Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by Margaret Adamson and friend and can be found here.

This week's words are: 

1. haircut
2. speculate
3. dangling
4. molluscs
5. crinoline
6. couches

and/or:

1. basketball
2. thimble
3. knickers
4. juggling
5. freelance
6. parachute

Here is my story: (with most of the words):


Betty parked her car and walked around to the front of the thrift shop. Named Sally’s Sweet Seconds, it had only been open for a year, but business had been reasonably good. One didn’t normally see a thrift shop in the high end of town, but Betty supposed even the rich needed somewhere to pass on their unwanted stuff.

Fishing for the keys, she didn’t notice at first, but when she looked up, Betty stopped dead in her tracks. Six large carboard cartons labelled “donations” were blocking the entrance to the store. She managed to nudge one aside and open the door, heading straight for the phone.

“Edith! It’s me, Betty. You’ve got to get down here right away!” “Oh no,” said Edith. “What’s happened? Should I bring the police or an ambulance?” “No, no, nothing like that,” said Betty. “It’s just someone has left us a huge donation. Six big boxes, sealed with duct tape and labelled with a sharpie pen.”

Edith put down the phone and called to her husband, Gary. “I’ve got to get down to the shop, someone’s left things there and Betty needs a hand.” Engrossed in a TV program, Gary just waved a hand in her direction to indicate he’d heard and off she went.

Arriving at Sally’s Sweet Seconds, she saw that Betty had managed to drag a couple of the boxes inside. ‘What do you suppose could be in them?” said Edith. “I won’t even begin to speculate,” said Betty. “But let’s call Rosa before we start opening, she loves surprises, declaring each new box almost as good as Christmas.”

“I’ll phone her, lucky today is only a sorting day, we don’t have to open to the public, so we can take our time with these.” Rosa promised to be on her way within half an hour and the two women sat in the small kitchen at the back of the shop to wait for her. “We could probably rip off the duct tape while we wait,” said Edith. “I hate that stuff,” said Betty. “You do it and I’ll make us a cup of tea. Is there anything left in the biscuit tin?”

Sitting with cups of tea and sadly, no biscuits, the women waited for Rosa to arrive. “You know, Betty,” said Edith, “if we put a couple of small couches alongside that window wall, we’d be a lot more comfortable and others could sit and wait while their friends rummage through the racks.” “That’s a good idea,” said Betty. “I’ll mention it to Sally next time she comes around. Here’s Rosa, oh my goodness! Look at that! She’s had a haircut!”

“No!,” exclaimed Edith. “After all these years? What made her do that I wonder? Rosa! I love the new hairdo, what made you cut off all that hair?” “Bob wants to take a holiday in Mexico this summer and several people have told me how hot it is there and being on holiday, I didn’t want to waste time each day putting it all up every morning,” said Rosa. “Now let’s get into these boxes!” “You don’t want a cup of tea first?” said Betty. “Heck no,” said Rosa. “I’d rather open boxes. No idea at all where they came from?” she said as she pulled open the first one. On top of several nicely folded nightgowns sat a tray of dangling earrings. Rosa gasped. “I know where these are from,” she said.

“These are from Sally’s mother’s place. I remember cleaning these earrings for her after each outing. My mother was her personal maid, she used to tell me ironing all those crinolines was hard work and something she hoped to never do again. These are real gold and silver and the stones are genuine.”

Betty said, “Sally did say she would be clearing her mother’s house after the funeral, but these are much too good for a thrift shop.” Edith began taking out the nightgowns. “These feel like real silk,” she said. “They are,” said Rosa. “And not that second-hand parachute silk my grandma made knickers from after the war either. This is the best silk available, I don’t recall where she said it came from.” “We’ll have to put a decent price on them,” said Betty. “Did Sally say when she would be back in town?” “I haven’t heard from her in a while,” said Rosa. “She’s busy juggling kids and a job, she’s doing freelance articles for a local newspaper. Her last letter said finding time to get down here is like trying to fit a basketball into a thimble. I thought I read it to you last time we were all together.” “I don’t recall that,” said Edith. “But if these are her mother’s things, how did they get here if Sally didn’t bring them?”

“Sally did bring them,” said a voice from the doorway. Sally herself stepped into the shop and Edith, Betty and Rosa all clustered around her, like bees to their queen. I had Ryan rent a truck and we drove down late last night. We dropped the boxes here early this morning and I came to tell you I’ll be leaving Sally’s Sweet Seconds in your capable hands for the next few months. We need to stay in Jonestown until Mother’s house is sold and then decide what to do. I love your new hairdo Rosa.”

Comments

  1. Well done, not an easy bunch of words to have to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh; I did get flummoxed for a few seconds, but the brain kicked itself into gear.

      Delete
  2. That was a fun read and you used all the words. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; I missed molluscs, but I'm sure I can fit it in somewhere else some other time. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. I really, really enjoyed this - and would love to read more stories about Sally's Sweet Seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I wouldn't mind reading more of it myself, but I didn't write anymore :(
      Yet.

      Delete
  4. Another enjoyable, imaginative tale, River. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smooth use of words - nothing awkward. You're so good at this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice story, and it's great that she has friends she trusts to run the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; these are old friends who have known each other for years, Sally is younger, but these older women were friends of her mother.

      Delete
  7. Maybe Sally can cough up a couple of couches, too! She's a real treasure, just like her donated boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I'm sure a couple of couches will appear in a later chapter.

      Delete
  8. The crinolines and dresses may get snapped up by a theatrical org , but who wears silk Knickers these days (Names Please) unless anticipating a rumble in the boudoir to impress a new lover. Nice story E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; the silk knickers may also be snapped up by theatre companies.

      Delete
  9. I got involved in the mystery and almost forgot to look for the words. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; It's good when a story takes you in, right? Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Arkansas Patti. Often the words get in the way of a good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; if the words are in the way, the story is written wrong.

      Delete
  11. Women always have the last word, is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you wrote about what was in one of the boxes; my curiosity was brimming :)

    As always, a very smooth use of the words indeed. Your stories always leave me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs