Sunday Selections # 801

 Long ago, Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections. 

A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please. 

Nothing rude or vulgar though.

And we don't mind at all if other bloggers care to join us.

In memory of Elephant's Child, the meme is now continued by myself and a few others. Andrew is one.  Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.

Wisewebwoman has also been joining us occasionally.


this is Adelaide and some of its suburbs, the yellow bit in the middle is the CBD aka central business district, "the city"

Here you see it spread out along the coast of Gulf St Vincent, the white areas are settled suburbs that all come under the "Adelaide" blanket.

The accessible beaches begin way up there at number 79, Osborne, Taperoo and Largs North beaches.  Squares numbered 67, 68, 69, are North Haven and Outer Harbor, these are where the big ships come in and dock.


moving south, we have Largs Bay, which is just off the top of the map, sorry, then Semaphore, Semaphore South, Semaphore Park beaches, also West Lakes Shore, Tennyson ( a very expensive suburb), Grange, Henley Beach, Henley Beach South, West Beach, Glenelg North, Glenelg, Glenelg South, Somerton Park, North Brighton, Hove, Brighton, South Brighton, Seacliff, Kingston Park, Marino, Hallet Cove, Lonsdale, O'Sullivan Beach, Christies Beach, Port Noarlunga, Port Noarlunga South, Seaford, Moana, Maslin Beach (the nudie beach), Port Willunga, Aldinga Beach, Sellicks Beach. 
And here are the rest of the maps in case you want to enlarge them and spot all those beaches. 



we have a lot of beaches don't we with each suburb having its own, and walking from one to another is easy, just remember the sunscreen. And a hat. Sunglasses are a good idea too. 


You can see that Adelaide is spread further in length than in width, so access to a beach is relatively easy for even the most eastern suburbs, it just means a slightly longer drive. 


In the city, I walk past this house quite often and always think of New Orleans when I see it. I have never been to NO and never will, but I see it in movies and TV series and the balconies are similar.


Someone (possibly the homeless tent people in the parklands?)  has put an overflowing "home" bin next to one of the city council bins near a bus stop I frequently use and the birds and/or possums have made quite a mess.


this is one of my favourite sandwiches, shredded (pulled) and chopped pot-roasted beef, the yellow stuff?


Spring Gully brand Sweet Mustard Pickles. The photo is not a good one it has that dividing line just up from the centre and I don't know why this keeps happening. The photos look fine on the phone, this happens during the downloading to the laptop.


Saw this disappointing sign on the day I went to Woolworths specifically for a pre-cooked chook. I had to buy a raw one and roast it myself. I was using the oven anyway for roasting veggies...


On the way home with my raw chicken, I spotted the first Jonquils of the season, with many other gardens already having many green spears above ground but no blooms yet.


and of course it is Oleander seeding time, every little fluffy  seed is being blown all over and causing me much distress hayfever-wise. This particular gigantic shrub is almost at my front door, just a short walk down my path, about twelve steps between me and it.


In the back "yard" the washing lines (clotheslines) are being taken over by ivy reaching across the fence again. I used to go out there and cut it all back, but no one else helps and it hurts me now to stretch grab cut and then rake it all up and bin it. no one uses the lines much anyway because the rubbish bins are out there and they are filthy and smelly. I keep "my" bin inside my back porch so people can't put their rubbish into it and I keep it washed and clean.


left-over honey-soy-garlic chicken being stir-fried with onions, cabbage and carrot,


pre-cooked Jasmine rice waiting to be tossed in.


finishing with another one of my favourite trees, with all the twisty limbs.

Comments

  1. This is a good post and I have enjoyed it very much. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DVArtist; thank you, you have a nice day too.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed seeing all your photos, dear friend. And your chicken dinner and Jasmine rice sound scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda's Relaxing Lair; thank you. The dinner was very nice.

      Delete
  3. This week I ate off a store-bought rotisserie chicken too. Easy meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra She Who Seeks; they are nice when they are available. I hope the store rotisserie is functional again by now as I'd like to buy a chicken for dinner today.

      Delete
  4. Adelaide's beaches are a real pleasure. No wonder the city spread further north-south than it did east-west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hels; they are and I haven't been to every one of them but have been to about a dozen of them. Westward spreading stopped at the beaches and eastward has the hills areas where some parts are inaccessible.

      Delete
  5. Thanks you for the fascinating geography lesson and images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3; you are welcome.

      Delete
  6. The house looks very New Orleans to me too.
    Your food photos have made me very hungry and I going out now for some lunch. You can roast a chicken at home? Who would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; quite a few of the older "mansions" remind me of New Orleans with the fancy balconies and ornate trimmings. I'm sure you remember your mum roasting chickens at home. It's just so much more convenient to buy them already cooked!

      Delete
  7. I do enjoy your selections. The home with the balcony is a lot like we’d see down here and in NOLA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; thank you. I do love those old homes, well to look at anyway. I wouldn't want to have to be cleaning them, they deserve much more effort than I am willing to give.

      Delete
  8. Nice post R. We often buy a chicken cooked from WW, they are so nice and rarely cook a baked chicken though I do buy small chickens and make soup.
    We have been to one beach only in Adelaide and that was Glenelg. We love that brand of sweet mustard pickles and now that brands exists no more I 'think'.
    Always good to have a clean garbage bin, and it's a pity no one takes care of that ivy but as you say no one uses the line. Love my clothes to dry in the breeze and sun..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; the Spring Gully sweet mustard pickles do exist, but the company is now owned in Victoria I htink so the labels might be different. I buy two or three jars at a time so I still have some when the supermarkets don't.
      Glenelg is a lovely beach, but I prefer Semaphore or Grange or Brighton.
      I used to hang my clothes and sheets out there, also used to wash out the bins, but when people moved away and others moved in the level of filth intensified and I gave up.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the pictures...now I'm hungry. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gene Bach; thank you and welcome to drifting.

      Delete
  10. I so miss the beach. Your New Orleans could also be in former East Germany on island Rügen!
    We call it Bäderarchitektur > spa architecture.
    Sad about the mess.
    Your sandwich looks.... YUMMY! As those roasted chickens from Woolies. Of course we do not have that.
    We have vans who sell that and the smell is so bad I have to gag.
    Sorry for your hayfever...
    Oh. I hope my Jasmine rice is still good. I cooked it on...Wednesday and have it in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I miss the beach too, I never seem to make time to go there anymore. It's too cold now to be standing around at bus stops anyway. I think there are a lot of old houses like that in many places around the world. The rice might still be good, but taste a bit before reheating, five days is a bit long to keep. I usually keep cooked rice in the freezer in one-serve containers.

      Delete
    2. Aaaand into the bin the rice goes today. Too cheap to get an upset stomach! Do I ever learn. Oh, yes, I just start :-)
      Gack, too cold is not good. They say it warms up here tomorrow. 18C is not Summer!

      Delete
  11. That is a beautiful tree! It's great seeing photos of where you live. I've never been to Australia so even everyday life in Adelaide seems exotic to me.

    There's a kind of pickle here in the UK called Branston Pickle that I often buy and love to put on sandwiches. Dave hates it. It's much darker brown than your yellow one. (Maybe you even have Branston Pickle in Australia? I wouldn't be surprised.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Reed; I hope you do make it to Australia one day. I have seen Branston Pickle in the shops here, but prefer to stick with what I know I like.

      Delete
  12. Stir-fried chicken - yes, please!
    And yes, that house really looks like it belongs in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex J. Cavanaugh; stir-fried chicken is always good. I suspect there are a lot of similar houses in the world, certainly there are a few here in Adelaide. Many hotels are built in the same style, with pub/bar facilities on the lower floor and rooms upstairs.

      Delete
  13. Your sandwich and the chicken look delicious! I had no idea there were so many beaches. It's nice to know that they are there, and accessible, even though I would never go, not being a beach person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I like my food to look delicious as well as tasting good. Geographically, it is one long beach along the coast, but each suburb has "claimed" their section by naming it. I have always been a beach person, but my children prefer not to get sand in their toes or other places.

      Delete
  14. What a lovely post taking us to your "home". My Dad had surgery on Friday and the hospital gave him some "very unimaginative sandwiches". He asked them if they had heard of pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jeanie; thank you. I hope your Dad is well on the way to recovery, hospital food is bland to be able to cater for many dietary styles.

      Delete
  15. Always interesting to see your photographs.
    I did enjoy seeing the jonquils.
    Enjoy the coming week, hard to believe it will be the last one in July, the year is zooming by!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowcarb team member; thank you, I was surprised to see the jonquils, I'd forgotten they were there. It is almost the end of July, the last seven months have zoomed by so fast! Hopefully soon our frosty mornings will be over too.

      Delete
  16. Lots of lovely information in this post. So many beaches to choose from. I suppose they don't get overcrowded like ours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; the more popular beaches, Glenelg, Henley, Brighton, Semaphore, do get crowded, especially when there is an event happening, such as New Year's Eve, or the annual Greek Festival and of course on really hot days everyone gets down there, but there are miles of beaches to choose from if you don't want to be "lost in the crowd" and you don't mind driving a bit further. Glenelg, Henley and Brighton are very popular because there are plenty of Hotels, cafes and Ice cream outlets in walking distance.

      Delete
  17. Enjoyable pictures, once again with unknown to me plants and trees. That ivy is quietly planning to take over the whole yard ;) Your dinner was much like mine with stir-fried chicken leftovers and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely wander through Adelaide and its suburbs!
    I didn’t realise there were so many beaches strung along the coast, each with its own character. Your stir‑fried chicken looks delicious 😋

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words for Wednesday

Sunday Selections #754

dented or otherwise damaged cans, what do you do?