Sunday Selections # 242



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
  Andrew often joins in too.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week my theme is spring.

Spring has Sprung downunder, so I took my camera for a walk around the gardens here this morning, earlyish.
Come walk with me.

the acanthus is getting ready to bloom. We also know this as rice paper plant and bear claw.

I believe these are crocus, (I could be wrong), the flowers are similar to freesia but the foliage is very different.

a sea of white daisies

pots of echeveria, these are quite large pots yet there is still room to walk down the path. I must be the only one with a narrow path.....   :(

someone's jade is flowering well before mine.

peppermint geranium, the scent is quite delicate and released when the leaves are crushed.

here's a close-up of those flowers.

white ivy-leafed geranium, so called because>>

the leaves look like ivy and the plant will climb if given a support.

there is one pink hawthorn bush, and across the road>>

a mass of white. Six bushes at least. A whole hedge.

so pretty.

white ranunculus. WHITE!

look at those dreamy, creamy ruffles. *sigh*  I have to get some of these.

the rose bed has completely and thickly leafed out, buds are forming.

it was early enough that dewdrops and a thin layer of frost was still visible. Yes, frost. September mornings are still chilly and clear night skies bring frost.

enlarging will help you see the dewdrops better.

my own patch is quite colourful now too, in spite of the bare patches. Eventually the bulbs will multiply and the succulents will spread.

gorgeous purple wisteria, the scent on this is so strong right now, it will fade soon, then the flowers will be replaced by the leaves.

on the wisteria support frame is a tiny, tiny birdhouse, about 30cm tall.

wisteria blossoms.

























Comments

  1. Oooh. I am loving seeing your Spring. And your garden is looking very, very good.
    I don't think that is a crocus - mine all have single flowers, but will give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely fresh array. I love daisies. They're a simple flower, but I think they're beautiful. When Randall and I married I carried a small posy of white daisies that I picked from our garden.

    The ranunculus is stunning. Love it!

    Have yourself a good week ahead, River...and cuddles to Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring has sprung,
    the grass is riz,
    I wonder where the birdies is?
    The bird is on the wing!
    But that's absurd, I thought the wing was on the bird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! I've had no luck with ranunculus. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. They are beautiful little things.
    Wisteria one the other hand--we had our object d'art trellis built for wisteria. In on season it was beginning the tear off the siding on the house. End of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plenty of colour in your patch. I hope the cacti don't dominate the bulbs. Wisteria is glorious and how superb is ranunculus bloom. A great little walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Wisteria. That arch in the botanic gardens in Adelaide.. I spent a lot of time sitting in there, just enjoying the gorgeous-ness.

    It's making me want to find botanic gardens nearby. There's one in Wollongong which is about an hours drive, and there's one in Jervis Bay which I visited for the first time in January but that one for some reason I found to be deeply terrifying. I should write a post about it, I'm not sure I took any photos.

    Here's my post this week - our new plant protector recycled from the old chook triangle - Sunday Selections Week 38

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE these images, River.
    Acanthus is one of my favourite plants - so strong and sculptural, it has a lot of character. Perfect for difficult shaded spots too.
    Daisies are often underrated by some people - they are a hardy plant, so sweetly giving with their froth of cheery blossoms.
    That white ranunculus IS dreamy! I would love to have some too. Must keep it in mind.
    Wisteria is always a classic beauty. I love the bright green leaves and the bare, twisted trunk in winter.
    Your garden is looking absolutely terrific! Great job there. Please post more of it when you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* I love agapanthus. It won't grow here. (Since the temps. can drop as low as -30 C.)

    Beautiful ranunculus, wouldn't it be so spectacular in a moon garden? Wisteria is perfect in any type of garden, and your garden is filling out quite nicely!

    Seeing glimpses of spring as we head into our autumn and winter brought a smile to my face, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elephant's Child; you're right about that flower not being crocus, but I still call it that. I once planted bulbs that grew like that, I had them mixed with freesias around my mailbox, but can't remember the name. I'm going to have to get a bulb book from the library.

    Lee; I like white daisies over all other colours; this bush fairly close to home is the only one. All others here are pink. I've marked my diary for next March to go shopping for white ranunculus.

    fishducky; thank you, I'd forgotten most of those words, only remembering "spring is sprung, the grass is riz".

    Joanne; there's plenty of things I have no luck with, frangipani, tulips, etc. Wisteria is one of those really strong, rampant growers that needs a frame well away from the house.

    Andrew; the succulents will eventually cover most of the patch, while the bulbs die down seasonally. They should be able to poke through and send up their flowers though. That's the plan anyway.

    Snoskred; I'm surprised that a botanic garden would terrify anyone. Was it full of spiders? I've sat in our botanic wisteria arch a few times myself. It's popular with wedding photographers too, as is the rose arch. I once lived in a house that had a wisteria over the front porch, we put armchairs out there.

    Vicki; if I have enough bare shady area a couple of years from now, I plan to get a couple of acanthus, but it's a 'wait and see' plan. I love the bare wisteria in winter too, especially the really old plants that have had time to get all twisted and gnarly. I have white ranunculus written in next year's diary, in March.

    Jacquelineand...;I'm not a fan of agapanthus and there's way too much of it around here. Acanthus, on the other hand, is much nicer looking, large glossy leaves, tall flower spikes. I must remember to get a photo when those buds open. The ranunculus would be fantastic in a moon garden, I hadn't thought of that. I'm definitely getting some. Mine are all red this year. Last year I had yellow and pink as well. Those bulbs didn't survive I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very lovely. I do like wisteria except for the underground shoots that seem to go everywhere.
    The flowers are beautiful and I have never seen a Jade in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must admit, I am envious of you for starting into a season of growth, while our leave are turning, plants in the garden are dying, and there is snow on the mountains here, that will soon reach lower levels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs