Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Hilary Melton-Butcher and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are: 

1. eyebrow 2. roiling 3. refuse 4. gratifying 5. newsreel 

and/or: 

1. knead 2. air 3. journey 4. port 5. crime

I have included words I didn't use last week.

Also including Charlotte's colour of the month which is Turquoise Blue (my favourite) for June.

Here is my story: 

The television newsreel showed thick black clouds of smoke roiling upward and outward from the firestorm devouring the tons of refuse that had been illegally dumped into the gully and deliberately set alight. While it was gratifying to know we were far enough away from this crime to not be in any danger, we were still close enough to sight the flames racing across the land and feel the heaviness of smoke in the air

I had learned in school that humans had been reproducing at an alarming rate and finding places for them all to live was hard, ‘any port in a storm’ was something my grandmother had frequently said when the tightly packed highrise buildings held more and more families on each floor, with the original decently sized apartments being subdivided. 

Mum went around making sure all the windows were shut tight before putting on her new turquoise blue apron (it matched her eyes) and preparing to knead the day’s bread. The journey from a bowl of flour and yeast to a delicious loaf of fresh bread always amazed me. 

I asked for a piece of dough to knead and make my own tiny loaf and Mum raised an eyebrow, reminding me of the last time I had tried this. In turn I reminded her that I was now older and more responsible. She sliced a section off the ball of dough and handed it to me, I diligently followed her every move this time.


Comments

  1. What could you have done to a tiny piece of dough that was so bad? Intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; played with it until the yeast was dead and then burned it after forgetting it was in the oven?

      Delete
  2. Like Jabblog I wonder what happened last time. I like this story, as always a window into an intriguing universe and story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; children do weird things when they are too young to follow instructions properly.

      Delete
  3. I do love your 'snippets of life' stories. Add me to those who are curious about what went wrong last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, I'm only guessing at what happened when I replied to jabblog and Charlotte.

      Delete
  4. You have done an excellent job with your Wednesday words. I got a little tripped up when I read your blog post title "Wednesday Words on a Friday" and then I remembered you are not in the US. It's already Friday in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Shife; thank you, I kind of like being a day ahead.

      Delete
  5. A lovely story. Children learn by doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another thoughtful story! I saw a docu that our recycled "goods" went to China and got burnt there.
    At times it´s a sad world and with all the refugees coming... yes, so true, too many people on too little land.
    That Mum sure did well giving her girl another chance :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; children should always get another chance if they want one, cooking is an important skill. I saw about the recycled goods being burned too.

      Delete
  7. There seem to be a lot of smoke.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; a lot of smoke from a huge fire with burning rubbish and old car tyres and whatever else got thrown out in the gully.

      Delete
  8. You've made me smell the acrid smoke, AND the baking bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; your hazy skies and the flames I saw on the news helped with this one. I LOVE the smell of baking bread.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs