here's a few sentences .....

.....from a few of the books I've been reading lately.

  • Shields shook his head as if testing its connection to the rest of his body.
  • It was the kind of neighbourhood where middle class meant floorboards in the houses.
  • The puny plastic box crackled with static.
  • He looked crooked, like a piece of fruit that had been sliced and then put back together with less than full precision.
  • The sky was as cold and hard as a gun. Minutes after I hit the blacktop the gun proved to be loaded; it fired a blast of thunder and the water started coming down.
  • Grandma was waiting for me as I stepped into the waiting room, with a sheaf of stapled booklets and two sharpened number two pencils.
  • He shook his head and buried his face in a plate of steamed mussels.
  • The green apple pie came. I noticed that the filling was indeed green, a bright, almost luminescent green. Someone in the kitchen was fooling around with food dyes.
  • She faced me, nostrils flaring, eyes floating like black lilies in a salty pond, lips quivering like harp-strings.
  • For answer, he turned tail and bolted.
  • Except now her cottage had decided to interfere.
  • He had a capacity to withdraw behind his face as if he pulled down an inner shutter of skin from forehead to chin.
  • The door had been superbly sealed
  • Her story was as well rehearsed as a ballet.
  • I really do look for that special spot, the place of power, before I sit down to eat my sandwiches.
  • They never thought about why they were here, they had no appreciation of the finer things the human mind was capable of.       
Read any interesting things lately?

Comments

  1. All good ones...now we need the titles please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm books! Reading is seriously one of mankinds' better ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be lost without books. Real books. As much as I love how much the Kindle app on my phone can hold, there's just something about an actual book, made of real paper. Plus I can't use my awesome bookmarks in a Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of them are great, all of them are good. I'm with mybabyjohn/Delores, titles and authors please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved that first one -- and I can't decide if I want to know the title or not as I'm already about 40 books behind the growing mountain of "read-nexts" in my living room!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL
    I like those, yes, you'll have to supply the titles now!

    I came across a couple of lines in a razor-trimmer advert (for men's nether regions) that left me shaking my head "If your tiger is lost in the jungle, trim a little here, trim a lot there and soon your tiger will stand proud on the planes".

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite one is the first one and just like Pearl i've got a mountain of books to get through too :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehee.... like Douglas Adams, "It flies like a brick doesn't"

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interfering cottage - maybe it had special powers to force the bloke to bury his entire face in a plate full of mussels?

    I've recently given up on Hilary Mantel's 'Wolf Hall' admittedly only buying it because it was two francs and a 2009 Man Booker winner. Too detailed, too confusing, too easy to set aside and do other things instead of read and when I avoid reading, it's time to change the book. Am now about to start on 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delores; titles? oh heck... Several of those are from one book and the others? I just flipped to random pages from the "finished reading" stack, then shelved the lot. So now I don't remember which quote is from which book....
    Three of them are:-
    Perfectly Dead by Iain McDowell
    When The Bough Breaks by Jonathan Kellerman
    One Big Damn Puzzler by John Harding

    Toni; Reading is definitely one of the best pleasures. And you can do it anywhere!

    No-one; I know I keep saying I want a kindle, but you'll notice I don't actually have one yet...books, paper.....they're better.

    Jayne; I don't remember all the titles, it was a big stack of books and I chose at random. I listed some in my comment to Delores....

    Windsmoke; I don't know anyone who doesn't have a stack to get through.

    Baino; flies like a brick? Now I have to search for Douglas Adams; he's an author?

    Kath Lockett; The Elegance of the Hedgehog?? Tell me more....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved The Elegance of the Hedgehog, but it seems to be one of the love/hate books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG -- River -- yes, Douglas Adams is (was) an author. He wrote Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, amongst other things. Quirky and hilarious, but not everyone's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. EC; I'll put that one on my maybe list then.

    Toni; aha! The hitchhikers guide...I couldn't remember who wrote that and now I know why Douglas Adams sounded familiar. I haven't read it, but my daughter has a copy and I've seen it often. I should read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs