Sunday Selections # 402

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.


Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.

If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


we're still in the Botanic Gardens this week, looking at those brilliant red somethings...

I have no idea what they are, but the colour against the foliage was stunning in the sunlight

the stamens inside each flower suggests a lily of some kind, but I'm happy enough not knowing. I'm allergic to most lilies.

an espaliered tree against the Digger's Shop wall, V told us it was a quince

the leaves hang rather prettily,

and the flowers stand nicely above them, reminding me a little of magnolias.

From here we went to the kiosk for a bit of lunch and coffee, hot chocolate for me though:

when we got there, we noticed ALL the chairs were different, this one pictured is gorgeous in my opinion, I wanted to carry it home. Solid wood and very heavy.

nice detail on the back slats

and the front legs

here is the back view, I took these photos while N was inside ordering her coffee and sandwich, those are V's legs you see there

a close-up of the seat. A truly magnificent chair. Possibly teak.

the empty table next to us was visited by this Ibis who kept jumping up and rummaging through the scraps left by the previous customers. I'm assuming this is a female, because the next bird has a beard so must be male.

and here he is. Of course I could be wrong, perhaps they all have beards and I just didn't notice one on the other bird.












Comments

  1. Whenever I see an espaliered tree, I wish I had the time and patience to train one. They look so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; if I ever have the chance to own a home again, I'll have espaliered fruit trees, because they take up much less room, yet still give enough fruit for just a few people.

      Delete
  2. You have a lovely Botanic Garden. You are right about that chair, it's lovely and well built.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I suspect there was a sale of odd chairs somewhere and the gardens people snapped them up. Or perhaps they were donated. Our gardens are lovely at any time of the year.

      Delete
  3. Love the Botanic Gardens visit - and that chair. What a beauty. It looks comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I wish I'd thought to sit on it just to check the comfort level. Perhaps it will be vacant next time I go.

      Delete
  4. Amazing. As we head to winter, you are in a delightfully beautiful spring.

    mismatched chairs make a place have a charm that misses in splash and plastic cafes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I dislike plastic chairs, they seem too flimsy. The kiosk there has all wooden chairs, in many different styles. I'm enjoying our spring, apart from the hayfever sniffles.

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely old chair..I bet it has a few stories to tell and has held a few bums over the years! :)

    Have a great week, River...cuddles to lovely Lady Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; imagine if chairs could talk. Much like walls, I bet there'd be some great stories. Lola is asleep on the windowsill.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful--of course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; how did I miss this comment yesterday? I knew you'd agree with me.

      Delete
  7. I love the red something, but that brick-wall tree I love MORE! The details on the chair are amazing. I would not have noticed without the closeups, other than the seat portion itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; don't espaliered trees make a lovely wall decoration? And they provide fruit too. I love the chair much as I loved that Banyan tree, also called a strangler fig, from a previous post.

      Delete
  8. Those chairs look comfortable but I'm guessing they would be difficult to move around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs