Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by Margaret Adamson and Sue Fulton and can be found here.

This week's words are:

1. scuttle
2. rapper
3. drop
4. machine
5. flowery
6. button

and/or:

1. cashback
2. tipping
3. pizza
4. energy
5. unsubstantiated
6. clear

Here is my story: I only used five of the words but there is more to come on this and the words will eventually fit in.

Ed volunteered to open the door and as he ushered Stanley and Irene inside, he noticed a large bank of dense black clouds rolling in. "Storm's coming," he said as everyone moved to the larger living room where there were more chairs. "They get pretty rough up here on the cliff," said Sara. "Would you like to move your car around the back where there is more shelter? There might even be room in the garage." "Thank you," said Stanley. "That's an excellent idea." He and Ed went back outside and got the car moved with Ed showing the way and locking the garage door, there'd been enough room to squeeze in beside Tom's battered old jeep. 
Back inside and sipping tea, introductions were made and then Detective Inspector Stanley Grace began with telling what had transpired at the local Police Station. First, the story of the skeleton being found near Littleton, the pink plastic tag with 'The Merry Moose' on it, then he turned to Tom and said, "This next bit pertains to you I believe."  A suddenly nervous Tom put down his teacup; he'd been expecting this but now didn't know how to react or what to say. Stanley went on, "Local scuttlebutt has it that you are the original Tom Kendall, kidnapped from Shark Cove sixteen years ago." 
A barrage of voices began and in the complete silence that ensued when Stanley raised his hands, you could have heard a pin drop. "How much do you remember" asked Stanley. "Almost nothing,' said Tom. "So how is it that you came here?" Tom then related his story of finding the photo of the jetty, tracking the address on the back and being sent to The Retreat by Bill Money, the postmaster. "That fits with what we heard," said Detective Irene Fargo. 
A crash of thunder shook the room and was followed by lightning that lit up the sky. "I'd better check on Stephanie," said Sara. "She's napping in the spare room and may have woken. I'm not sure if I should bring her in here though." "Why is that?" asked Stanley. "It's quite a complicated story," said Ed. "She had a mental breakdown and we've been keeping her from seeing Tom so far because she is the one who found Tom's mother's body all those years ago. We don't know how she'll react to seeing him." "We don't want to be responsible for tipping her over the edge," said Vanessa. "It may not come to that, but it pays to be careful."
"I've learned that Stephanie also was my babysitter several times while we stayed here after leaving the Cove Hotel," said Tom.  "So the murder and kidnapping happened here?" said Irene. "No," said Tom, "Sara has told me we went back to the Hotel to pack up our remaining belongings and settle the account and that was our last night. My mother was found early next morning, I was gone and so was my father." 
Sara came back in just then with a very pale Stephanie, who said quietly, "Frank's back, I hear him." Sara helped her settle into an armchair and wrapped a flowery blanket over her. "This may be hard for you Stephanie," she said. "It isn't Frank. I know the voice is the same, but Frank has been gone a very long time. This is Tom, the little boy, all grown up now." Everyone held their breath momentarily, waiting for Stephanie's reaction. This probably wasn't the way begin explaining the last sixteen years, but there was no going back now. 
Stephanie trembled and played with a button on her dress, then raised her eyes and looked directly at Tom.

Comments

  1. Is this part of another story? I'll look forward to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; yes, this is chapter seven in part two of a long-running Friday series. I haven't yet added this and the previous one to the Words for Wednesday tab where you can read the whole thing from the beginning. You'll find the tab right at the bottom of my bloglist.

      Delete
  2. You left it hanging on the edge of a cliff......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; yes I did...ha ha

      Delete
  3. This story is well written and have me sitting at the edge of my chair. And there I'll have to stay. I hope that the rest of the prompts will speak to you -- nay scream to you -- in the coming days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor; I'm glad this has you on the seat of your chair. The story is screaming at me and I'll work the prompts in where I can.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Nothing like Sara getting right to the point! I can't wait to see how Stephanie responds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; everyone was hoping to go slowly on this, but with the detectives there and Stephanie also staying a meeting was inevitable. I think Stephanie will surprise us.

      Delete
  5. Brilliantly done.
    And hopefully Stephanie will be helped by seeing a grown-up Tom. And that rotten doctor (who I haven't forgotten) will soon get his just desserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; Stephanie will be fine, she has strengths that show themselves soon. The rotten doctor will get what's coming to him as soon as I can figure out what and how.

      Delete
  6. The suspense is growing...one's interest expanding. Keep it going, River!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; it's had a bit of a holiday, but back in my head now and I'll probably write more over the weekend.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes it's best to just jump in, i hope that works out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I think this particular jump will have a safe landing.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to the rest of the story.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle; me too. It needs another few chapters to be book size.

      Delete
  9. This may be what Stephanie needs or it may push her over the edge. Looking forward to what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; Stephanie may well be stronger than we think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs