Adelaide Zoo

Many years ago, too many years, in the days before I had a digital camera, I went to the zoo.


I had my grandchildren with me and we wandered around for a couple of hours taking photos.
They really enjoyed the children's zoo section, where they were able to hold baby chickens and pat the baby deer. They loved the monkeys and the seals the most I think. Well, it was 12 years ago, so my memory isn't that sharp. I do remember the baboons. Every time I aimed the camera, the big one would turn and show us his bum instead of his face. So, no photo.


We watched the polar bears for a while, but they were sleepy and not moving at all. I was surprised to see they aren't as snowy white as I thought they'd be. I'd only ever seen them on TV and in magazines.

I'm totally in love with this Dragon Tree. Draecena something-or-other. It's huge, the canopy is dense and shady and if I had enough space and time I would grow one in my yard. They're very slow growing so I'd need years and years. I think this one was spread across 20 metres or so. It's in the flamingo enclosure, you can just see one slightly right of centre, that pale pink blob. That's a flamingo.

This baby giraffe was just about 3 weeks old when I took this photo. I'm not even sure if he's still with us or gone to another zoo. I like watching these animals, but the smell from the giraffe enclosure is a bit strong, so we moved on fairly quickly.

These bison were having themselves a lovely lazy afternoon when I spotted them way off across their field. I took several photos with the zoom lens on my old camera until the bigger one looked right at me and started making snorting noises. It was like he was saying leave us in peace, so we did.

This is my preferred method of transport when getting around my city, no parking worries, no suddenly realising I'm out of petrol, no worry that someone will vandalise or steal my car while I'm shopping, sightseeing etc. This is one of our newer buses, when we went to the zoo, we travelled on one of the older silver jobbies.

Now that the weather is warming up and I have plenty of time on my hands, I think it's time I made another trip to our zoo. I'm told there's new stuff to see, pandas for instance, so I'll be taking the camera again.




Comments

  1. I'll be looking forward to your new photos of the zoo, River. We were members for a few years (until Sapphire was ten, I think) and used to go all the time.

    I loved the meerkats and the otters and we were always a bit sad to see the big cats pacing aimlessly and the gorillas sometimes trying to hide their faces from our stares.

    However it was the bloody zebras I'd have to brace myself for. I swear that every single time we went over to them, one would get his pink donger out and it'd swing there like a hot pink fifth leg.... very embarassing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the zoo but haven't been for ages, you'll have to show us yours :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kath; I don't recall any zebras, must have missed them on our way around. I remember being right next to one of the lions when he roared.

    Jayne; As soon as my shoulder is okay, me and the zoo have a date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's always safest to go to the zoo without the digital camera. We recently returned from a trip to a small zoo near us, with about 24 photos of a red panda. And 34 of a rosella. My hubby was determined to capture the perfect shot, and now we have SO many. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to a zoo in ages but then proper zoos are become few & far between.

    I'm going to visit Adelaide as not only do I like that it's the City of Churches but that it's also the city with the most murders & I love true crime stuff.

    Can't wait for you to share more of Adelaide with us on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. lifeinapinkfibro; but that's the beauty of digital. All the duds can be deleted. No more picking up a packet of developed photos only to find eveyone is without a head or has only half a head. Plus I have 2x1GB SD cards each holds easily 200 photos.

    Motorbikes_Lady; Adelaide has the most murders? Wow. I prefer TV crime over true, it's always solved in 45 minutes with the perpetrator safely locked away or dead by the end. Books are even better, because you can imagine settings and how people look for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photos. This is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. woman; welcome, I'll check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs