Sunday Selections #45

Welcome to Sunday Selections #47

As bloggers, most of us have built up a collection of photos that we might use on our blogs.
Often as newer photos are filed and used, a lot of the older ones are forgotten about.
They lie dormant in our hard drives, quietly singing to themselves, "what about me...it isn't fair..."

Well, here's your chance to use these forgotten photos.

Search your pictures files and find a few that deserve to see the light of day, or even just one....
Post them on a Sunday, under the Sunday Selections title, then link back to Kim at Frog Ponds Rock, because this wonderful concept is hers. Then go to Kim's site, add your name to her linky list and leave her a comment, because she just loves comments.

It really is that easy!

I often choose a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week my theme is:

CONSTRUCTION


This construction is/was taking place on a site that used to be a 100 bed nursing home for the elderly.
The old home had been there for many, many years and while it still looked in reasonable condition to me, it was very run down and apparently had rising damp and termites too. 

I'm wishing now that I'd taken photos of the old nursing home before they tore it down.

Lots of waste in the bin, I hope they recycle...

Working on the second storey.

It's actually beginning to look like something.

They're building retirement accommodation.

High priced 2 or 3 bedroom units, (apartments) for the over 55's.
Well, the over 55's who were savvy enough in their youth to work hard, save and invest for their retirement.


Comments

  1. Walking around the city yesterday my eyes were drawn to all the different architectural structures. There wasn't much going on in the way of construction, but there are so many different shapes in buildings that it really does catch the eye.

    I don't know if it is the shapes or the repetition that tends to occur that my eyes like most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. permanently amanda; I'm a fan of symmetry, so a lot of the time I like to see repetition in things. But construction sites are good because I like to document the growth of a new building. The transformation from derelict block to functioning shop/house/whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks River. My preference is for the older styles, but I loved following the construction of these retirement homes. I bet they are really expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goal in retirement is not to end up living in a nursing or retirement home unless its an absolute very last resort, not enough freedom and way too many restrictions in those places :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. EC; yes, they are very expensive. Fancy though, airconditioning and everything.

    Windsmoke; I'd perefer not to end up in a nursing home either, but I wouldn't mind being able to afford one of these apartments. They do look nice and they have airconditioning and internet connections etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be nice to be able to spend your retirement years in lovely apartments like these ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So. I wonder what happens to those of us who are not so savvy, or have rough breaks? No nice pictures of that I guess. Welp. Some things are the same the whole world over...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had high hopes that that lovely old building would have been preserved and sold off as groovy units or as an entire house.

    On a very busy and noisy road though, so maybe it's only suitable for the hard of hearing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolina; it would be nice, but it isn't happening for me. I'm happy enough in my little flat.

    Happy Elf Mom; We end up in cheaper accommodation, like me, now, or living with a family member.

    Kath Lockett; the rising damp and termites put an end to those sorts of dreams. Also the owners probably made a pretty penny when selling off that enormous piece of lad. The new retirement homes look very nice though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs