Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by messymimi and can be found here.

This week's words are:

1. sustenance
2. booth
3. street
4. hint
5. syrup
6. drab

and/or:

1. older
2. cardboard
3. wounded
4. front
5. empty
6. astonished

Here is my short story:

"Peter! Peter! Bring Mary, you two should see this," said God looking down from his observation deck.

Down below:


Staggering along the street, clutching her stomach, Caroline groaned theatrically. “Sustenance, I need sustenance. I’m staaarving!”

“Caro, you can’t be starving, we ate an hour ago,” said Jesse. “Yes,” said Caro, “but you rushed us out of the café without even a hint of dessert. Let alone something gooey and syrupy. We could have got something to go in a takeaway container.”

Jesse stood still and gave her one of “those” looks. “Dessert? After the amount of food you put away?”

Caroline gasped dramatically, “Jesse! I am deeply, deeply wounded by your words. I barely ate a thing at lunch, you must have me mixed up with someone else. And you know how empty a stomach can feel when it has been expecting something sweet and doesn’t get it.”

Brenda burst out laughing at the pair of them. “You can’t possibly feel empty after three ham and cheese toasties Caro, but if you really must stuff yourself like a strassburg goose, there’s a new little pop-up booth just around the corner that sells hot churros with chocolate sauce and even whipped cream if you want that too.”

“Lead the way,” said Caroline and headed towards the corner with Brenda and Jesse close behind. They spied the new booth, brightly lit amongst the drab store fronts in an older section of town and soon each of them held a white cardboard container of delicious hot churros drizzled with chocolate sauce, although only Caroline had the whipped cream as well.

“Now that I have this, I’m astonished at how hungry I seem to be as well,” said Brenda. “Me too,” said Jesse, licking chocolate off his fingers. 

Up on God's Observation Deck, Mary said to God, "we need to make sure she gets that part in the school show, she's quite funny as well as having a good dramatic voice."

Comments

  1. You've made me very hungry, hope she gets the part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine; I wouldn't mind a serve of Churros myself. She gets the part.

      Delete
  2. Huge smiles.
    I see a showbiz future for that drama queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; thank you, she does quite well in theatre after she leaves school.

      Delete
  3. Don't tell Caroline, but I've rich chocolate cake cooking in my oven at this very moment!!!

    Fun use of the words, River....well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; she may have already read this and be on her way...

      Delete
  4. Loved this one River.
    Same as I just love churros!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy; I'm glad you liked it. I love Churros a little too much, that's why I don't have them more than once a year.

      Delete
  5. Churros sound so good right now. Fun story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you. I'm glad there isn't a Churros place near my home, I would eat far too many.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet story you've concocted! I'm ready for churros and a show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; great idea, a show and Churros after :)

      Delete
  7. Hehe. This was one funny story. Now you have me hungering for churros, which can only be had at aweekend fair in the middle of June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor; we have a cafe right here in the city where we can get them anytime.

      Delete
  8. This as fun. Good to see we still manage to entertain God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I like to imagine him pacing along his observation deck, keeping an eye on things and maybe helping out.

      Delete
  9. I've never had churros but they do sound tasty. I think caroline just needed something sweet so the churros does the trick.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lissa; churros are tasty and very sweet, Caroline always likes something sweet.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely take on the words! H'mmm hungry for churros now :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisewebwoman; thank you, I wouldn't mind some myself.

      Delete
  11. And where exactly might I get my Canadian hands on one of those chocolaty delights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; right here in Adelaide! On the corner of Rundle Street and East Terrace, I think. Or possibly some place closer to home...

      Delete
  12. Hah! I always have room for dessert, too - it goes in a different part of the stomach than a main course does :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; I like a quote I read somewhere but can't remember who wrote it: "Life is short, eat dessert first"

      Delete
  13. Churros, chocolate, and syrup are great combinations.

    Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I've had Churros with chocolate syrup, utterly delicious, best not eaten too often though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs