the hunger games

I picked this up from the library this morning and have been reading it all day.

The Hunger Games-Catching Fire is the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy, set in post-apocalyptic America.

Book one is titled simply The Hunger Games, book three is titled Mockingjay.

I'm not sure what age group this is aimed at, there are readers younger than me reading it, my daughter is reading the trilogy, I'm 58 and enjoying it too.

The books centre on a handful of characters, most of whom are from "District 12".

In this series, America appears to be run by "The Capitol", a futuristic city where the inhabitants have as much of anything that they could possibly want and more, while outlying "districts" numbered 1 to 13 are kept in near starvation with little or no utilities or other facilities according to the whims of The Capitol.
Each district is responsible for their particular specialty, for instance mining or grain crops and so on.

Each year 2 young "tributes" from each district, are selected by The Capitol, these children are brought to the Capitol, then let loose in "The Arena", a vast wilderness, where they are given scant supplies and pretty much told there can be only one survivor. They must fight to the death until only one victor is left.

I'm finding this very un-put-downable and can't wait to get the third book from the library.
There's a waiting list with several people ahead of me....*sigh*

I'll eventually buy the trilogy, written by Suzanne Collins, because I know this is something I'll read over and over.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the review, I'll keep an eye out for it at my local library ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great.

    And about the ages reading it.... a good story is a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ro; try to get all three books at once so you can just keep the story going, if you're anything like me, you don't like reading part one, then having to wait for parts two and three.

    Frogdancer; anything that gets people reading even or especially across generations is a good story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs