Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, assorted people have been taking monthly turns at putting up a selection of six (or twelve) words which is called “Words for Wednesday”.

We have taken over this meme from Delores, who had been having computer problems.
This month the meme continues here, at Elephant’s Child, with words and images supplied by Sue.
Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write. 
 
Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music or an image.   What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...

Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog.  We would really like it if as many people as possible joined in with this fun meme.
If you are posting on your own blog - let us know, in our comments section,so that we can come along and read your masterpiece.
 
I’m hopeless at poetry so I always do a story.
It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:
1. grease
2. ambivalent
3. fiendish
4. exquisite
5. terrific
6. evolution

and/or:
1.  tongue
2. adaptive
3. angriest
4. furry
5. bold
6. zombie

there are also two very pretty images, which I haven't used, they may find their way into a future story.

Here is my story:

Joe slicked back his hair with grease, like the boys in the movie of the same name. He had a fiendish sense of humour, always making me laugh, a quick tongue with the jokes and witty repartee, and his bold dark eyes gave me the most exquisite shivery thrills.
It was hard to keep pretending (and I'm sure Joe knew I was pretending and why), to be ambivalent about our friendship, but I had to play it this way. at least for now, until my Mum talked my Dad into actually meeting him properly.

We'd had a terrific time at the fair, Joe and I, and I'd won a furry teddy bear on the skittle throw. But when Dad heard who I'd gone to the fair with, he had transformed suddenly from a TV watching zombie into the angriest Dad I'd ever seen.
He roared at me," after millenia of adaptive evolution, THIS is what you choose to go out with?! This...this...greasy monkey caveman type??"

Mum came rushing in from the kitchen and sent me to my room, said she'd talk to him a bit, calm him down, then we'd all sit and have a nice long chat.

Comments

  1. I remember getting a talk like that once...

    Very well done River and VERY true to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. My father wasn't at all good at changing his mind.
    And yes, it is real - and very, very familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not having a father play a role in my life at any time other than in the conception, my late older brother, Graham took on the role...self-appointed (and unwanted by me) of scrutinizing my would-be, may-be, hopeful contenders!

    Good story..you used the words descriptively and well...I enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cranky; thank you. I was wondering how well this would go, it doesn't bear any reference at all to my life.

    Elephant's Child; thank you. My dad didn't care much at all, he wanted me married off as soon as possible so I'd be off his hands.

    Lee; thank you. my dad wasn't much interested in me either, I learned a long time ago that he wished I'd gone with mum when she left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phooey on what her father says. Joe sounds a lot like my husband when we were young. And except for having little hair left to grease back, he hasn't changed much at all. My father wasn't thrilled about us dating, either, because he thought I was seeing an "older man." HA! Wasn't HIS fault I still looked like a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan; her dad would prefer a 'professional' type with a large salary and clean hands. a collar and tie man. He'll probably come around when he sees how much Joe loves his daughter. That's if I ever get around to writing more chapters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs