Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here.

This week's words are:


1. sleeping
2. burnt
3. broken
4. undercover
5. swallows
6. universe

and/or:

1. voyage
2. heart
3. diary
4. falling
5. star
6. Samurai

Here is my story:


While sleeping, my broken heart took an undercover voyage back to the land of the Samurai, where I had last seen the star of my universe, Mariko. Her image will forever remain burnt into my memory and upon waking, I write this latest dream into my diary...


Late evening, I sit by the fire, raise my glass and stare at the milky contents swirling with an opalescence that catches the candlelight. I do not remember its name, the word was long and complicated, but its promise is true. Just two swallows and I would be falling, falling, falling into oblivion, to meet once again my lovely Mariko.

Comments

  1. Very imaginative, River. Great use of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. A heart aching little snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I thought it suited the words.

      Delete
  3. Oh how lovely - whilst you dream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; it's surprising where dreams can take us.

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is terrific. It's both romantic and tragic, and your use of the words is almost poetic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; thank you, I was hoping for romance and tragedy. Glad it came through.

      Delete
  5. Aww, how sad and you captured the pain well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; loss is sad and sometimes painful.

      Delete
  6. This needs to be read more than once to understand the layers of meaning. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's full of images for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how much fun. Very nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet and sad and deep, an excellent story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done - succinct but natural. Your writing never sounds contrived or made to fit the list of words, River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jenny_o; thank you, I'm happy that it comes across as natural.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. The Liberty Belle; welcome to drifting and thank you.

      Delete
  12. Oh how lovely River so heartfelt. I am having a dry spell and could do nothing with those words. Sometimes I work on something else which I am doing and it uses all my juice.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisewebwoman; sometimes it takes me a while to write something and other times I look at the words and a piece will write itself, like this one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs