Sunday Selections #798
Long ago, Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, (who no longer blogs), dreamed up a meme called Sunday Selections.
A place where those who were willing could put up photos they wanted to share, new, old, good, bad or indifferent, any photos you please.
Nothing rude or vulgar though.
And we don't mind at all if other bloggers care to join us.
In memory of Elephant's Child, the meme is now continued by myself and a few others. Andrew is one. Messymimi is another. Drop in to their blogs and have a look.
Wisewebwoman has also been joining us occasionally.
I borrowed this from wherever I saw it online, a while ago now so really have no clue where I saw it.
"no-one" went shopping at a thrift store (Aussie Op Shop)
and found a few long-line cardigans
in good condition and bought them. For Me!
the striped one had only three buttons, of that brown leather you see there, so I bought seven new ones in a purple shade and sewed those on instead, it looks nicer now.
most of these photos were taken back in May and on a rainy day I decided to put the porch pots close to the edge to get some of that free water and of course the rain stopped only five minutes later.
this pot is ceramic and far too heavy to move so it had to be watered from a jug I keep handy.
The "stars" are out on all of the jades
more at the front than further back where they get less sunshine
this is the one in a pot beside my porch steps, you can't see the bees but believe me there were at least a dozen buzzing around collecting nectar.
the Redheads have a new pet unicorn, "she is just our size" they all said happily
and after much hugging and some television watching they settled down to sleep.
two cartoonish dogs painted on a stobie pole (the metal and concrete poles that hold our electricity wires) near the dentist building.
a very colourful mural down the side of a building across the road from my dentist
same mural, slightly different angle, sadly the front of the building is drab and plain white
another stobie pole, this one with two kookaburras on it.
close to home, this upstairs lobby window is nicely decorated, sometimes with pots of flowers too, while all (or most) others are just plain.
the redheads play area has been packed away for the winter since that particular spot often gets wet when it rains if the wind is blowing from the south. A tree stump Fairy House is there instead, though the tiny fairies are also packed away for the season.
walking to the shops I saw the footpath completely covered in autumn leaves
for quite a distance, it had been clear the day before
and now the tree above is almost completely bare. This is Australian winter and as I type this (mid June) I can see through my window a blue sky with just a few fluffy clouds and a LOT of sunshine.























Lovely cardigans. Long line is so nice to wear.
ReplyDeleteThe redheads look contented, and why wouldn't they?
I like the murals and your July calendar pages - anything with cats entertains me.
jabblog; the cardigans are so soft and comfortable too. The redheads are always contented. I like this page of cats too, a surprise after 6 months of skulls.
DeleteGreat sweaters! I do like your new buttons.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever seen jade plants bloom. Mine certainly hasn't. I wonder if it's the same type?
And I wonder why "stobie poles" have that name? Something to Google! I like the artwork on them.
From Google AI: "The iconic utility pole is named after its inventor, James Cyril Stobie, an engineer with the Adelaide Electric Supply Company. He patented the unique steel-and-concrete design in 1924 as a solution to the scarcity of tall timber and aggressive termite populations in South Australia."
DeleteThere you have it, though maybe you already knew that. :)
Steve Reed; I took the garment to the button store to get a good match. I did know about the Stobie poles, but had forgotten, so thank you. I know newcomers to my country are wondering what the heck a stobie pole is until someone tells them.
DeleteHow old are your jade plants and how much sun do they get? They usually start flowering at just a couple of feet tall, though there is one on the opposite side of my porch, in a pot grown from a piece taken off one of mine, but belongs to the upstairs neighbour. It has never yet flowered though it should have by now.
Great find- those cardigans are wonderful. Especially like the last one with purple buttons added. The redhead's new pet unicorn will be needing rainbows to eat, I think that is what they eat (?) A prism on your window sill may provide .
ReplyDeleteLinda Sue; I am really happy with the cardigans, the newer ones each season are limited colours, cream or beige and while I bought a cream coloured one, I much prefer the colours "no-one" found in a thrift store. The unicorn has been feasting on rainbow confetti.
DeleteSome quote, so true...
ReplyDeleteVery nice of "no-one" ! Here it feels like Autumn with 19C tops!
A unicorn :-)
The dogs could be by Wendy Binks?
Time is running so fast I see your pics here next second...
Love the calendar-page! Hope it is full of sweet memories for you... and not sadness.
Iris; I didn't look closely at the dogs or kookaburras, as it was time to head into the dentist, next time I go that way I will check for a signature. I have no sadness anymore for my Lola. Her time had come and while I do still think of Angel and wonder, I have photos of him to smile at.
