Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, assorted people have been taking monthly turns at putting up a selection of six (or twelve) words which is called “Words for Wednesday”.

We have taken over this meme from Delores, who had been having computer problems.
This month the meme continues here, at Randomosity, with words and images supplied by Jacqueline.

Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write.   

Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music or an image.   What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...

Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog.  We would really like it if as many people as possible joined in with this fun meme.
If you are posting on your own blog - let us know so that we can come along and read your masterpiece.
 
I’m hopeless at poetry so I always do a story.

It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:
1. romp
2. wretch
3. ice cream
4. disdain
5. skirt
6. collide

we also have an image of a bulldog catching water drops from a drinking fountain, which I haven't used, and a phrase, "caught between horror and mirth"

Here is my story:

 Caught between horror and mirth is where I often find myself (and I like it) when watching many of my favourite TV shows. Usually I'm eating ice cream late at night while watching this stuff, which results in some pretty wacky dreams in the hours just before waking.
Sometimes a show is either poorly made or poorly acted or the script is so unbelievable, I watch with disdain as they romp through their allotted half hour. Those shows don't get a second chance.

The show I'm currently watching is Fantasy Science Fiction and has several episodes where people have switched bodies. You all remember the movie Freaky Friday? Like that. Two brothers find themselves in each other's bodies. The male police chief finds himself wearing a skirt when he switches bodies with the female county coroner. 

These things can be funny, hence the mirth, but also horrifying when watching what happens to some of these characters as they try to resolve the problems. People blow up, people get chained to furniture, etc. which doesn't sound too horrifying here, but in proper context, the watcher, (that's me), worries that favourite characters may not make it through the episode.

Other episodes have had time zones collide when characters suddenly find themselves back in the 1950s.

In other shows, CSI or Criminal Minds style, there is often someone with some sort of emotional or mental problem who is living a wretched existence either hiding away from the population or viciously murdering people. Sometimes both. 

Some of my friends ask me why I watch these shows, the Criminal Minds and CSI stuff. They shudder and tell me they couldn't possibly watch all that blood and guts killing, yet these same people happily watch all the bad stuff in the nightly news programs and have no trouble with that.

I prefer to see fake bad stuff and Fantasy Science Fiction, rather than see all the real bad stuff.
I know it's out there. I'm careful. I lock my doors and windows.

Comments

  1. It is ok when it is out there - it is when it moves inside with me (or is me) that I worry.
    Another brilliant use of the prompts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to disassociate myself from fake bad stuff. I keep telling myself, this isn't real, just a movie but I still can't watch anything that smacks of violence. Another good post, using all the words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get too tense watching that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elephant's Child; that's why I keep my doors and windows locked and make sure my bag is safely zipped when I'm out. and I have the police station on speed dial.

    Manzanita; I can, because everything is resolved in the allotted 45 minutes and women wear bras and makeup to bed. I suppose there are other methods that my brain takes care of without me having to say "it's just a movie".

    Delores; a lot of people do. My ex the 2nd can't watch this stuff without nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Delores on this one... although I don't have a problem with Walking Dead. I suppose it's because it has such a rich and complex story line.

    Beautiful use of the prompts, River. Once again I tip my hat to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaquelineand....thank you, come back tomorrow for a fictional use of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must have lost my marbles, too...or losing them. I thought I'd commented on this. I think my mind is foggy from the steamy heat we've been experiencing!

    I like a good crime drama, (TV and movies) and watch most of them, too. One of my all-time favourites, which has now ended...forever...is "Dexter"...I loved dear old Dex.

    Good use of the words again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs