Wednesday's Words on a Friday

The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the prompts are supplied by Elephant's Child and can be found here.

This week's words/prompts are:

two images,  which I will now attempt to write about

Here goes:

I heard the screen door slam then footsteps running down the hallway. Jen came bursting into the kitchen, her eyes wild with hope and excitement. Dropping herself into the nearest chair she fanned herself rapidly with a nearby folded newspaper. Panting a little, red-faced, she gladly accepted the ice water I pushed towards her and drank half in one go.

"Whew," she said. "I really need to stop rushing about like that, but I just had to come right away. So where is the photo? I need to see it."
I handed her the photo which I had printed out just a few minutes ago.

"Charmaine! Why did you take it from behind? I can't see his face!"

"So they wouldn't see me, of course," I replied. "You know he doesn't want to be found. I was in the crowd at first and he didn't see me, but I saw him clearly. It's definitely Sean and the girl is that Gemma he ran away with."

"So they're still together," said Jen. "That's something at least. A lasting, steady relationship. And they look well, happy too, I hope. It seems she was good for him after all. I thought she was a steady type, but Robert was so set against it all, the drums and travelling around in particular."

"I remember Robert thumping around yelling at them and at you too. 'What kind of life is that? What about your future?' " I said. "I thought he was about to have a heart attack he got so red in the face."
Jen couldn't take her eyes off the photo. "May I keep this?" she asked.

"Of course," I said. "Frame it and hang it, that's why I printed a large copy. Let Robert see his son is well and happy in his chosen career."

Jen hugged the photo to her chest for a second then looked at it again. "I just don't understand where this came from," she said. "No one in our families, even generations back, is the slightest bit musical. Lawyers to the core. And to choose drums, well, they're so loud. What are the other people watching? I can see most of them aren't looking at Sean and Gemma."

"There was a group of people dancing, I think they're a package deal, called the Whirling Dervishes, dressed in the same colours as Sean and Gemma, but much skimpier clothing and all whirling and stomping in rhythm with the drum beat. I stayed for quite a while, they really were quite mesmerising, but left when the sun began to set. Most of the families were leaving then too, for the barbecue area further along the beach, so I followed them and ate far too much, you know how I can't resist a good barbecue."

"I know he doesn't want to be found, but playing in public, as a profession, he's bound to realise I'll see him sooner or later. Maybe he isn't hiding anymore. Maybe he'll come home to visit soon." Jen sounded wistful. It had been five years since Sean and Gemma had left with nothing more than a bag of clothes each and one hundred dollars that Jen had handed them. 

"Anyway," I said, "I came back after eating, to listen some more and just lay back in the sand hearing the sound soften and mellow as the moon came up. There were blankets all around me, with other people listening too. You should have seen the moon Jen! so big as it rose from the horizon and then so red, like a blood moon,

the sort you read about in vampire and werewolf novels."
Jen said, "Like the bloodmoon used in Voodoo rituals in that book I read last year."
"Exactly," I said. "Coffee? I have a cinnamon coffee cake fresh from the Jewish bakery."
"Ooh, yes please," said Jen.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Capitals? Thank you very much :)

      Delete
  2. Dttto EC's remark! Well done, River! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's quite a story! You have me hoping he will come visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story goes so well with the images. I was picturing all the in-between action in my head, as if there was a whole photo display of each scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I do that mental image thing too, thank you.

      Delete
  5. That was a good, well written story. I too hope he visits his mum. Or at least drop her a letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor; thank you. I think he is planning to visit.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that was good. I never noticed the people watching some thing else. Great way to work it in and I would have been totally stumped by the the moon but you never missed a beat. Great job. Call your mum Sean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; thank you. I didn't notice the people watching something else at first either. I think Sean will visit his mum soon.

      Delete
  7. Oh River that was amazing, I absolutely loved it as I can relate the story to my own estranged daughter living in UK and following her quietly on Instagram.

    Wonderfully atmospheric. I was there.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWW; thank you, atmospheric is a great word.

      Delete
  8. Your imagination was working overtime, kiddo. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good use of the prompts. I like a piece of coffee cake now.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs