Wednesday's Words on a Friday

 The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles. Sadly, Delores has now closed her blog forever due to other problems.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.

This month the words/prompts are supplied by Charlotte and can be found here

This week's words/prompts are:

1.spice  2.think  3.scissors  4.glue  5.numbers  6.glum

and/or:

1.patch  2.banana  3.evening  4.lamp  5.shady  6.golden

Here is my story:

Grandpa Bert listened at the door as young Robert grew more and more frustrated. His homework assignment was not going well and Grandpa had been told to “wait and see”, “he needs to learn to sort things for himself”, but when he heard Robbie begin to cry he went in.

He rubbed Robbie’s shoulders a bit and said “why so glum chum?” Robbie sniffled and said “I’m supposed to cut out banana shapes and number shapes and glue them on the cardboard, but the scissors won’t behave!” he gestured at several ruined bananas scattered on the floor where he had tossed them.

“Scissors can be tricky,” said Grandpa, “especially when you are just learning. You are only five and some people never learn to cut neatly. Now show me how you are doing it.” Robbie picked up the scissors and immediately Grandpa saw the problem. Robbie was left-handed.

“When does the board have to be handed in?” asked Grandpa. “Mrs Brown said on Monday,” said Robbie. “Plenty of time then,” said Grandpa, “and I know how to help.” “Grandma and Mum said I’m not allowed to ask for help so much, I have to do my own work.”

“And you will,” said Grandpa, “but you need left-handed scissors and a decent pair, not these blunt kindergarten ones. We’ll go shopping tomorrow and then you’ll see what a difference it makes to have the right tools.”

“Mrs Brown said it shouldn’t matter, all scissors cut.”

“I think we should forget about Mrs Brown for now and head into the kitchen. Your Mum has just learned to bake Grandma’s ginger spice cake and I think it needs to be tested!” They took slices of cake out to the garden and sat under the shady elm tree to watch the golden sunset and see who could spot the first star of the evening.

Later, when dinner was over and Robbie was having his bath, Bert sat beside Grandma Rose and explained the problem while she sewed yet another patch on his gardening trousers. He adjusted the lamp for her and explained the left-handedness that no-one had noticed until now.

“We have all seen him use both hands his whole life,” said Rose, “we didn’t even think about things like scissors and left-handedness.” “I’ll take him shopping tomorrow,” said Bert, who was also left-handed.


Comments

  1. De vegades un petit detall pot ocasionar un gran problema.
    Bon relat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula; I have several left-handed people in my family, so I know how small details make a difference.

      Delete
  2. Um pequeno grande detalhe que não havia sido notado.Era canhoto e daí a dificuldade com a tesoura! Linda história! beijos, chica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chica; I knew of the problem since many in my family are left-handed.

      Delete
  3. Being left handed does has its advantageous. You just have to have left handed scissors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I don't know about advantages, but I know about left-handed scissors, they were always kept on a special hook in our kitchen and the handles were red so everyone knew.

      Delete
    2. Sports had some advantages being left handed.

      Delete
    3. It was a genetic gift and a part of his environment. I wrote him to be a kgt. because it left his future open.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it takes a grandparent’s eye to notice what everyone else missed.
    Good thing Grandpa knew the secret and rewarded him with spice cake under the shady tree. Sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica Lee; thank you, it's often handy to have a grandparent around.

      Delete
  5. That is a sweet story R. Thank goodness from Grandpa. I'm left handed and use left handed scissors, so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; thank you. I am not left handed, though I do some things with my left hand, but I have many left-handers in my family.

      Delete
  6. Nice story, he's happy to have a grandpa in his life, and spice cake heals a lot of evils for a small boy (or girl).
    I tried using left-handed scissors, but was confounded as it was only the handles that were changed to left-handedness, not the cutting parts ... you so to say still have to look along the wrong side of the scissors. I found it easier to teach myself to cut right-handed. Left handed potato peelers, now, I can't live without.
    I use both hands, but for different things writing - right; cutting - left ... no logic ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte; I never used left-handed scissors and assumed the blades were "other" to match the handles? We had some and the left-handed people used them without any trouble. I use mostly my right hand, but my left equally when wiping things down, like drying the shower, I switch hands back and forth depending on where I am reaching. But when it comes to pouring liquids, I use my left hand.

      Delete
  7. To Grandpas helping! I have a friend from former GDR who is left handed and was forced to work with her right hand.
    Now it comes in handy. I think these days you let kids use their fav hand no matter which it is?
    Ingo had such a hard time when his right hand failed and did NOT want to hear I had to use mine for 7 months, LOL. I still mix up left and right since then...
    Also... sorry, but The Simpsons come to mind. Flanders is left handed, too and has a shop with proper tools! :-) Scissors included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; I never knew my grandparents,so for this I thought of my son-in-law helping his Grandson. My dad was left-handed and forced to use his right hand in school, so I remember him always writing with his right hand but when he was drawing he used his left hand. These days kids are allowed to use whichever hand is natural for them.

      Delete
  8. Left-handedness often goes unnoticed, though teachers of young children should always see. Robert's teacher wasn't very helpful or observant, poor boy. Three cheers for Grandpa Bert. My husband and youngest daughter are left-handed, but able to use right-handed tools, mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog; usually it goes unnoticed when kids use both hands for almost anything, and only noticed when kids learn to write or cut. My ex husband is left handed, also his brother and sister, now my almost daughter-in-law is a leftie and the twins use boths hands though they are leaning more towards their left hands for writing, but right hands for colouring. So we still can't tell.

      Delete
  9. En los pequeños detalles está la diferencia. Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuria de Espinosa; and details are always more important than we think.

      Delete
  10. Such a simple solution, from Grandpa Lefty. Genius is left-handed, and indeed voiced his displeasure with regular scissors when he was old enough to complain. Some aren't as bad as others, but the kind with molded plastic handles were especially bothersome to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; a very simple solution once the problem is known.

      Delete
  11. Some students can break a teacher.

    Who would think that scissors could be a weapon?

    Apparently, Ms. Herman did, so kindergartner Adam was marched to Principal’s office. Adam was perched in the hall, listening to Ms. Herman rage against him, listening to his many crimes.

    The banana episode? A fine moment, Adam recalled. Two girls stepping on a rotten banana was epic, stairs and all. Sprinkling Dad’s Old Spice on toilet paper? Pure inspiration.

    And then there was the glue. It was solid white; students had been eating spoons of it for the year. So, what if he had mixed some salt and baking soda in it? No big deal.

    But the primo of his crimes was mixing laxative into chocolate pudding, a treat, at lunch. Inspiring was his opinion.

    The scissors episode as simple, just taping the blades together. Nothing big there. Ms. Herman had clearly reached her limit.


    She marched out of the office, grumbling and saying words he didn’t understand.

    The principal sat Adam down in the office, getting close to his face. “How the hell did you get those supplies? Laxative? Old Spice?” Then he whispered, “You are better than I ever was.” He gave Adam a high-five and sent him home.

    Off Adam went, head hanging down in unfelt remorse. His mom would be furious, but then his dad was the principal after all.






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; all of this from a kindergartener?? Wow. He learned a lot from his dad for sure.

      Delete
    2. Making him a kindergartner made his future open.

      Delete
  12. I haven't known about scissors being made for right-handed until way later. Mostly since I'm right-handed. Good use of the prompts.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lissa; most tools are made for right-handed people, and some are easily used by left-handers too, such as hammers and screwdrivers, pens and pencils, all are neutral. But left-handed scissors is a real thing, though sometimes hard to find.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words for Wednesday

Sunday Selections #754

dented or otherwise damaged cans, what do you do?