Delete"No-one" often buys unexpected things for me if she sees something she knows I will love.
Hi dear friend, I absolutely love all your photos! The cardigans are lovely! I love thrift stores!
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed the calendar page. Thank you so much for sharing.
Linda's Relaxing Lair; I love thrift stores too, but stay away mostly because I want to buy EVERYTHING and that is not a good idea. The calendar page is a nice surprise amid all the skulls.
DeleteI love the four redheads being tucked up and sleeping peacefully. I wonder if the unicorn had felt a bit outnumbered.
ReplyDeletehels; oh no! The unicorn loved getting four sets of hugs and cuddles, "I have a big heart" she said, "plenty of love to share".
DeleteThe redheads think sleeping is the best way to cope with winter. I agree, but things must get done by someone.
Wearing a cardigan here in S; Calif. won't happen for some time. But, these are lovely.
ReplyDeleteSusan Kane; the cardigans are not quite ebnough here right now, the air is frosty and I have dragged out the "Oodie" from it's summer storage bag. It is so toasty warm I can leave the expensive heating turned off.
DeleteThe Stobie pole art is good to see, and the mural is nice.
ReplyDeleteThere aren't many leaves left on trees here now.
July's calendar is great.
I always like seeing jade in flower.
Andrew; I like stobie pole art, I recently took a zillion photos of different ones, all Australian flowers, but have lost them in the mess of files I have here. I like July's cat page.
DeleteYou have lovely blooms
ReplyDeleteRuby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3; thank you.
DeleteAutumn leave everywhere, the do make a mess but they also look good.
ReplyDeleteYou can never have enough long cardigan, good on you for buying 7 I think you wrote.
Flowers are nice, and the murals look good and one is very different.
Margaret D; I bought one cardigan and "no-one' bought me three. The 7 is the number of purple buttons I bought for the striped cardigan.
DeleteA beautiful collection of selections. It would be nice if most poles, boxes holding wires for utilities, and other such were nicely painted, as well as building sides. We could create some beautiful citiscapes this way.
ReplyDeletemessymimi; thank you. I would like to see more buildings etc decorated, but many companies just don't think about such things. Most buildings are leased for a certain time anyway so perhaps the company renting the space just doesn't bother.
DeleteThose cardigans were a great find. No-one has a good eye for bargains. Do I spy a fake ladybug in the plant in the ceramic pot?
ReplyDeleteVal; "no-one" also has a friend to driver her to these places, said friend often goes to get clothes for her fast growing sons aged 8 and 6. Yes you do spy a fake lady bug, I have several though one has lost a wing to rust.
DeleteCan't beat a beat of thrift shopping, you never know what treasures are waiting to be found! Lovely photos today, thanks for sharing!!! ✨🐾🎉🐾✨
ReplyDeleteBasil and The B Team ~ Bionic Basil; welcome to drifting.I love thrift shopping but must restrain myself as I frequently want to buy too much and I have only a tiny flat with very little storage.
DeleteThe redheads appear to be having a love fest in that bed. The unicorn is going to feel exhausted. I applaud the flowering jade plants.
ReplyDeleteYorkshire Pudding, the redheads are hibernating, they say it's the best way to deal with winter. the unicorn is now on the shelf with other stuffed toys. The jades are lovely when in flower.
DeleteThat would be a welcome change
ReplyDeleteRuby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3; sometimes change is welcome, other times it is unsettling.
DeleteYour kind of winter sounds like one I'd like - else I go with the redheads; hibernating would be fine. Luckily rigth now its summer here . even if these past three days have been quite autumny wilt cold, windy and rain, the suln will be back soon.
ReplyDeleteHooray for new unicorn and pretty plants.
Charlotte; our winters are "mild" compared with northern hemisphere snow, ice and blizzards, but they feel plenty cold enough to us after our summer heat. We do love our blue sky sunny days even in winter though, and many of our trees are evergreen, not deciduous, so they are green all year.
DeleteMoney doesn't bring happiness, but it sure helps to endure sadness.
ReplyDeleteGuillaume; that's true. I am a mostly happy person anyway and feel sorry for those who are always sad, whether they are rich or not.
DeleteThe cardigans look great you'll be warm and cosy this Autumn/Winter.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Lowcarb team member; the cardigans were great all through autumn, but now I have the "Oodies" out from their summer storage bags and feel much warmer.
DeleteThe cardigans look so cozy, and I like how you gave the striped one a new personality with those purple buttons.
ReplyDeleteLove the redheads with their unicorn.