Wednesday's Words on a Friday





The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.
If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.


This month the words are supplied by Margaret Adamson and friend Sue, and can be found here


This week's words are:


1. baptism
2. dregs
3. pinafore
4. exploring
5. sugar
6. beehive

and/or:

1. heart
2. meddling
3. primary
4. contrary
5. mug
6. kitchen

Here is my story:

Wandering sleepily into the kitchen, I emptied out last night’s dregs and started a new pot of coffee brewing. I reached for my favourite mug, then set about exploring the kitchen cabinets for breakfast items. The sugar was easy to find, next to the coffee beans, right where it should be, but the rest of the cabinet contents were jammed in all higgledy-piggledy, put away in a hurry by Gavin when we moved in two days ago.
I’d been thrust unceremoniously into a new position in a new town, when a branch manager died suddenly. I’d applied for the job, but expected a more leisurely induction period, not this baptism style that resembled being thrown in at the deep end of the pool. My predecessor, Natalie Conroy, had simply dropped to the floor one morning while arranging her hair in its customary beehive style. An autopsy had revealed a badly damaged heart, yet her husband Eugene declared she had never had a sick moment for the entire forty years of their marriage.
Being the primary candidate for the job, the “big boss” had phoned me even before the funeral, stating a house had been made available and I should move asap. Gavin sprang into action finding cartons to pack stuff in, hiring a moving truck for the furniture, arranging to have our mail forwarded. He was hopeful that he could also find a new job in a new town, having been ‘let go’ six months before when his company downsized, which is really a fancy word for “we’re going to make our stuff in a cheaper country so we don’t need you anymore’.
As I searched the cabinets, Gavin walked in wearing one of my frilly pinafores and steered me towards the table. “Stop meddling about in my cabinets and sit down,” he said. “I’ve got breakfast all sorted. Contrary to all previously held beliefs, I am not incapable in a kitchen. You just never gave me a chance.”

Comments

  1. Yay Gavin. That is telling her.
    Love your truthful description about the real meaning of being let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I've been a victim of downsizing a couple of times, I know exactly what it means.

      Delete
  2. Words used well, River.

    I wish Remy or Shama would spring into action today and prepare some lunch for me...I've been out all morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; let me whisper in their ears....how do you feel about fish?

      Delete
  3. Such real-life details. You make this look easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I like real life details and most of the time these stories do come to me easily.

      Delete
  4. Oh River - the name Gavin and pinafore just go together:)
    Enjoyed reading about could definitely be a real life situation. Here's hoping Gavin does find a new job in a new town

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cathy; I suspect Gavin might find a job in a restaurant of some sort, where the waiters wear weird uniforms.

      Delete
    2. I'd love to see Gavin in your pinafore!!

      Delete
  5. You did an excellent job with your words..

    Was in the KITCHEN with a MUG full of tea when my HEART skipped a beat as I heard of the MEDDLING of that woman who is a CONTRARY person, and is the PRIMARY carer for a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; thank you, I like your little story too.

      Delete
  6. A man that can cook and take over a kitchen makes me smile and kind of want to know if he has a brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gavin is a take charge kind of a guy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like he's going to make sure they thrive in their new place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs