Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, assorted people have been taking monthly turns at putting up a selection of six (or twelve) words which is called “Words for Wednesday”.

We have taken over this meme from Delores, who had been having computer problems.

This month the meme continues here, at the most - - of every moment. 

Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write.   

Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music or an image.   What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...

Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog.  I would really like it if as many people as possible joined into this fun meme.  If you are posting on your own blog - let us know so that I, and other participants, can come along and applaud.
 
I’m hopeless at poetry so I always do a story.


It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:

1. timer
2. sunshine
3. fan
4. bark
5. technical
6. crockpot

and/or:

1. business
2. application
3. rehearsal
4. experiences
5. significant
6. horizon

here is my story:

Ted and Gloria Chapter Four

 I added the final ingredients to the crockpot, set the timer and took my coffee out to the newly finished deck, to sit in the sunshine and admire the bark on the rainbow gums edging the national park that backed onto our property.
I sipped the coffee and let my mind wander ahead, one of the most significant experiences in our lives loomed on the horizon. This was not a rehearsal, this was the real thing. Our baby was soon to be born. 

I thought back to the day Ted and I had finally told Carol and Alan. Carol was over the moon with giddy excitement and within minutes was planning her grandson's application to a technical or business college. Or possibly both. Any grandchild of hers was sure to be a genius.

Ted and I had grinned wryly at each other, we'd known this would happen. Carol was well known for as a take-over micro-manager, planning every last detail. We cautioned her to be a little flexible. After all, the child was barely more than hand-palm sized right now and could quite possibly turn out to be a girl. 





"No matter," she'd replied, "the plan works well for a girl or a boy. Education is everything! And skills in business management never go astray." 

Alan had been much calmer on hearing the news. "Listen up," he'd said to Ted and me. "I've been a fan of your mum for years; her enthusiasm, her go get 'em attitude, but this baby is yours, not hers and you need to follow your hearts. Let the child grow into himself, or herself, whatever, and make the important decisions together." 

"But..." said Carol.
"Sweetheart, let them be for now," said Alan. "There'll be plenty of time later for more chats about our grandbaby."


Comments

  1. An excellent story! The sonogram is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I get the feeling this story was taken from real life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is perfectly wonderful, such a significant experience for sure! Also, I'm happy to say I think I'm on track with my posting this week in the correct place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredibly true to life... my Dad had plans for my daughter to be a concert pianist.

    She has the tiniest hands I've ever seen on an adult, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply lovely. And so very familiar to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mind immediately swung to the movie "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" when I started reading your tale, River.

    A heartwarming story...well done, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan Kane; it's a googled image, they weren't available back when I was expecting.

    fishducky; I have no idea, because it is totally fiction.

    Karen S; thank you and you can post anywhere you like, the word host's blog or your own, just let people know so they can read it.

    Jacquelineand...; so she plays a BABY grand piano? :D
    my parents never made future plans for me apart from seeing me married off. (*~*)

    Elephant's Child; thank you, it certainly is a significant life changing moment.

    Lee; i was wondering who else might think of that. I know the names but have never seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rainbow gums!! :)

    Must say, I much prefer Alan's philosophy, and hope that I'll be more like him when/if I one day find myself in a similar situation, and told the good news :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicki; I had to throw in the rainbow gums, they're so pretty. Alan's philosophy is much like my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely once again. You have put those words together beautifully...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm finally getting time to get caught up on this story! I came back to reread this chapter, and realized I never left a comment. That's because I got sidetracked - googling to find out what your were referring to by "rainbow gum." I loved the photos that I found- and I now want to see a rainbow gum tree!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs