Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Charlotte and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. humdrum 

2. hapless 

3. righteous 

4. puny 

5. troubled 

6. quirky 

and this image:



Here is my story: 

Jonah had been born late in life for Thomas and Sarah, they had given up all hopes of ever becoming parents, when at 41 Sarah found she was pregnant. He was a small baby and grew into a puny child, troubled by everything that could possibly be caught, measles, mumps, chicken pox, even scarlet fever one year and surprised everyone by surviving them all. Impetigo, ringworm, headlice, Jonah caught them all.

Never being strong enough for any type of physical labour, Jonah lived a humdrum, hapless life until one day, aged thirty,  gazing up at the storm clouds building beyond the wintry trees, Jonah imagined he saw the face of their recently departed Pastor Andrews. Not being able to become a Pastor himself, Jonah decided to join the monastery, to ease the burden on his aging parents.

In the monastery, it was discovered that Jonah had developed quite a quirky sense of humor and brightened the lives of the monks as they went about their daily chores. When asked the source of all this humour, Jonah said, "when you get sick as often as I did, you need to find some way of coping."

He lived a righteous life in that monastery for many years, leaving only twice to attend the funerals of his parents.  On his deathbed fifty years later, Jonah saw Pastor Andrews again and knew that he was being welcomed to his final destination.

Comments

  1. A very different take on the prompts. I love that he found both his physical and spiritual home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you. I really had no idea what to write and I'm not entirely happy with it.

      Delete
  2. Love this story. So heartwarming when someone, seemingly plagued, does not become bitter but finds a place and a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; thank you, this was a hard challenge for me, I just couldn't bring the words together.

      Delete
  3. Here is my take, River. I loved yours.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gillian spent a few days, as always, looking at the photo Mr. Jennings had sent. He’d called himself that on his email contact. No first name. Quirky indeed.
    But he dropped the far from puny fee into her credit card arrangement. It would pay her rent for three months.
    In his note he said he’d had trouble with finding an artist who could convert this righteous photo
    (quirky again) into a work of art. He had viewed her website and was impressed with her. interpretations of the far from humdrum challenges she had been presented with in the past.
    She began to gather her materials. There was this hapless piece of grey silk for background, finally it would find a home. Oh, and that gorgeous satiny black cord. This heritage piece would be no trouble at all, Mr. Jennings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisewebwoman: I love this - and hope you will also put it up on Charlotte (MotherOwls) site

      Delete
    2. WWW; I like this a lot, far better than my own piece. Thank you for joining us this week.

      Delete
    3. Well done! My hope is he'll like her work enough to hire her again, maybe she'll make a good name for herself in the business.

      Delete
  4. The puny guy thought he was righteous but was actually a humdrum, hapless, troubled, quirky goof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike; he was all that but his soul was righteous.

      Delete
  5. Headlice. Since ex-chancellor Merkel said "all refugees welcome" this really is a subject here, you find meds in the stores since.

    Quite a bitter-sweet story you wrote, suiting the picture very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris Flavia; head lice are a problem here mostly in early autumn in the hills areas, when my oldest grandchildren were young they got headlice a couple of years, then my daughter found a way to stop them. She put a small bottle of tea tree oil in a spray bottle and mixed in some water, then every morning she would shake the mixture and comb it through their hair. No more head lice.

      Delete
    2. Guess what´s on my table?
      I got some stings from mossies and it all smells sooo good of tea tree oil :-)

      Delete
  6. I like your story, and am happy that Johna found his peace of mind. I also found my words hard to use, and I think you did a fine job of it ... better than mine actually. I pre-posted the words back in January, so they were new to me as well, and I found them tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I had a hard time deciding what to write this time, the problem wasn't the words, just my mind not being able to fit them together, but I'm pleased that so many people like it.

      Delete
  7. River woke in her luxury penthouse apartment and had the strange feeling that her life had become rather humdrum. All that day she felt quite hapless, even when listening to The Righteous Brothers on her new sound system. It is easy to feel puny and insignificant in a world filled with people and this thought troubled River. She put on her quirky Mexican poncho and ventured to the local park where she laid on her back looking up at the trees and the slightly threatening grey sky above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding; I found you in spam again. I imagine River felt much better after looking at trees and sky.

      Delete
    2. Yes she did. But she had trouble getting up again and had to ask a passing park gardener for assistance.

      Delete
  8. My offering was there but now it's gone. I have been spammed again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a use of the prompts. Excellent, River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean Jeating; thank you. I had a little trouble getting the words to fit this week, my mind was elsewhere I guess.

      Delete
  10. As I age physical work I sure don't have the stema as I did when I was younger.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; it's normal, I don't have the stamina I used to either.

      Delete
  11. The service of a quiet, simple life is service still. That was a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you, I agree, it is still service.

      Delete
  12. It seems like Jonah was made for the monastery, and the monastery was made for Jonah. He found the path that was meant for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; it does seem like that's the way fate planned it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs