Sunday Selections #?

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.

Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.


If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


inside my home:

things in the freezer don't always get a pretty fern frost pattern, sometimes it's pearls instead.

you all liked EC's smiley spoons so much, I thought I'd show off mine. These are hard plastic and were a Christmas Only item on sale in Target several years ago.

Here's Gracula, guarding his hoard of garlic.

one corner of my TV unit

a closer look at the fake Bonsai plant

right down by the tree trunk, 4 miniature plastic park benches. I bought them online, 2 in a pack, for $1 a pack, free delivery, all the way from China! The Bonsai had just that green whatever-that-is "lawn" and I added the pebbles myself, to make it look better. I have another one on the ledge above my sink, again with pebbles, but without the benches and at Christmas I hang tiny fake gifts on it.

this is my green glass vase which holds 16GB usb's which hold TV series such as  Agatha Raisin, Jack Irish, Murdoch Mysteries etc. I'm currently watching The Librarians.

the blue glass bowl, which is rounder than it looks, this is a bad camera angle and I couldn't be bothered taking the photo again. This holds 16GB usb's with movies, I have the movies listed in a notebook and the first movie on each one is written on a label and stuck to the usb. Each one holds between 15 and 21 movies depending on the length of the movies.  The 8GB usb's hold fewer movies of course. Very handy for when I'm laid up with back pain, I can plug in one of these and just watch movies without having to get up and change DVD discs.

my glass ashtray holds shells collected from a trip to the beach.

moving on to household tips:

buy a regular bottle brush and cut the bristles until they're only about 1cm from the wire,

use it to scrub the kitchen and bathroom drains, but beware the spatter effect. Wear an apron and wipe down nearby surfaces after, including your eyeglasses (*~*) if you weren't careful enough.

when cooking a yummy yummy potroast, prepare the cooking liquid before you start,

and always, always, make too much, in case you need to top up the liquid level, because topping up with plain water dilutes the flavour and no one wants that to happen.










Comments

  1. I used to have a shell collection, not sure what happened to it. Shells fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh; I like shells, but a lot of the ones on our beaches are plain old white cockle shells.

      Delete
  2. Love your quirky pieces - and your hints.
    And thanks for the reminder about splatter. I am a messy grub often.
    PS: Counting back (which I did after my break) tells me that this is Sunday Selections 373.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I try to keep ahead of splatter but often enough the morning light reveals where I forgot to wipe up the night before. I'll make a note of the SS number.

      Delete
  3. It's not Easter Sunday after all...it is Helpful Hints Sunday! :)

    Between you and me we must have a massive collection of movies etc. I, too, have a stack of USBs, external hard drives filled with movies, and then, I also use the streaming services of Netflix, Stan and Foxtel Now!!! Guess what I've been doing this weekend!

    Have a wonderful week, River...cuddles to Lovely Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I don't have Netflix, Stan or Foxtel. I have two external hard drives which I send to my daughter alternately to get series episodes and movies, which I then transfer to usb's.

      Delete
  4. The spoons are cute and one looks very surprised about something. There is an ad on tv which is something to do with gambling and an Asian man is tending his bonsai and accidently cuts a main branch off. I don't see the connection to the ad, but I thought it was a bit funny. The benches are a nice addition to your non prunable bonsai variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; the red one is probably surprised that he gets chosen so often for a hot pot stir. I haven't seen that ad, I tend to not notice ads as much as possible and I usually have dvds playing anyway.

      Delete
  5. The best bonsai to have the plastic ones, I have fake flowers in my house real ones play up with my hayfever, I like you spoons too.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; I only have three inside plants, all plastic. Like you, I have hayfever and can't have real plants in the house.

      Delete
  6. I love your idea of the bottle brush. I have some... oh not very nice areas up under the drain in my sink that could use a little love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BAH 3:03 pm? It's only barely Sunday here, 12:30 in the morning. You really are a long way in the future.

      Delete
    2. Happy Elf Christine; Not so far in the future that we aren't on the same day eventually for a few hours.

      Delete
  7. Gracula and bonsai and house hints, all very nice selections.

    My A to Z has started over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, i can no longer link to my blog in a comment. Probably i am doing something wrong, but i have no clue what this time.

      Delete
    2. messymimi; I've never known how to link in comments, so I can't say what might be going wrong. I'll be over and check your A-Z soon.

      Delete
  8. The bonsai tree with the park benches under it calls to me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; it's a message to take a walk in the park and sit in the sun :)

      Delete
  9. Love those smiley spoons. Also like that fake bonsai. Think I might could keep that kind looking nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; fake plants are the best, no watering, no pruning and when they get too dusty just sit them under the shower for a bit.

      Delete
  10. Thought the smiley spoons were brilliant - they did make me smile.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowcarb team member; they are plastic, so handy for non stick pots.

      Delete
  11. I've never seen those smiley spoons before! Genius says he loves his Gracula (that I sent him after seeing yours here), but he hasn't used it yet, because the week before I surprised him with it, he was tired of preparing his own, and bought a jar of minced garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I did feature the spoons once before, when I first bought them, but we didn't know each other's blogs then. The minced garlic will run out soon enough and Genius will use his Gracula. I used mine this morning to make a batch of garlic butter for garlic bread tonight.

      Delete
  12. Love those spoons. USB's good idea to write on them (label), I keep mine in a zipped black small bag in a drawer, every time I want one it's always the last one I pull out that's empty..because I don't label them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; I label everything. I like knowing what's what around here.

      Delete
  13. I do like your spoons and your tip about pruning a regular bottle brush to make a sink drain scrubber. I was going to ask how you got the movies to put on the USB's but I saw the answer further up in the comments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; I used to use an old toothbrush in the drains, but it just wasn't doing a good job, so I cut an old bottle brush which I'd bought to clean those tall, skinny coffee mugs that were all the rage several years ago.

      Delete
  14. There are so many things here to love, but I especially like the spoons, that cute little Gracula and the bonsai with its own tiny park benches. Now I'm gonna have to go on a mission to find the spoons and garlic dude for my daughter and me. She'd love them as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; I'm not sure I remember the website for Gracula, but you'd find him on google I'm sure.
      Those tiny park benches make the bonsai look like a giant oak tree.

      Delete
  15. Remember. If you ever lose a spoon simply ask the dish for its whereabouts if you lose the dish also you can bet they have run away. Unusual pics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs