Wednesday's Words on a Friday

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the prompts are supplied by Mark Koopmans and can be found here.

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. ghostlike 
2. holly 
3. incidents 
4. joking 
5. kilogram 
6. lactate 

and/or: 

1. magnanimous 
2. needles 
3. outboard 
4. particle. 
5. quiz 
6. rancor

after a full day spent waiting for inspiration to strike, I was about to give up altogether, then decided to just let the words run free and if they make sense, then it's all good. 

Here we go: 

After a long evening during which we inhaled about a kilogram of excellent chocolates, each! jokingly trying to answer quiz questions about particle physics and being magnanimous about accepting even the weirdest answers, we waved goodbye to our hosts and wandered homewards. 

Meandering along the eerily empty, ghostlike South Street around 2am, we were passing by the Hollinsons when Sean suddenly decided he simply must pinch some holly from the bush overhanging the fence. It would look great decorating the lintels in the living room, along with everything else vaguely Christmassy that we hadn't yet bothered to take down and since it was already June, why not just leave it all there ready for next December?

Whispering that I should keep a lookout, "don't want any more incidents with neighbours carrying golf clubs, do we darl?" he reached over and grabbed a thickish branch, intending to snap off just a few side branches a bit bigger than twigs. Imagine our surprise when the entire branch cracked off, causing Sean to fall backwards into me and both of us landing on the grassed verge.

We were both a bit to drunk to be cross about it, so without rancor we picked ourselves up, grabbed the holly branch and ran the next two blocks home. Leaving the holly branch in the lounge room to be dealt with later, we fell into bed and straight to sleep, until I woke a few hours later with Sean snoring like an outboard motor and red hot needles zipping about inside my head. I stumbled blearily to the kitchen to down a gallon of water and a few aspirin, before sitting out in the pre-dawn coolness of the back patio waiting for the aspirin to do its work so I could go back to sleep. 

I began thinking we were possibly a bit too old to be doing such crazy things as pinching holly branches from neighbours, or anyone else for that matter, and fell asleep right there in the deck chair, getting woken just after eight o'clock by Sean holding out a huge mug of steaming coffee. 



Comments

  1. Thank you. All those crazy word in one meandering, likeable tale. I hope they'll get no trouble with the holly-owning neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I think the holly owner won't mind so much, the bush is big enough to be needing trimming.

      Delete
  2. You did it and they not only got some decorations but worked in a bit of exercise with the run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; exercise is always good no matter how little.

      Delete
  3. When the words take over the result is always amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; sometimes the words know better than I do where they should go.

      Delete
  4. This is so much fun. I hope that coffee knocks that hangover on the head. Quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I hope the coffee works too, I don't know anything about hangovers.

      Delete
  5. Never had a hangover, and i don't want to try, thanks, but i understand the temptation to have a little too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I've never had one either, I imagine it might be similar to a migraine.

      Delete
  6. Never too old to do crazy! It helps one remain sane! :)

    You had no trouble making sense out of the words, River!

    Take care...cuddles to Lola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I agree, never too old to do something crazy. Lola will get her cuddles later, after she forgives me for shooing her off the bed so I could make it.

      Delete
  7. That turned out well. And I don't feel quite so guilty that my Christmas tree is still up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; thank you. My daughter used to leave hers up all year and just change the tree topper to reflect the season.

      Delete
  8. 1 kilogram of chocolate, huhhhh! :-)
    I have the Christmas stuff really all year round, but it´s just nic-nack here and there.
    Snoring like an outboard motor, you make me laugh here.
    I disagree. You are NEVER too old for fun like that. A sweet, funny story, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; 1 kilogram of chocolate is far to much for me all at once. I have a couple of small Christmas things still out.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful tale with chocolate, taking holly and getting tipsy with a hangover the next morning - I bet you had fun putting pen to paper for that tale.
    Keep well and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; this is one where I didn't know what to write so I let the words take over.

      Delete
  10. I can't believe this is a 'stream of consciousness' piece - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; I didn't know there was such a thing as a "stream of consciousness piece", thank you.

      Delete
  11. You did a super job with a list of challenging words. Well done! I don't think we're ever too old to do wild and crazy things, but it's much more fun to do them without the alcohol. I've seen enough other people suffering with hangovers to know I don't want one, thankyouverymuch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; I've lived my entire life without alcohol which may seem dull to some but at least I've never woken up in an unknown place with unknown people and wondered where the weekend went.

      Delete
  12. So you are not a prim and proper lady after all . but an old sozzle head. nice story E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest; ha aha. The story isn't about me, I really am a prim and proper lady.

      Delete
  13. As someone who has pulled on something only to have it give way and send me flying into the person behind me, this is hilarious. :) I don't know how you manage to fit all of the words into such interesting stories but you do and I enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magical Mystical Mimi; thank you. I enjoy the challenge of finding the story in the words.

      Delete
  14. E. So you are LXVIII. B in CXCL11.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs