Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by River and can be found here

Charlotte's colour of the month is Vivid Tangerine

This week's words/prompts is a shorter list than usual:

1. extravagant  2. koala  3. plane  4. charged   5. potatoes  

6. alone

Here is my story:

Once we were all safely on the bus, our Activity Director, Sally Walton, introduced her new assistant, Doug Smith. Alan Miller, who always thinks he is funny, but often isn't, asked why we needed two activity people since there were only eight of us going to the beach. Sally replied, "because some of you are men and some are women, at a rest stop I can take the ladies to the toilets, but can't take you men, that's what Doug is for."

"Fair enough," said Alan, "and he can also rescue any of us from drowning too," said with a smirk. "I hardly think that will be necessary," said Sally, "but that's a good point." Several of the others were heard to whisper, "better make sure he doesn't wander along the jetty then." Sally and Doug both heard and  nodded to each other. Alan would be watched. 

Denise was beside herself with joy, "I just love sitting on the sand with my feet in the water, while eating an ice cream cone. When we get there I will buy ice creams for everyone!" "That's quite extravagant of you," said Lucy, "did you remember to bring your money?" "Of course I did!" said Denise, "and a bit extra in case they cost more now."

"The last time I bought an ice cream cone, they charged me seven whole dollars," said Marjorie. "Goodness," said Denise, and began counting her money. "How long ago was that?" she asked Marjorie, who replied "how long ago was what?" Denise heaved a sigh, tucked away her money and decided to just hope for the best.

After 40 minutes a rest stop loomed ahead and the first to spot it gave sighs of relief, aged bladders do not hold as well as youngsters and when the bus stopped there was a surge of bodies aimed at the doors. Doug stepped down first and stood ready to help each one down and point them in the right direction, "Ladies to the left there, men to the right."

They all ambled around a little to stretch their legs before climbing back into the bus and Denise was happy to have spotted a Koala up in the big gum tree by the picnic tables, while Lucy followed the path of a plane so high most couldn't even see it. "I'd love to know where they are going," she said and are they going to visit somewhere or are they going home?"

"I always loved coming home," said Gordon, who rarely spoke at all, "even if I was coming home alone, it was good to see the huge red interior from the plane windows and see the kangaroos hopping along." "Goodness," said Lucy, "I think this is the first time I have ever heard your voice." "You could be right," said Sally. "I don't think he has said anything since last month when he was happy to see mashed potatoes on his plate in stead of plain steamed ones." 

Gordon just smiled his enigmatic little smile and climbed back into the bus.

Comments

  1. Ohh, I like this, but your ice cream cones sure are expnsive! if she's right that is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viagem bem interessante essa e também gostaria de estar com pés no mar e ainda com um bom sorvete,rs.. Muito boa! beijos, tudo de bom,chica

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

dented or otherwise damaged cans, what do you do?

Sunday Selections # 790

Welcome to 2026