Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by Margaret Adamson and friend Sue Fulton and can be found here.

This week's words are in fact two phrases:

1. sun over the yardarm
2. going commando

Here is my story:

"Rise and shine Billy-boy," roared Dad jovially as he yanked the covers off the bed. "The sun is over the yardarm, high time you were downstairs helping your mother."

"Sun is over the yardarm? What does that even mean?" said Billy yanking on his pants. 

"It's a nautical term," said Dad. "Something to do with sailing ships and how high the sun was before they broke out the new bottle of rum I think. Great Grand-dad used to say it all the time."

"Sailor Sam Grand-dad?" said Billy.
"That's the one," said Dad. "Now get those pants off again and put on some underpants. There'll be no going commando in this house. Your mother has enough to do without washing everyone's trousers twice."

Comments

  1. Great use of the difficult phrases. I am very, very glad to see this post. I worried that you had passed on W4W this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scheduled it for 1am as always, did it appear later than usual?

      Delete
    2. Much later. More like 1pm than 1am.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for writing, good take on these not so familiar phrases. He sounds like a good dad.
    As for when you posted, my computer tells me you did it at 22.00 + 9.30. I live in GMT +1 but we're having DST right now. Trying to figure that one out would take me 'til the sun is over the yardarm ;) Blogger tells me 2 hours, ago which rhymes with EC's guess at 1 pm. Her most recent comment is timestamped 3.13 pm - at least for me. Those time zones intrigue me no end. So sorry for these ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemore; thank you, I'll be more careful when checking the schedule timing. I've made similar mistakes before.
      I had a bit of fun with the two phrases.

      Delete
  3. Well done River, used both beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of the phrases! AND you even added some humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; I do like humor and try to include some in all my writing.

      Delete
  5. For some reason this made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; this comment makes me happy, I like to make people laugh.

      Delete
  6. I like this take. Very clever - especially mum washing pants if they go commando!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisewebwoman; at the risk of being crass, "skidmarks" often need a scrubbing before going into the machine.

      Delete
  7. Short and sweet, but you've already made me wonder more about this family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I'm wondering too, I have some vague ideas that might be worth expanding, but not yet.

      Delete
  8. Well done! Yes, please don't go commando, it does add to the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; as I found out when Mum had a boarder (lodger) for a while and the man did not own any underwear at all. After the first wash, she made him do his own laundry and he left soon after that.

      Delete
  9. Love your response to messymimi that you mother made the commando boarder do his own laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie; he was a young fellow about 19 and wasn't at all happy about it so he left, said he was going to Darwin.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs