Galileo Thermometer

Based on a discovery by Galileo Galilei 1564-1642

History:
Searching for a way to measure exact temperatures, Galileo discovered this fascinating method. He placed several exactly weighted balls in a cylinder filled with a certain liquid. He found that the balls rose or fell according to the temperature. By this method, he was able to determine the current temperature.

How It Works:
This thermometer works on the principle that the density of a liquid changes as the temperature varies. Each of the glass balls is exactly weighted by partially filling them with liquid. When the temperature rises, the liquid in the glass cylinder becomes less dense, and the heavier balls sink to the bottom.

How to Read:
Place thermometer on a flat surface. The lowest temperature ball within the group at the top of the cylinder tells the current temperature.



this is the picture from the leaflet enclosed with the thermometer and this is what it reads:


A. The lowest floating ball indicates the current temperature.
B. If all the balls float to the top, the temperature is below the lowest floating ball.
C. If all the balls sink, the temperature is above the highest ball.

here is the base of the thermometer, blurry, but you can see the two heaviest balls have sunk to the  bottom


here are the remaining four balls at the top of the cylinder. 
You can see that each has a small golden tag attached with a number on it, these range from 18C up to 28C.
The lowest ball here reads 22C which is the current, comfortable temperature of my lounge room. These balls will change position after I go to bed which is when I turn off the air conditioner. 
Expected lowest temperature tonight (Sunday) is 5C according to the weather girl on the TV. 
I'll be snuggled under my doona...


Comments

  1. Wow...that is a complicated method of telling the temp......fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; not so complicated, just need to look at the temperature on the tag of whichever ball is closest to the centre of the cylinder. I imagine it would have been complicated for Galileo to work out the mechanics of this all those centuries ago.

      Delete
  2. I forgot, what does Lola think of this? Has she noticed the balls drift about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; the balls don't drift much, not noticeably anyway and the thermometer is on a cupboard Lola doesn't get up on to. I did show it to her when I got it and she had a sniff, but she ignores everything on that cupboard.

      Delete
  3. We have one (it was a gift to himself). Those early scientists were such clever people. And I love that many of their learnings are still valid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; they're pretty as well as practical and I love that. Those early scientists were so very smart, I wish I had half their brain power.

      Delete
  4. I always wondered how this works. I have thought about buying one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; it's a pretty and practical ornament and they come in different sizes, some are huge floor models. Mine is a small one about 11 inches high and probably 2 inches diameter.

      Delete
  5. It is quite fascinating. I think I should have one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; go ahead, spoil yourself. The balls don't move about noticeably, if you want something colourful to watch you'd be better of with an aquarium, but this is a pretty, practical ornament

      Delete
  6. While i've seen them before, i never understood how they work. Thanks for the explanation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I've always known how they work, probably someone explained it to me long ago.

      Delete
  7. Ingenious, the really tricky part must have been calibration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh; yes and for that, we thank Galileo, while wishing I was as smart as those early scientists. Or even any scientist.

      Delete
  8. That is so cool! Thanks for the pictures and explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; you're welcome. Will you buy one or wait for one to be found at one of Farmer H's auctions?

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Lee; I have wooden floors too so as I walk past I hear the balls tinkle against each other.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Around My Kitchen Table; I'm not sciency at all, although I'd like to be, and I find things like this fascinating too.

      Delete
  11. I am always flummoxed at how early scientists came up with these inventions. If nothing else, it is a great conversation piece but think I'd keep the instructions handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I have the instructions tucked away in a drawer, I quickly got used to looking for the tag nearest the centre of the cylinder for the temperature.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the explanation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; dead simple really when it comes to reading it, but the brain that devised it must have been so very clever.

      Delete
  13. Sooooo cool that you have one of these! I absolutely love gadgets based on scientific principles that were discovered long ago. Ooooh... good gift idea for Smarticus. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susaqn; I hope Smarticus enjoys his gift. You'll enjoy watching it too.

      Delete
  14. Re, 2nd from final paragraph. Oddly so do mine when i go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It may seem rather odd to some people but I rarely peruse the thermometer, I seem to have the uncanny knack of knowing when it is cold or hot. and dress accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; sometimes I like to know just how hot or cold I am, even though I have already dressed accordingly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs