Sunday Selections # 329

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.


Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.


If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


Once again this week, we are in Stirling, one of the prettiest of the small hills towns.

one more look at the mosaic decorated stobie pole

there is a monument to fallen soldiers, placed by the local RSL

this tiny rock lined path between footpath and driveway is slightly scooped and serves as a run-off for excess rain water

Matilda's Bookshop, which I dared not go into lest I never be seen again. I love browsing bookshops.

Opposite Matilda's is the Hills Discount shop, another establishment I could happily spend hours in.

I love the variety of goods these places have.

I wanted to buy every one of those bright and cheery wind spinners.

this photo doesn't show the true colour of these geraniums, which is at least two shades deeper red.

I found a shop that sells Aussie themed metal garden stakes, this one is a sulphur crested cockatoo,

and over by the window, a koala and a kookaburra. $75 each.

Around the corner, the back entrance to the Stirling Arcade,

with huge baskets of begonias hung from the rafters,

interspersed with these lovely old fashioned lamps.

close-up of the begonias

the back entrance leads to this indoor cafe area, with beautiful old brick paving and lots of greenery.

towards the front of the Arcade is this back entrance to The Stirling Organic Fruit and Vegetable Market

here's a quick glance inside. I've bought fruit and veg here in the past; the freshness and flavour is worth every minute of the trip from Adelaide.

this bright gold canopy really caught my eye, a golden ash tree.

the shadowed branches of a spreading oak tree. I really wished I could climb up and sit on those branches for a while.

here the oak leaves are backed by the bright reddish purple of another autumn coloured canopy.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Author R. Mac Wheeler; autumn is great for colour photography and the hills area here excels.

      Delete
  2. I guess I liked the last 3 pictures best - I have a tree fetish LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; me too, I spent many happy hours in trees as a child. I've been enjoying your posts.

      Delete
  3. Love the actual hanging baskets. Mine are nice, too, but those are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; They're great aren't they? and huge. I like yours too, especially the "crooks" you hang them on. I've been looking for similar supports here so I can hang baskets, but I must be looking in the wrong places, as I haven't found any.Yet.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Grace the tree pictures I enjoyed the most, they are all great, I just liked the trees best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy; I'm a big fan of trees, especially the big spreading ones a person can climb into and sit for a while.

      Delete
  5. What an absolutely beautiful place. I could spend hours and hours there. And bookshops are a problem for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Stirling is a wonderful place, smallish, with a village feel.

      Delete
    2. I want to go visit (& shop) there!!

      Delete
  6. An interesting stroll through Stirling...it does look like a very nice place, indeed.

    I hope this week is a happy one for you River...and a far happier one for everyone throughout the world than what last week was. Cuddles to Angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; it's an interesting place to be, I once thought about living there, but rental costs are way to far out of my budget. I'll settle for visiting. I hope everyone everywhere has a happier week.

      Delete
  7. I too like bookshops not many in Sydney now, when I lived in Ashfield many years ago there was a exchange bookshop, spent many happy hours there.
    I like the metal garden stakes.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; I've noticed a lack of bookshops in the city here too, there used to be at least four secondhand bookshops, now there is only one at the central market. In the city we do still have Dymocks Bookstore and there are libraries around still. The stakes are quite large and sturdy.

      Delete
  8. It's such an interesting place. I like the decorated stobie pole and the rather expensive animal garden stakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; Adelaide has several decorated stobie poles, but that is the first one I've seen in the hills. The stakes are well made and would look great when weathered in any garden.

      Delete
  9. I need to put out my wind spinners...coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady (Dora); I need to buy more wind spinners, next time I'm in Stirling I'll take more money.

      Delete
  10. Certainly have a field day in there.
    Books shops, always come out with something to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret-whiteangel; I'm the same with bookshops. I often go in just to see what's new and come out with at least one book, so I try to avoid going in at all most of the time. There's only so many times I can spend the grocery money before the cat demands actual food.

      Delete
  11. ... what a great arcade... I love the shops and the cafe with the brick floor ... ..thanks for taking us there to visit ... xxx barb xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara; the cafe is set into one side of the arcade and completely closed in from weather, yet spacious and open. I plan to have coffee there one day, maybe even cake.

      Delete
  12. Another very nice photograph selection.
    I think that mosaic decorated stobie pole is amazing.

    I just love visiting book shops, can never quite resist going in to have a browse ... and yes buying one (or two) !!!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowcarb team member; that's the only stobie pole I know which is mosaic decorated, all others I've seen are painted, often done by whoever is living in the house closest. I have to stay out of bookshops for the health of my budget, but my daughter's front room is a good substitute.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs