Sunday Selections #44

It's Sunday Selection time again!
Time to post photos that have been hiding away in your computer files, photos that you may have completely forgotten about.
Have a hunt through your files and find some.

This idea comes to us from Kim at Frog Ponds Rock, who realised one day that she takes many more photos than she uses, as we all do, and wanted to post some of the older ones on her blog.

A once a week meme seemed like a good idea, so Sunday Selections was born and anyone at all can join in.

I often choose a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week my theme is:-

FIRE DAMAGE
(unfortunately I have only two photos, I meant to get more, but time slipped away from me)

Both images are of the burnt out St George Bakery that was across the road from where I used to live.
The blaze was huge, with three fire trucks and several police cars in attendance and neighbouring businesses being evacuated.
I walked home from work on the day to see the last few flames and much smoke filling the air above the bakery, and dozens of people from the other businesses crowded on the footpath outside the units where my home was.

No one was hurt.


There used to be a roof up there.


the blackened underside of the varandah and the boarded up shopfront window.

Before the windows were boarded up I saw the interior, so very black. The smell was bad for a few days,but soon was only noticeable if you walked right up to the building.
It's believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault.
There are plans to rebuild the bakery on the same site, but that hasn't happened yet.

To join in with Sunday Selections, post photos of your choice under the Sunday Selections title, then go to Kim's site, add your name to her linky list and leave her a comment.
Then have a look at what others have posted for their selections.
There are some really good photographers out there.

Comments

  1. Miss 5 has been talking about fire a bit as we saw a bonfire yesterday. She went through a list of all the fires she has seen, including a pizza shop fire she recently saw when out with Dadda. We drive passed where that was a few times a week, and I still have not located it. From your first photo I can see that it may not be quite so obvious, the damage there looks so minor.

    I think fire is the element that makes the most dramatic impact on our thoughts. We come in contact with the other three so regularly, but fire is hat one step removed from us, so all the more powerful when we meet it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that in the first photo you have luxuriant growth right beside the destruction. Fire is a scary thing. After the Canberra fires I noticed that they had been so intense even non-flammable things like toilet bowls had disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this and looking at your photos, River, I can almost smell the charred remains. It gets into my clothes and hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everytime i hear about a fire in a house or shop the cause is always the same a electrical fault is it me or what? :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. permanently amanda; I saw a pizza shop fire once too. We were driving towards the shop and noticed thick black smoke coming from the chimney near the back, as we drove past flames shot out of the chimney, then the back of the shop blew out. Apparently the chip fryer next to the pizza oven caught fire.

    EC; trees on the footpath were okay too. Fire engines were there quickly enough to contain it to just the one building.

    Elisabeth; It's been long enough now that I can't even imagine the smell anymore. I think this was 3 years ago now.

    Windsmoke; the trouble with electrical wiring is that so much of it is hidden, so we don't see if any bits are wearing out or being chewed by rats or possums.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *remember* when this happened, River, but wasn't around to see the firetrucks and smoke like you were. For months I was wondering whether they'd rebuild there or give up but then discovered that they were up in a fancier new premises further up Magill Road (close to Glynburn, I think). I always loved their wedding cake displays and their fresh Italian cakes....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kath Lockett; the "fancier" premises was just a small shop squeezed in between a hairdresser and something else in that small village on the corner of Phillis St. As far as I know, they're still planning to rebuild on the original site. I love their custard eclairs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colourful flowers are quite a contrast to the burned out building. Fires are scary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs