Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, assorted people have been taking monthly turns at putting up a selection of words which is called “Words for Wednesday”.

This month the meme continues here, at  with words supplied by Carolyn McBride.

Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write.   

Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music or images.   What we do with those prompts is up to us:  a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore...

Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog.  We would really like it if as many people as possible joined in with this fun meme.

If you are posting on your own blog - let us know so that we can come along and read your masterpiece.
It’s a fun challenge…why not join in?

This week's words are:

1. stars
2. rain
3. smell
4. blood
5. moonshadow

and there is a gorgeous picture of a space nebula with blue and red galaxies, which I have not used.

Here is my story:

Years ago, as reckless and slightly drunk teenagers, the hypnotism game had seemed like harmless fun. None of the boys thought it would actually work. And for most of them it didn't. 

But Tom was unknowingly hypnotised when the song "Moonshadow" began playing on the radio. He disliked it because his little sister had been practising it endlessly for a few weeks now on her guitar. Her teacher had said it was one of the easiest songs to learn to play.
When Tom heard it begin playing he declared loudly, "if I ever hear this song again, I'll go out and kill someone".

Unfortunately for Tom, that's exactly what he did and spent several years in prison for manslaughter after the jury heard he'd been hypnotised as a teenager, so wasn't fully accountable for his actions. 

When released from prison, Tom took himself away from civilisation and lived alone in a small cabin near a river where he was able to live in peace.
Ten years later, he decided a little company might be a nice idea and bought a tiny battery operated radio. 
Sitting in the dark, listening to the music one night, the radio began playing "Moonshadow"

Hours later, Tom came out of the induced hypnotic trance and gazed up at the stars as gentle rain began falling, washing away the smell and the blood from his hands and clothes as he silently thanked his isolation. "At least I didn't kill a person", he thought. "Just the rabbit that has been eating my lettuces."
He let the rain wash away most of the evidence, then walked inside and smashed the tiny radio.
It occurred to him then, that perhaps he could somehow become unhypnotised, he'd write some letters to doctors and find out.

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness River how did you ever come up with this? Loved it. I think he was going to need a lot more help that letters to doctors. Glad only rabbits were in danger...poor rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; I'm not sure how I came up with it, there was an idea and the words just flowed. I do feel sorry for the rabbit though.

      Delete
  2. Thanks to you, I'll never experience the same old happy hippy-dippy feelings of sweetness and lightness when I hear "Moonshadow" again. Now I'll think about some glassy-eyed dude with blood on his hands...

    Which, I suppose, means you did another great job with the words this week. Very clever. (But, man, couldn't you have picked on another song...? HA!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; sorry, "Moonshadow" is a particular hate of mine and I hear it far too often on the easy listening station my radio is tuned to.
      I'm glad you liked the story though.

      Delete
  3. Great, now I have that song stuck in my head. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; thank you. Now I have the song in my head too :(
      I'm going to have to play some Billy Idol or Jimmy Barnes to get it out.

      Delete
  4. Ouch. Cat Stevens would be cringing...
    A very different use of the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I hope Cat Stevens doesn't mind. I like to do something different now and again.

      Delete
  5. Well...that certainly is a gruesome start to Friday!! Watch out, Stephen King...River is right on your "tale"!!!

    Every time I hear "Moon Shadow" from now on, I'll be hearing it in a different light!! :)

    Stop watching "American Horror Story", River! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I'm rivalling Stephen King now? Woo-Hoo :)
      Thank you.
      I have never ever watched American Horror Story.

      Delete
  6. River. Great story E. Poor Bunny. BTW Mariah Carey must be ON line and saw that recent post , re the pic in todays Sydney Telegraph her wearing FISH NET STOCKINGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vest; thank you; I feel sorry for the bunny too.
      Fishnet stockings should be banned, they're just not a good look, not for anybody.

      Delete
  7. Excellent! Every word was a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; thank you, I was hoping people could picture the scene.

      Delete
  8. I didn't know that you could write scary stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; I didn't know either until I began these word challenges. Now the scary side shows itself once in a while. I have a couple of stories started that are a bit on the scary side; they've never been on the blog though. Not yet anyway.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, what a story - great creative mind you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So M C is a bitovadog for donning fishnets. no wonder Jamie sent her packing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; that may not have been the reason, but I still maintain fishnets are only good for catching fish.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed reading that in the gloom of an autumn night

    ReplyDelete
  12. John Gray; welcome to drifting and thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs