This should work well....

Roughly two and a half years ago I posted my sausage hotpot recipe.

In case you missed it, here it is again>>>>

A/C = apple cider.

SAUSAGE HOTPOT

1-2 thin sausages per person
2 large onions, sliced
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 tablespoons A/C vinegar
2 beef stock cubes (I use the Massel brand)

1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (spring gully brand is gluten free)
1 large carrot, grated into shreds
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 tablespoons butter (I use real butter, or olive oil, but margarine is
fine too)
1 1/2 ounces plain flour (about 3 tablespoons?)
1 tablespoon sugar

Brown the sausages, cut into half or one inch pieces, set aside.
In a large jug mix together the sugar, crumbled stock cubes, sauces,
a/c vinegar and hot water.
Cook onions in butter until soft, but not browned.
Blend in the flour.
Gradually stir in the jug mixture, stirring constantly to prevent
mixture becoming lumpy.
Add grated /shredded carrot.
Stir until boiling, turn down to simmer, add sausage bits.
Cover and simmer about half an hour, stirring now and again to prevent
sticking.
Serve over cooked rice, (because raw rice is just a little too crunchy..)
Add a green vegetable of your choice. I like broccoli with this.


Recently, I felt like the savoury flavour of this, but had no sausages in the freezer. I did however have some chicken tenderloin strips. So I browned those, cut them up and added them to the simmering sauce. It was pretty nice. Except I probably should have used chicken stock cubes instead of beef.

Now I have some leftover chicken hotpot in the freezer and still have more chicken tenderloin strips.

Aha! I had a lightbulb moment!

 I'll thaw out both, brown the chicken, then add it to the hotpot, and thicken the sauce.
Then I'll make pastry and turn the whole thing into a chicken pie. Maybe throw in some peas, then I won't have to cook an extra green vegetable.

I've made beef pies before and they've turned out well, so I see no reason for this idea to fail.
And I haven't had a chicken pie since the last frozen store bought one years ago, and that wasn't so nice.

I'll let you know how this turns out.
Feel free to copy my idea for yourselves and let me know how yours turns out.







Comments

  1. The skinny one would like this - in either the sausage or the chicken incarnations. Thank you. Do Massell stock cubes have any animal product in them, or are they like their liquid stocks and completely vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elephant's Child; completely vegetarian, all the Massel things are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. I'm not a huge fan of sausage but have actually been on the lookout for this kind of recipe as I know my kids would like it. I have a Greek version but it's a bit too spicy and when I tried to make it not spicy it just turned out boring.
    The carrot, tomato and worcestershire sauce in yours sound just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that sounds nice, might have to pass the recipe onto hubby who does the cooking. Let us know how the pie turns out won't you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie K; I've found a lot of things are better with just a hint of extra flavour, in the original recipe given to me there is no carrot or tomato sauce and it was...okay...but needed something, so I added the extras.

    Kakka; I made the pie this morning and will taste test at dinner tonight. At this point I can only say it looks nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs