l....is for; m...is for


Following along again with Toni's A-Z, "a...is for" meme, today's letter is L
But I'm cheating and doing M as well.

You'll see why in a minute.

L...is for Labyrinth.

I love these.

The twists and turns, the dead ends, finally finding your way. (or not)

The size, the complexity.....

...and who didn't love David Bowie as The Goblin King in the movie, Labyrinth?

M...is for Maze

A Labyrinth really, but formed by hedges grown into shape and position over time and more commonly called a Maze.

some of them have cleverly clipped corner pieces to add interest.

This one has a pool at its centre.
I think a maze such as this with a goldfish pond at the centre would make a fabulous front garden.
You could see door-to-door salesmen threading their way through and lock the doors in plenty of time.

this little gnome is telling us the Ashcombe Rose Maze is planted with more than 1200 fragrant and colourful roses.
It would be heavenly in full bloom.
Now I wish I'd googled a picture of that!


Magazines and puzzle books often have mazes for children to find their way through with a pencil.
I always found it easier to start at the end and work my way back to the beginning when I did these.

So now you can see why I've linked L and M together.




Labyrinths are aMAZing.

Comments

  1. River,
    I love these mazes but I've never been in one. But I did work on one when I was in college. Guess I was in one then, a little. I think that topiary face is fantastic. I also had a hand in doing some of that but I was terrible. (I was in horticulture at the time) When I prune my bushes now, I usually cut the electric cord. Ha.
    I missed your last post about your laps. Hey, you are doing good and you are sticking with it. I grew up beside a lake and was in it all the time, but now I kinda don't like water. It's perhaps because I can't stand to loo at myself in a swim suit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Big funny typo.... not loo..Haha but look. I need a new computer and half the keys don't work, One is the "k" and I have to go back and push really hard on some of them. I'm going to try to get through a-Z before I get a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here, every year, a local farm puts on a "corn maze." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashcombe maze is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better on paper than in person. I would walk the extra miles to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delores; they are aren't they?

    Manzanita; I've never been in one either, but I'd like to as long as I could see over the top. So 4 feet tall would be fine, then even if I got stuck I could see my way to other people who could help. I'm not happy about the sight of me in a swimsuit either, but if I avoid mirrors I pretend I look okayish.

    Happy Elf Mom; a corn maze is a great idea, since corn needs to grow in close proximity so the pollens fall onto each stalk.

    Andrew; I'm going to have to google it. Have you been there?

    Joanne; I'd love to walk through one as long as it wasn't too tall to see over. If I tried a tall one, I'd be wanting a paper guide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also always started the mazes in magazines from the end. It worked. This is a wonderful joint posting - very clever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very clever of you. Thanks.
    I don't think a maze in our front garden would be good for me as I have enough trouble now getting from the front door to the letter box and back but it's a wonderful thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are indeed, River, but I'll be honest and admit that I must be the only person who hasn't seen the movie 'Labyrinth'. Would it still 'hold up' today, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elephant's Child; they're much easier done backwards, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does it.

    Mimsie; you and I would be the only ones who know about the secret path that goes straight along one side, just for us.

    Kath Lockett; how have you not seen Labyrinth? Should I send you my copy? It's fantasy mostly and I'm sure it would hold up today. Read about it at IMDb.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs