I thought this was worth sharing...

 

In the Sunday Mail (Adelaide’s Sunday newspaper)

By Melissa Leong

“I wonder if we’re losing our capability for rational discussion”

There’s no question that the world is in the toilet right now. And I mean right at the bottom of the bowl, you know? Sure, as long as there have been people on the planet, we’ve had or issues. But at present it certainly feels as though things have hit a fever pitch that only dogs and bats should be able to hear.

As such, I don’t think anyone can be blamed for being a little (or a lot) up in arms, From the atrocities of war and political injustice to social inequality; tragedy and environmental disaster, there’s a lot to be angry, sad and confused about, that’s for sure.

I don’t know about you, but every day feels a bit like a powder keg waiting to blow at any given moment. As our patience wears thin on the issues we care about, I’m noticing that a new kind of worrying trend is rising in tandem. For the sake of our conversation, I’m going to call it “comparative injustice hostility”.

It’s where, when there’s a new article or social media post, people feel the need to pile on with “Yes, but why aren’t you talking about this other issue?”- as if the one problem wasn’t bad enough.

The subtext certainly seems to feel like there’s a (heavily subjective) sliding scale of issues, and when your concerns don’t align with someone else’s, there’s a very vocal group of someone elses who are quick to tell you just how wrong you are. And their “feedback” isn’t gentle. In fact it’s often downright vitriolic.

If you think about it, that’s a bit silly isn’t it? In this crazy world we live in, there’s always more than one relevant issue going on at any given time, and talking about any one of them doesn’t in any way negate the relevance of the others.

The way I see it, in an increasingly darkening world, further division between us doesn’t help anyone. So why are we fighting over which issue is more urgent or more deserving of our attention? It stands to reason that if there are many issues that need support, then shouldn’t we want to support the people who are supporting the issues that we aren’t or can’t?

I’m not sure if clickbait headlines that speak in absolute terms help matters much, but I wonder if we’re losing our capacity for balanced, rational and nuanced discussions.

As a result, I think we’re all poorer for it. We have to remember, however, that an effective discussion, news article, idea or concern is most easily understood when it is succinct. It can’t possibly satisfy every perspective or acknowledge every other concern that ever existed.

Maybe, right now, when tolerance is at an all-time low, we need to dig a little deeper and find a way to respect that diversity occurs in all things, including the very worthy issues we should be concerned about.  Perhaps in respecting that what matters to each of us is a different mixed bag of chaos, we might find a way to realise that we all want the same thing: for the world to be a better place.

Maybe that stars with us all being a little kinder, no matter what we care about.

Comments

  1. Interesting. I must say, no one has accused me of not blogging about important issues (even though I usually don't!) but maybe Leong got criticized for writing about one thing and not another. I do think that overall, our capacity for rational discussion and disagreement is at an all-time low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Reed; I think the same, people are too quick to say "but what about...?"

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; so true and don't we feel better inside ourselves after a kindness?

      Delete
  3. I try to be civil. Usually I stay away from politics and religious talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora; I try to stay away from those subjects too.

      Delete
  4. A thought provoking piece and some wise sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; I hope people will think about it and maybe some will be kinder.

      Delete
  5. Great thoughts. I try to stay away from divisive topics on my blog, because I think often people misjudge written comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said R. I totally agree with you.
    No respect from some people, they want their opinion on another matter said which is related to what is written and they won't listen or budge, they just can't see the opinion that the person who wrote the article can see. Some replies are disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; some people get a thought in their heads and just can't see past it.

      Delete
  7. Agreed. Just because I cannot be involved in every cause doesn't mean I do not care. It means my time and energy are limited and I've chosen to work on causes near me where I can make an impact. You do the same, and together we'll all work for a better world, in all the differing areas which need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; this is exactly what people need to do, focus on the issues that mean a lot to them, but don't try forcing everyone to support them, as they will have their own issues.

      Delete
  8. Rational is difficult. A few weeks ago I got into a heated discussion with my Brother so much so that I started to cry and that near to never happens. And I will avoid certain subjects with him now.
    Yet I think most people work together for a good cause, and that includes my Brother and me, it´s just not easy sometimes.
    Then I see my neighbor A. He is nearly 60, has a had a girlfriend but once and only for a few weeks (he presented her in the garden and on FB all the time) - no tolerance towards others whatsoever, no rational thinking at all. He is always right. (A woman must be intelligent (OK), have ... short hair and... small breasts, but they are ALL lesbians. No wonder he is single).
    The majority of people is still sane, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; that neighbour sounds terrible. If that's how he thinks he will never have a girlfriend and women are better off avoiding him. I try to be tolerant of everybody, since I don't know what goes on in their heads or in their lives, it's better to be nice. And if they are not nice then I try to avoid them.

      Delete
  9. Oh, happy days. Blogger ate my comment.... or, did it? I´ll check later cause at Tom´s it´s a come and go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; blogger likes to play games with comments, mine at your blog mostly disappear the same day or a day after.

      Delete
    2. Blogger... I have no words. That neighbour I avoid. When we came back from Perth his car was parked 2 lots in front of Ingo´s that´d "died". He could´ve set his car backwards and "revive" Ingo´s. Could. Ingo had to call the garage cause he wasn´t willing to help, that "neighbour".... Let´s see if blogger let´s me share this with you.... it´s a free tool, I always have to remind myself...

      Delete
  10. You are 1000% right! Division only serves dark forces. Listening to each other and compromising to find solutions takes us all to a better place! We are feeling some hope here in the states. In 100 days we will be rescued or go deeper into this hellish situation. Even if light forces win, I fear our former president will make as much trouble for the country as possible as he awaits sentencing one yet more of his many illegal Misdeeds. Hard to believe that one person can do so much damage and unleash so many dark forces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudia; thank you. and welcome to drifting. Compromising is good although I know a few who simply will not even agree to disagree. I am also feeling some hope for your election and will wear blue on the day for good luck. I continue to be astonished that a convicted felon is even allowed to run. I also wish that old-fashioned-no-longer-needed Electoral College would be disbanded.

      Delete
  11. Great post! It’s true that in a world full of pressing issues, we often fall into the trap of comparative injustice instead of supporting each other’s causes. Balancing diverse concerns while fostering understanding is essential.

    I just posted a new blog post at www.melodyjacob.com. I invite you to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody Jacob; thank you. I try to listen to others point of view, but if they are talking politics I get lost, I simply do not understand how politicians think and work.

      Delete
  12. I always reminded my students that they would always regret being mean, but they would never regret being kind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs