Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by messymimi and can be found here.

This week's words are:

1. abounding
2. sloppy
3. quince
4. spiritual
5. toothpaste
6. cent

and/or:

1. debonair
2. blind
3. instrument
4. bouncy
5. horn
6. decision

Here is my story: an installment of Lost and Found


Late in the afternoon, after spending most of the morning on the reef and getting quite wet from the waves, Robert, Vanessa and Tom climbed back up to the retreat. Vanessa was eager for a shower and change of clothes and as she put it “a bucket load of moisturiser on my face!” After they had all freshened up Rob and Van met with Ed and Sara in the sitting room while Tom took his camera and bag of films to the newly refurbished darkroom. He set the films aside, set out trays and checked the paper supply, deciding to spend a couple of hours after dinner with developing today’s photos. “The black and white ones first,” he thought, “the colour film can wait.”

He arrived in the sitting room in time to hear the tail end of a conversation; “I always liked Fred Astaire,” Sara was saying. “Such a debonair gentleman.” Vanessa said, “My Aunt Louise always called him ‘the dapper tapper’ and I think she watched every movie he ever made.” Ed said, ”You know, I remember Stephanie can tap dance. She’s no Ginger Rogers, but she knows her way around a stage. Do you think we can somehow bring that back for her?” Tom sat in the only available seat and said, “I can’t dance, I always feel awkward out on a dance floor and seem to have three left feet. But I have an idea about Stephanie. She liked to dance, right?” Ed and Sara nodded and Tom continued, “what about some music therapy to go along with the painting therapy? If we can wake her up to rhythm and tempo, perhaps other things will follow?”

“That’s a great idea,” said Vanessa. “I wouldn’t have thought of that,” said Ed. “I should have thought of it,” said Sara. “I’ve been blind. We have an old piano here and I’ve seen her touch it as she walks past.” “Do you have any other kind of musical instrument here?” asked Rob. “What about a record player and some old dance music? A few waltzes or something a bit bouncy to get her toes tapping? If we just played it quietly in the background she might begin to listen in. And by “we” I mean you two, Van and I will have to be getting back to the farm in a day or so. What about you Tom? Are you coming or staying?” “I think I’ll stay a while longer if that’s alright with you two,” said Tom. “You’ve got Gary to help out, I’m sure he won’t mind staying on if you need him and there’s things I need to do here. Talk to the Police for a start.  But when and where?”  A horn outside announced the arrival of a car and Tom looked through the window to see Detective Inspector Stanley Grace and Detective Irene Fargo stepping out of their hired car. He turned back to the others. “Well, it looks like the when and where decision has been made for me,” he said.


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. only slightly confused; I thought it was time to bring these people together.

      Delete
  2. I like it. I did not even notice more than one or two of the words. I always decide to look for them, then I begin reading, and you make me forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor; I often forget to look for the words in others' stories because they're so good.

      Delete
  3. I really, really hope music therapy does help to free Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I'm pretty sure it will help open the gates of her mind, she did love to dance.

      Delete
  4. Now all I can think about are times in my childhood...watching and listening to my mother play our piano...and of Saturday afternoon spent at the matinees enjoying re-runs of the musical films of that era and past eras!

    You've used the words well, River. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I remember hot summer nights when we couldn't sleep so were allowed to play in the backyard after dark while dad played his piano accordion, sometimes his harmonica.

      Delete
  5. Music can touch in ways many other things can't, so i can see how it might help.

    It's good to see you picking up the story, i want to know how it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; muasic is a great opener for all sorts of communications. I like to keep the story moving, but sometimes the ides just don't flow.

      Delete
  6. I hope the music therapy does the trick. There was a lady with Alzheimer's at my dad's nursing home who couldn't put a conversation together anymore but she could still sing all the words to the hymns during singsong. Rather amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; I've heard about people like that and I'm glad that at least the music has stayed with them when all else is lost.

      Delete
  7. From experience I can vouch for musical therapy 'working' it's magic.
    I'm enjoying this story River. Hoping you can put some more instalments together soon
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy; I've found in myself if I'm grumpy or jittery and don't know why, it's usually because I haven't listened to any music for a while, so I turn on my playlist of favourites and just calm down. I'd like to keep the installments coming, but there's a lot of bits to tie together and sometimes the mind just goes blank.

      Delete
  8. River - I forgot to mention earlier my WFW can be found on my blog -
    here





















    ReplyDelete
  9. Music is supposed to open closed doors of the mind. Sure hope it works for Stephanie and gets her toes tapping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the music will work, I am sure. I love how you handle the dialogue and I don't look for the words at all. Well done.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! More help for Stephanie. I wonder what the developed photos from the reef might show...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Music therapy soothes and heals. Like others, the story flowed in such a way that the words were well meshed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs