Sunday Selections # 374

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.

Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.


If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


continuing with last week's post:  

this is my old bamboo garden chair, folded

I've noticed some of the wood isn't actually bamboo, but replacement parts

the bindings are bamboo, I think, maybe some form of wicker?

not in the best condition anymore and it was already old when I found it during kerbside collection week about 10 years ago

a good brushing to remove dust and spiderwebs

and loose bits of timber/bamboo

I'm using this furniture polish and restorer. I planned on decking oil, but this was already here in my cupboard and Bunnings is several suburbs away


a scrappy old paintbrush, which was once a make-up brush that I cleaned dust off the keyboard with

I laid the chair sideways to do the bottoms of the legs first

here you can see the difference between the oiled right hand legs and the unoiled left hand legs

some of the seat binding has come loose, I'll stick that down with a bit of super glue later

the difference here is really noticeable, I wish now I'd brought the chair in for oiling a couple of years ago

here it is finished, drying and waiting for a new (old) home on the front porch, where I had it when I first moved in here

more next week....
















Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Joanne; thank you. It's a very exposed front porch though, no weather protection at all, so I'm going to have to recondition the chair at least once a year.

      Delete
  2. It is amazing how much better it looks. And reminds me that I need to oil our outside table and benches. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; it does look so much better but not the same colour as when I first picked it up all those years ago. Back then it had a coat of some sort of varnish.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. only slightly confused; it is a nice old thing, most people seem to like it.

      Delete
  4. And now you'll be able to catch the morning (or afternoon) sun while reading a good book.

    I hope the coming week treats you well,
    River....cuddles to Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; far too hot on the front porch for sitting in the sun, usually I just rest my shopping bag on the chair while I unlock the front door. The coming week is forecast to be 33C until Thursday, so I will be inside a lot.

      Delete
    2. Well...winter is on its way - somewhere down the track...and it was winter to which I was referring. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed. The timber looked hungry for some oil or something. Now you can sit on the front porch and note the comings and goings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I thought about oiling the chair a long time ago and should have done it then, but better late than never. I very rarely sit out there though, it's way too hot and glaring, full exposure and no shade at all.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. joeh; thank you, it was fun, I like doing that sort of thing.

      Delete
  7. Certainly you did an excellent job on the clean up of the chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; perhaps I've found my 'calling' :)

      Delete
  8. That's an amazing transformation! I think you earned the title "The Chair Doctor" with that treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; it turned out well didn't it? I like making old furniture look better. Several years ago I featured an old kitchen cabinet I repainted. I'll post a photo of it again soon so you can see that and maybe my bedroom furniture which I painted myself.

      Delete
  9. It is what I could do with , a few repairs and a scrape here and there and a new coat of paint. oh ; and a bit of lubrication around the moving parts.

    Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; I could do with a repair or two myself, but I'll skip the coat of paint.

      Delete
  10. It now looks welcoming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; it does! which might be a problem. I don't want hordes of people coming to my front door.

      Delete
  11. Wow, what a difference. You took years off the chair and made it useful again. Hum, wonder if that polish would work on humans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; the chair does need a few more coats, the wood was extremely dried. I don't think it would work on anyone except Pinocchio.

      Delete
  12. Restoring old things and making them new is a joyful thing!

    And i am finally here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; it is fun, but not something i can do as much anymore, my shoulders keep getting inflamed and/or frozen :(

      Delete
  13. I can't recall ever seeing a folding bamboo chair before. It's so much more attractive than aluminum and plastic, and you did a super job with that oil. Do you think there's any chance of the oil coming off on your clothing? I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you rescued that poor abandoned chair. It looks terrific now. Great job!

    P.S. The book is available on Amazon in Australia. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs