Sunday Selections

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mists of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by Elephant's Child, who gladly accepted my offer to keep this going, with a drastic relaxation of rules.

Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.

If you are participating, please leave a comment so we can buzz along and have a look.

We're looking at my garden again today, feel free to wander along with me:

this a long shot showing the garden from front path to mail boxes, the fuzzy white circles are sun reflections

same garden, (I only have the one), from the other end, near the mail boxes

these are our mail boxes, in sets of eight, they are scattered around in the grounds closest to whichever block of flats they belong to.

at the mail box end, behind the tap are the aeoniums I planted in the ground. You can see by the bare patch in the middle they aren't doing so well, being constantly trampled on by cats and by people taking short cuts while trying to catch their cats. I plan to get these dug up and placed in a large, tall pot next autumn.

here is a closer look at one that has been nibbled half to death by assorted garden pests, snails, earwigs, wooly bear caterpillars.

a slightly closer look at the length of the garden, if you enlarge the picture you'll see the black long leaf aeonium doing very well in its pot, just to the left of centre.

on my porch in this large pot is the "curly" leaf crassula, one of the jades which are all members of the Crassula family, this huge specimen began as a tiny piece brought from the nursery, about three inches in diameter, now the top of the plant is almost hip height on me. 

here is a close-up of the leaves so you can see the wave in them.

back down in the garden patch is my "Gollum", another type of Jade. I have three of these now, with this one and another one being cuttings taken from the original and doing very well.

in front of the gollum is my Echeveria, aka hen and chickens, this measures about a metre across, maybe a bit more and is knee height. I started this with one smallish branch given by a neighbour five or six years ago.

I have two new wind spinners here and behind them, two pots which will be hung as soon as I find branches strong enough to hold them, they contain cuttings of another small leaf succulent, Mesembryanthemum, also known as Livingstone Daisy (it has another name too, but I don't recall it just now) and it comes in a few colour variations. 

this is the parent plant (mesembryanthemum) given to me by my brother when he left Adelaide. It had lived on his balcony and never flowered after the original first blooming. I discovered it was afflicted with mealy bugs, which I picked off and squished, also it was pot bound in soil so dry and hard I feared it might not survive. I sat it in a bucket of water for a full day, trimmed off several dead branches and it began to flower. So I took the few cuttings you saw in the previous photo, then replanted it in this larger pot and it is recovering nicely. It should soon spread to fill the pot and have branches hanging over the sides too. Then I'll have to find something much taller for it to stand on.

sadly, a sight seen too often around here and that's enough of that. I don't know why they were here, but that is an evidence collection van. I erased the number plate.

I rescued my tiny Devil's Ivy, (philodendron) remember these from way back in the 70s when everyone had one growing all over their bathroom/kitchen/hallway? This was in a tiny pot on the ground, it vanished then popped up several metres away in this pot which I then picked up and hung in the tree. I think someone 'stole' it then changed his/her mind.

I also dug up my rhubarb, which has never done well, being trampled on and not getting enough water, it looks a bit miserable but should recover with plenty of water. 

I bought two of these small green pots and placed one in the centre of each birdbath, then planted dwarf French marigold seeds in them, we'll see soon enough if they grow. They'll be a lovely splash of colour.

I have a new tinkly fairy windchime,

and inside (blurry) two more, a rainbow flower and a blue owl, these will be hung outside as soon as I decide where.

also new is this delightful little wizard, found in a thrift shop and placed under this small dome that I bought at Ikea just to keep him safe.

another Ikea find, an old style lamp, turned on and off via the wheel on the right there, it can be dimmed or turned right up to blinding glare. The lamp and wizard are at opposite ends of my desk in the corner.

Finally, this cartoon which I loved, so cut it from the newspaper and blu-tacked it to my picture wall.





















Comments

  1. Thanks for the garden tour, a fascinating variety of plants and I love your personal interest in all of them.

    I am particularly enamoured with those daisies, they are beautiful, they should be amazing in full bloom.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; you're very welcome. I'm quite happy with it all myself, I spent a few years agonising over things that died, then just replanted with more of what survived. The daisies are new, rescued from my brother's balcony.

      Delete
  2. Good morning! I always like catching your posts, and seeing your lovely captures. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 21 Wits; welcome to drifting and thank you. I haven't been out with my camera so much lately as in the past.

      Delete
  3. Never seen mail boxes set up like that before.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady (Dora); it's a very common method here for blocks of public housing flats.

      Delete
  4. Iron man has just become my newest hero.
    Loving your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I knew someone would love Iron man. I happen to know a real live "Iron man", my son-in-law. He doesn't do it all the time, but has done his share when necessary.

      Delete
  5. A lovely garden, you work hard at it and it shows.

    That comic is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you, but I don't work at all hard in it. The trick is to grow what can survive without care and only needing summer watering. That comic is perfect :)

      Delete
  6. Oh I love the wizard and all your plants. My favorite pic is the first on even with the fuzzy white circles. They add character to the shot! I also love the super heroes. I think most women love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred Ratched; thank you, I love the wizard too. He is only 4 inches tall and I found him in a thrift shop for $5. I love the "Iron Man" in particular, and actually have a couple in my own family. Son, and son-in-law who shares the duty with my daughter. I quite like the first photo too, the fuzzy circles add a little extra 'something'.

      Delete
  7. Don't you love it when you can revive a plant that should be dead. Good job.
    You have quite a variety in your garden. Very nice.
    I would take any of those super heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I do love reviving a plant, but it doesn't always work.

      Delete
  8. Oh! It's good to have you back on a Sunday, River. On those hot days during the past week I bet you felt like sitting in that bucket of water!

    I hope the coming week treats you kindly...I noticed on the weather report last night your temps have dropped considerably. Take it easy. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola...I hope she, too, is doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I don't know that I'll make it here every Sunday, a lot of the time all I want to do is sleep. I don't know where my energy has gone. On really hot days I stay inside with the airconditioner running and all the curtains drawn, blinds and awning all the way down too.
      Lola is doing well, I hear her clicking around the floor and know I need to make a vet appointment to get her claws clipped. She sends a meow and a tail swish to Remy and Shama. Temps are rising again this coming week, 33 and 36, ugh!

      Delete
  9. Poor rhubarb! I have the Gollum type of jade plant. It's the only plant that has been able to survive my "care." Your Mesembryanthemum is quite striking. And I like the old style lamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; poor rhubarb indeed. 21 years ago when we all moved into the house where my daughter still lives, it was enormous, growing right beside the front fence and we enjoyed stewed apple and rhubarb every winter. When I moved here it was still going strong, so I dug up some of it to bring here and wouldn't you know it, the rest of the plants all up and died and mine piece never got any bigger than what you see here. So disappointing. I love the Gollums more than any other Jade, they're so unusual looking. Next year I may take a couple more pieces from them and pot them up too. I could have a Gollum hedge! I'm glad I found the old style lamp, it suits the old style me.

      Delete
  10. A blue wind chime owl! LOVE it! And your flowers are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor; he is a very pretty blue owl and I'm still looking for a place to put him, far enough back in the garden so people won't steal him, but still visible for the little boy who comes with his grandma to see my things.

      Delete
  11. I went through your garden twice, slowly. Of course I do not remember the names of anything, but it all looks so lush and green. How I love all the little trinkets, toys, whirlygigs set about. It's just pleasant, and I hope your spring is pleasant, too.
    Here we have rain, for the next two days. And cold rain, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; I put the little toys etc for the children who go walking with their grandmas, at the moment it's a small boy around two years old a few years ago a small girl with a different grandma. spring is usually delightful weatherwise, but headachy and hayfevery for me, but then so is most of the rest of the year as I am allergic to so many things.
      I'm happy that you like my garden.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful garden. The pictures gave be much joy and I know the real thing gives you 10 times at much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nothoughtsnoprayersnonothing; thank you, I like seeing it as I walk in from the street.

      Delete
  13. That was an interesting little tour. We have the cactus with the marigold seeds in a pot with others that was given to us but I think cockatoos snipped the tips of some of them. Not that you want bright light all the time, but it can be useful to have it at times when you are looking for something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; my plan is to be able to water the marigolds and have enough filter down to the succulents under them. I think they'll be a welcome splash of colour amid all the green, once they grow of course.

      Delete
  14. That was a great tour of your garden. Well done on rescuing your brother's plant. I've come to really like succulent plants (your Gollum is one, I think?); they have charm and are nice and hardy in dry spots, but not prickly dangerous like some cacti. I smiled at your description of the bare spot "due to cats and people chasing their cats" . . . I know it's not funny if you're the one trying to grow things but the way you put it was humourous :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs