now.
I kept looking at the bright green button. What did it signify? It reminded me of my early childhood when our suits were green and daily routines were a little more playful.  Suddenly, I remembered even more. this in itself was unusual. Day to day happenings were forgotten after a week or so, only those things that happened routinely every day were remembered. Until just now, I had not thought about, probably not remembered, my earlier years. 
This was not the first time I had been removed and recruited! At five years old, I had been taken from my peer group, at night, while I was sleeping, and brought to the buildings I had just been stolen from. I remembered a toy tank I had played with and never seen again.
I began to wonder if the memory, the remembering, was part of the reason for this new change. Had I done a bad thing by not taking those royal blue pills? Was I going to be punished for communicating with the burly man?
The disembodied voice began a new chant. 
You are to be regenerated; you are to be regenerated; over and over; as I stood there, fearful, yet hopeful this new beginning would help me learn more about why we were here; what was going on.


Comments

  1. And the story continues....well done, River...and very good use of this week's words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. You are to be regenerated doesn't sound good to me. At all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to continue this story? Say YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Hi River..... thanks for this new instalment of your story... I look forward to Friday's to see what you write... It's like when I was very young and we went to the Saturday afternoon movies and watched the next chapter in the serials..... great fun.....

    I hope Mrs Potato head didn't fall asleep...

    Angel is a bit naughty for scratching you.... I would have left him outside for a while too..... xxxx
    Have a great day...
    Hugs.. Barb xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee; thank you. I have a few notes already for the next chapter, but they're swirling around insanely. I need to sort them out.

    Elephant's Child; it does sound ominous doesn't it? Maybe not as bad as you think though.

    fishducky; yes.

    Barbara; I'm glad you're enjoying it. Angel scratches me often and it's intentional too, not the accidental scratchings of a kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the hell is this? What's it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  7. R.H. It's chapter 3 of my latest fiction writing, titled World Power Set in the future, 2959 I think I set it in, I'd have to check to be sure, but the world is vastly different then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief, I thought it was 1949, Ray Milland with the DTs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs