Sunday Selections # 143



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.
Kim spends more time writing at The Shake these days.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to The Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.

Kath and Andrew often join in as well, although Kath has been quite busy lately and unable to join us.
There are several other participants now though:
Jackie K at Working Through It

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I'm continuing with some photos of the gardens surrounding these flats I live in.

Today I have photos of just one rose bush. 

You may be forgiven for thinking this is three or four different roses, but truly this is one bush with many roses in many colours. 

It's called a Chameleon Rose because of the constantly changing colours.

see? one bush. many colours.

pink with creamy white. And a yellow-pink bud right behind.

yellow with very faint pink tinge to the edges of the petals.
I love the tiny point at the centre of each petal edge.
Enlarge the image, you'll see what I mean.

creamy white with pink. and another yellow bud.

isn't this just beautiful? here you can more clearly see the little point at the centre of each petal edge.

white with a hint of pink. Yes, we're still on the same bush!  Proof? the points on the petals.

another ruffly bloom, tri coloured, pink, white and cream.

this one is almost half and half white and pink.

one of the yellows with pink tips.

I love this yellow-soft pink combination.

one of the buds has a hole, thanks to a bud worm. 

Next autumn this bush should be a little bigger and since it is over in P's side of the garden,
I'm going to take a cutting and get it going in a pot on my front porch. 

The porch is getting a little crowded, but I'll make room for this.














Comments

  1. I have lusted after this rose since Kakka introduced me to it. Mimsie has one too. And your post today has fuelled my lust.
    It is gorgeous. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating--& lovely!! I've never heard of a Chameleon Rose before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I love roses and now that I've proven I have a deer proof place to grow them, I'm going to have one of these. It's fabulous. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever rose bush.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of such a rose. It must have taken some breeding trick to get a rose to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the one I have and as EC says, Mum (Mimise) now has some as well (she asked Secret Santa really nicely last year).

    They don't tend to grow very large as bushes (well mine is still quite small and is many years old, but we have it in a pot so that might make a difference).

    They are very special roses and bring me a lot of joy. Lets me know how the cutting goes.

    Happy Sunday xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elephant's Child; I have a similar rose closer to my front path, but it doesn't get the yellow blooms only the pink/cream combination.

    fishducky; they may be known by a different name where you are. Ask at your nursery.

    Joanne; it isn't a very tall growing rose, well, this one isn't, so perhaps it would do well in a pot for you.

    Merlesworld; it's very clever.

    Andrew; apparently they're quite common. Kakka and Mimsie have them and I've seen others in other yards.

    Kakka; this one is in the ground and quite a bit smaller than all the surrounding bushes, so I imagine they don't get very big. I think a cutting in a pot will do very well. I'll take one about Easter next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing and gorgeous. Does it smell good?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is glorious. I didn't know such rose bushes existed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fenstar; I didn't get down close enough to smell the blooms. I'll do that tomorrow and let you know.

    Jackie K; now you do and you can get one. If you want one.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I now have 3 in pots under the back patio where they get sun and some shelter from the wind. I noticed this year the colour seems even darker than usual but so is yours very dark. It is such a fascinating rose and you can almost see the colours changing throughout the day. It is a floribunda so doesn't grow very large. I am battling black spot on mine which is a curse here in Perth. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love roses :-) The tri-colour ones are beautiful. That is simply divine that they are all from the one bush.

    I've finally managed to do another Sunday Selections post http://thesleepydwarf.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/sunday-selections-tasmanian-museum-art-gallery/

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely little rose bush. Very clever plant breeding :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sleepydwarf; I'll pop over and have a look.

    Vicki; I'm thankful to whoever bred this one. I don't think it's a natural happening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs