Wednesday's Words on a Friday



On Wednesdays, Delores, from A Feathered Nest has a meme which she calls 
"Words for Wednesday".

She puts up a selection of six words which we then use in a short story, if we are able.
Sometimes I look at her words and nothing at all comes to mind.

Delores has favoured us with 12 words this week, we can use all of them, or some of them, and I wondered just what the heck I was going to do with words that all ended in "ine".

 
1. incline                  1. valentine
2. recline                  2. engine
3. divine                   3. pine
4. bovine                  4. enshrine
5. ravine                   5. leonine
6. machine                6. clandestine

Here is my (slightly longer) short story:

It was Valentine's Day and I was reclining in the old rocker under the pine trees, near the spot where Alice had recently enshrined our beloved Leo, so named because of his large leonine head. A big ginger tom, he'd been almost 25 years old when...............

"Dad! Dad!" My thoughts were interrupted by my sons racing up the incline towards the house. 
"That stupid bovine has fallen into the ravine!  That Big Red!  I don't know how she got through the fence," gasped 26 year old Dave all in one breath.   
Sager, older,  Jack just nodded, said "yup, Big Red wandered away from the herd again."

Dave caught his breath as we all walked up to the machinery shed where the big tractor with the winch was kept.  Both boys climbed up as I started the engine, then we drove down to the edge of the ravine where they'd heard the cow mooing.

As we looked over, I thanked the Lord for his divine intervention;  he'd provided a wide, scrub-covered ledge just a few metres down and Big Red, as we fondly called her, was now resting on it seemingly without a care in the world. 
We were all glad to see our best milker unhurt, and Jack offered to go down with the winch and buckle her into the harness so that Dave could handle the controls and bring her up slowly.  

As the winch motor rumbled, I saw Alice come running, she'd heard the boys  and the tractor. I knew she'd be glad that Big Red was okay, she was Alice's favourite cow. 
Alice always said Big Red's milk made the sweetest butter.   
We studied the ground around the edge, wondering what clandestine patch of sweet feed Big Red had been heading for so close to the edge.

Comments

  1. You are now the official member of an elite club of writers who used all 12...count 'em.....12 of the words. My hat is off to all of you and....fantastic story by the way. Great use of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. And I am glad that Big Red is safe.
    I chickened out this week, and am in awe at those of you with much more courage and skill.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, River, bravo,

    What an awkward bunch of words - and you managed it.

    :-)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I REALLY Must have a go at this myself.

    :-)

    Cheers again,

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delores; it was "bovine" that got me started. I saw the 12 words and thought "holy cow!" which of course led to bovine.

    mm; thanks, it was easy once I got started.

    Susan; thank you too. I had a bit of trouble getting clandestine in there.

    Merlesworld; thank you, you should try this, it's fun.

    Elephant's Child; I think we're all glad Big red is safe; she does make the sweetest butter.

    Plasman; it did look like an awkward bunch of words, all ending in "ine", but the story flowed fairly easily once I got going. you really should try this. Just check in with Delores to see what the words are for the Wednesday, then let us know you've joined in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, a brilliant story, and you used all the words as well. You can be very proud as it was quite difficult this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Wicked Writer; it did look difficult at first, but once I began it just flowed on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at 'Big RED'!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. River that is truly brilliant...like E.C. I too chickened out this weak (the old brain is just not working well) and I'd not try and compete with such brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red Nomad OZ; I thought of you when the name came to me. "Red will love this, I just hope she doesn't think I'm calling her a cow..."

    Mimsie; aw shucks, now I'm blushing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvellous! Absolutely marvellous! And I LOVED the country theme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane Tolley; I thought you'd like it, what with the farm and the cows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Muhammed Khalid; no thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs