Sunday Selections #808
Long ago, Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections.
A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please.
Nothing rude or vulgar though.
And we don't mind at all if other bloggers care to join us.
In memory of Elephant's Child, the meme is now continued by myself and a few others. Andrew is one. Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.
Wisewebwoman has also been joining us occasionally.
Just a few of the mourning doves that sit on the power lines
a clearer image, they sit and wait for my upstairs neighbour to throw down a handful of oats. At last count there were over four dozen (and one small sparrow) all pecking around on the grass out there.
I walked around the driveway to visit a different neighbour and saw this young kookaburra on the railing of her neighbour,
at first I thought it was a fake bird, but then it looked at me so I took these photos and raced home for the camera. I also took a video of the same bird digging in the mulch and snagging a grub but it's apparently too long and won't play on my laptop and I can't upload it to youtube, though I will keep trying.
my current favourite fruit Kiwi Gold, regular Kiwi has green flesh, the gold has yellow and tastes better to me.
two of the handwoven teatowels I bought from Joanne (Cup on the Bus) years ago, the upper one is a teal/green though it looks blue/grey here
she began weaving these while I was still in my previous home and the first few in that blue you see here were sent free to those of us who wanted them, and as she wove more and in more colours she began to sell them to any who wanted them as well as at market stalls and craft fairs. Sadly Joanne has now passed, but her towels will keep her memory alive.
this photo, taken August 29th might interest some of you. It seems we have The World's Best Gin right here in Adelaide.
Uh-Oh, someone got careless, the "keep left" sign is flattened on the main road that fronts the complex I live in
and so are the pedestrian crossing barriers where I cross to the bus stop.
It must have been a really heavy vehicle going at considerable speed to mount the concrete island but I don't know when apart from a day in the last week of August and I didn't hear any crash noises or emergency sirens.
I found this jigsaw at the local Salvos op-shop (thrift store) and thought I coud lay it out on the big chest of drawers in my bedroom, but wouldn't you know it, the chest is too narrow by one inch. It is 19 inches deep and the jigsaw measures 20 inches by 27 inches which means I will have to do it on my table and that size is a full half of my one and only table.
Arriving home from the op-shop, I found three Redheads clustered around Gillian who seems to have fainted,
after breathing in too much of my sweet vanilla scented candle.














Thank goodness it was "only" a faint! At first glance, I thought they were wrestling due to a disagreement. I like that puzzle, even if you have to give up half your table for a while. Be careful walking along that road, in case the reckless driver returns!
ReplyDeleteVal; the redheads never wrestle. I am most certainly not giving up half my table! one half already holds tissues, pens, water bottle, book and laptop. I need the other half to be free for dinner plates and napkins and coffee mugs and notepaper for jotting down what I have scheduled and what needs to be scheduled and for making shopping lists. The jigsaw can stay in the cupboard for now.
DeleteOh, I forgot about Joanne's towels that she sent us. I wanted to make a purchase of more, but in part the border business dissuaded me, nothing about the current brouhaha but just the logistics and currency conversion and so on.
ReplyDeleteAnvilcloud; I wanted to purchase more towels too, but had to stop when the postage price from the US to Australia soared astronomically. I'm living on the aged pension and just couldn't justify that cost.
DeleteThe towels are lovely, I’m sorry the creator of them is no longer with us.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if you can buy some kind of board or repurpose something to fit on top of the chest of drawers which would make it wide enough. It might work, some kind of large piece of sturdy cardboard or something one inch wider than the top, set over the top, to give you just enough space.
messymimi; the chest of drawers backs onto the end of my bed and an extra board on top might get flipped off if I toss and turn too much or throw back the covers because I am too warm. I may eventually just send the jigsaw to my brother who has a giant dining table.
DeleteI'll keep a look out for Kiwi Gold.
ReplyDeleteI think those pedestrian guards are meant to collapse as they have to lessen the chance of injuries to car occupants.
Best gin. Who says.
The redheads are stoned!
Andrew; kiwi gold have a "zestri" sticker on them and should be in a separate compartment from the greens. Also more expensive. The guards are not meant to collapse at all. They have now been replaced. Only one redhead was "stoned".
DeleteThat's good for Australian Gin then R. Someone had a good time mowing down those barriers, it will cost to put new ones there for sure.
ReplyDeleteMy husband eats those gold kiwi fruit, I don't mind them.
Good to see a Kookaburra, nice bird.
Margaret D; I put that sign for all the gin lovers, I don't drink alcohol myself. I was very surprised to see that kookaburra there, but I have since been told he comes often and people put food out for them and they are nesting in some of the taller trees.
DeleteThat is quite a few mourning doves there ... nice to see.
ReplyDeleteKiwi gold is very healthy...keep enjoying it.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and have a good new week ahead.
All the best Jan
Lowcarb team member; nice to see so many birds, but not nice when they are all coo-cooing non-stop, I actually dislike them for that, I find the sound extremely annoying. I don't know how long kiwi season lasts but I will buy them whenever I can.
DeleteI should give Sunday Selection a try.
ReplyDeleteDora; it would be nice if you joined us but you don't have to every week if you don't have time or photos.
DeleteWhy are the doves in mourning? If they are waiting for their oats, life doesn't seem too bad.
ReplyDeletehels; that is just their name I think, or maybe it is just morning without the "u", because they all make a racket waking everyone up at 7am. I could just call them doves.
DeleteThe towels are lovely. May Joanne RIP.
ReplyDeleteLinda's Relaxing Lair; the towels are lovely and so soft too.
DeleteThe little birds pictures are so cute ! Unfortunately we have a lot of craws and magpies and they eat little birds !
ReplyDeleteIngrid; these birds aren't little, they are a variety of pigeon I think and the size of regular doves. We have crows and magpies here too and I love them.
DeleteNice to see the kookaburra! I've never heard of a video being too long to play. I wonder if it's just taking a long time to upload, given the size? Anyway, good luck with that! I'm also very curious about what flattened the fixtures on the center island of the roadway. If you ever find out let us know in a future post!
ReplyDeleteSteve Reed; I wondered about it being too long, but at you tube a message said "cannot upload" and I tried it several times before giving up because really 50 seconds is not long. I will never know what flattened those fixtures, but they were repaired super fast! so the crossing is safe again for all of the elderly people who cross there to catch the bus.
DeleteI had not realized Joanne had died. I knew she was in palliative care. I bought a bunch of her towels as gifts and everyone raves about the quality. I kept one for myself and it's still like new. She will be missed, she was a lovely woman and a great protester for what she believed in. Out there marching with placards.
ReplyDeleteSo many are now gone. I can't believe my list of RIPS. So many.
XO
WWW
Wisewebwoman; there was a post on her blog explaining what happened, from her daughter Beth, which you can read if you still have the link to her Cup on the Bus blog. I have several of her towels and have given away a couple as well.
DeleteA lovely selection River. We have many kookaburras serenading us most mornings here.
ReplyDeletejeanie; thank you, we don't often have them serenading in the mornings or even every day, but that might change if they are setting up nesting areas here.
DeleteDoves! Like you I do not like their sounds in the morning, and in later years they have been multiplying.
ReplyDeleteIt must have been a sturdy car to flatten those guards. I hope nobody was hurt. Vanilla candles are strong stuff, better take care, Redheads! ;)
Golden kiwis sound interesting. I have a vine (or whatever it's called) bearing green kiwis in my gerden ... they seldom ripen, as frost comes too early.
Charlotte; When I moved in here 15 years ago (15 years!!!) there weren't any doves at all, this is a more recent invasion and at first there were just a few but now they are being fed they come in far greater numbers and are sometimes joined by larger "city" pigeons.
DeleteI imagine the vehicle that flattened the crossing supports was a huge truck, many of them use the main roads and one might have swerved to avoid hitting something else. I can't hear the main road traffic unless it is a vehicle with a siren, if I did hear any crashing I would have gone to see what it was.
The vanilla candle is strong so I rarely leave the cap off the jar and haven't lit it in several years. I did once collect some of the melted wax in a small jar and once it set I put the jar in my underwear drawer.
Can you put some kind of shelter over the kiwi vine to protect it from the frost?
It is an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
ReplyDeleteRuby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3; not quite, these birds are not attacking anyone.
DeleteHello River! I'm home again now and back to daily blogging. When I was a little girl, I learned the Kookaburra Song and I still love it! I want to try one of those Australian Gold kiwi fruits. I see them in the store here occasionally. Like many bloggers, I have some of Joanne's towels too! My blog will have a tribute to Joanne on Thursday.
ReplyDelete