Who remembers the original advertisment for Cadbury Chocolate?

 I'm referring to the one for the Family Size block, meant to be shared by a family, but I can easily eat one of those on my own, though I no longer do that. 

The advertisement stated "there's a glass and a half of full cream dairy milk in each block"

Come back to the future with me now, and here's what they are stating: "there's a glass and a half in each one"

Here's my question: A glass and a half of what?

Since they are deliberately not saying I wonder if it is lite milk? skim milk? soy? palm vegetable oil? 

All I know is it doesn't taste the same as the chocolate I grew up with and hasn't since the mid 90s (last century! does that make you feel old?) when very briefly palm oil was listed as an ingredient (until everyone and her grandma got up in arms about the rainforests and gorilla habitats) and to me the chocolate, especially the chunky snack bars, tasted strongly as if someone had forgotten to clean the oil off the machines that processed the stuff. 

Then the labels had vegetable oil listed instead and it could no longer be tasted (by me anyway) but I haven't bought Cadbury Chocolate since 1997 and never will again.

Comments

  1. I remember those ads showing the glasses pouring milk into the side of the wrapped chocolate bar, and wondering hm, how? There's been a lot of changes in the ingredients, and it's not anything like as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boud; I imagine the milk was added somewhere along the processing line and the amounts probably allowed a "glass and a half" per block but what size glass and did it really matter? But now many more products besides chocolate have had ingredient changes and milk content is reduced and replaced with soy. Because it is cheaper.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Susan Kane; yes it does and we can't do much about it.

      Delete
  3. We get chocolate from Belgium and sometimes organic bespoke bars from the Coop. commercial. chocolate is NOT chocolate especially in the USA, It is just gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LInda Sue; I have had Belgian chocolate and it was nice but recently bought a cheap supermarket bar labelled "made in Belgium" and it was AWFUL. I threw it out. USA chocolate is made with corn syrup, I remember once tasting a Hershey's Kiss offered by a friend and spat it out.

      Delete
  4. I do remember those commercials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DVArtist; back in the day when we could trust foods and ingredients.

      Delete
  5. I had some Cadbury's chocolate yesterday and our granddaughters love Cadbury's chocolate buttons. Please visit the Cadbury's website for more information:- https://www.cadbury.co.uk/
    If visiting England, forget London or Stonehenge or our green countryside. Go to Cadbury World instead:- https://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/
    Please note Cadbury World is within its rights to deny entry to terrorists or grumbly women from South Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding, thank you, but I may not go to the website. I am not supposed to be eating chocolate anyway, and I didn't for almost a year and now limit the amount quite severely. But I stick with locally made Haigh's (very expensive but very yummy) and Whittaker's made in New Zealand (also expensive so very rarely bought)

      Delete
  6. I bet it's still cream but they don't want to scare off people with the amount of calories in each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex J.Cavanaugh; I shall photograph the ingredients list next time I am in the supermarket.
      There never was cream in the chocolate, just full cream milk as opposed to skim or low fat milk.

      Delete
  7. I remember that advertisement, too. Nothing is quite the same as it was . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a child I used to enjoy Cadbury's Dairy Milk ...
    As an adult I now enjoy a square (or two) of dark chocolate the 70%+ type...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowcarb team member; as a child we rarely had chocolate, mostly as a treat at Christmas and Easter, my "daily" habit began much later, but I eat much less now. My dad favoured dark chocolate, but I don't like it.

      Delete
  9. That's interesting. I don't eat much chocolate and I've not really noticed. I assumed a glass and a half was of full cream milk. I am naive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; the glass and a half WAS full cream milk, back in the day when ingredients were cheaper and quality meant something. Now it is all about cheaper ingredients, higher prices and larger profits for CEOs and shareholders.

      Delete
  10. We never ever ate lollies in the 1950s so chocolate was a delicious sweet my brothers and I loved. I still love it now, but only dark chocolate these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hels; I remember not having lollies or chocolate as a child, chocolate was a treat at Easter and Christmas and there was chocolate icecream in summer, milkshakes too, but regular or daily sweet things just didn't happen. I don't like dark chocolate.

      Delete
  11. It’s very hard to find the good stuff now, they substitute too many cheaper ingredients and claim it tastes the same. It does not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I am of the opinion that official "tasters" have no taste buds at all. There's a similar thing going on with ice cream.....

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3; in the 70s we could trust what was in our foods.

      Delete
  13. Here they have that with another chocolate brand, Milka or such (I don´t pay attention as I don´t like chocolate). I wondered about that saying. But I am sure back in the day there was quality in there that these days is no more.
    Do you know The Wing or the Thigh from 1975? Sums it up what we have today! Not only cause I´m a fan of Louis de Funès and yes, the "s" is spoken! Funès! He knew early what´ll come up in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris; we have Milka here too, I think it is supposed to be swiss, it's nice enough to give to kids, but not always available. I have no idea what "The Wing or the Thigh" is so I shall follow your link and find out.

      Delete
    2. That is a lot of information when I am already half asleep, so I shall read it tomorrow.

      Delete
  14. Didn't eat chocolate hardly at all when younger, R. Remember the ad though, so what do they mean these days with the ad...I do eat a little more chocolate these days and it tastes ok.
    I found this on the net R....hope it helps.
    *Cadbury chocolate blocks are measured in grams (g), not milliliters (ml), because they are solid. However, if you are thinking of the famous "glass and a half" slogan, Cadbury defines this as 426 ml of fresh liquid milk in every 227 g of milk chocolate.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret D; thank you for that. I notice it is just "milk" and not "full cream" milk.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Linda's Relaxing Lair; I think we all remember that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words for Wednesday

Sunday Selections #754

Sunday Selections #791