Sometimes on the way to your dream,

you get lost and find a better one.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

here's a few sentences .....

.....from a few of the books I've been reading lately.

  • Shields shook his head as if testing its connection to the rest of his body.
  • It was the kind of neighbourhood where middle class meant floorboards in the houses.
  • The puny plastic box crackled with static.
  • He looked crooked, like a piece of fruit that had been sliced and then put back together with less than full precision.
  • The sky was as cold and hard as a gun. Minutes after I hit the blacktop the gun proved to be loaded; it fired a blast of thunder and the water started coming down.
  • Grandma was waiting for me as I stepped into the waiting room, with a sheaf of stapled booklets and two sharpened number two pencils.
  • He shook his head and buried his face in a plate of steamed mussels.
  • The green apple pie came. I noticed that the filling was indeed green, a bright, almost luminescent green. Someone in the kitchen was fooling around with food dyes.
  • She faced me, nostrils flaring, eyes floating like black lilies in a salty pond, lips quivering like harp-strings.
  • For answer, he turned tail and bolted.
  • Except now her cottage had decided to interfere.
  • He had a capacity to withdraw behind his face as if he pulled down an inner shutter of skin from forehead to chin.
  • The door had been superbly sealed
  • Her story was as well rehearsed as a ballet.
  • I really do look for that special spot, the place of power, before I sit down to eat my sandwiches.
  • They never thought about why they were here, they had no appreciation of the finer things the human mind was capable of.       
Read any interesting things lately?

13 comments:

  1. All good ones...now we need the titles please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm books! Reading is seriously one of mankinds' better ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be lost without books. Real books. As much as I love how much the Kindle app on my phone can hold, there's just something about an actual book, made of real paper. Plus I can't use my awesome bookmarks in a Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of them are great, all of them are good. I'm with mybabyjohn/Delores, titles and authors please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved that first one -- and I can't decide if I want to know the title or not as I'm already about 40 books behind the growing mountain of "read-nexts" in my living room!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL
    I like those, yes, you'll have to supply the titles now!

    I came across a couple of lines in a razor-trimmer advert (for men's nether regions) that left me shaking my head "If your tiger is lost in the jungle, trim a little here, trim a lot there and soon your tiger will stand proud on the planes".

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite one is the first one and just like Pearl i've got a mountain of books to get through too :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehee.... like Douglas Adams, "It flies like a brick doesn't"

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interfering cottage - maybe it had special powers to force the bloke to bury his entire face in a plate full of mussels?

    I've recently given up on Hilary Mantel's 'Wolf Hall' admittedly only buying it because it was two francs and a 2009 Man Booker winner. Too detailed, too confusing, too easy to set aside and do other things instead of read and when I avoid reading, it's time to change the book. Am now about to start on 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delores; titles? oh heck... Several of those are from one book and the others? I just flipped to random pages from the "finished reading" stack, then shelved the lot. So now I don't remember which quote is from which book....
    Three of them are:-
    Perfectly Dead by Iain McDowell
    When The Bough Breaks by Jonathan Kellerman
    One Big Damn Puzzler by John Harding

    Toni; Reading is definitely one of the best pleasures. And you can do it anywhere!

    No-one; I know I keep saying I want a kindle, but you'll notice I don't actually have one yet...books, paper.....they're better.

    Jayne; I don't remember all the titles, it was a big stack of books and I chose at random. I listed some in my comment to Delores....

    Windsmoke; I don't know anyone who doesn't have a stack to get through.

    Baino; flies like a brick? Now I have to search for Douglas Adams; he's an author?

    Kath Lockett; The Elegance of the Hedgehog?? Tell me more....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved The Elegance of the Hedgehog, but it seems to be one of the love/hate books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG -- River -- yes, Douglas Adams is (was) an author. He wrote Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, amongst other things. Quirky and hilarious, but not everyone's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. EC; I'll put that one on my maybe list then.

    Toni; aha! The hitchhikers guide...I couldn't remember who wrote that and now I know why Douglas Adams sounded familiar. I haven't read it, but my daughter has a copy and I've seen it often. I should read it.

    ReplyDelete