Sunday Selections # 219



Welcome back to Sunday Selections!

This once-a- week-meme was originally begun by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock, as a way to showcase some of the many photos we all take, but don't get around to showing on our blogs.

The rules are very simple:-
1. post photos of your choice, old or new, under the Sunday Selections title
2. link back to me, River, somewhere in your post
3. leave me a comment so that I know you've joined in and can come over and see what you've posted.
4. hop on over to The Elephant’s Child to see more of her wonderful photos.
  Andrew often joins in too.

I usually go with a theme for my Sunday Selections and this week I have photos that I took last Sunday while waiting for my movie to begin.

As we all know it was Easter Sunday, so the buses were running on public holiday time, (which is exactly the same as weekend time), so I arrived at the cinema with just under an hour to spare. A later bus would have got me there after the program had started and after sitting through 20 minutes of advertising and promos I started to think maybe that wouldn't have been such a bad idea. But then I wouldn't have spent time wandering around with my camera! 
The cinema I go to is in a little shopping centre called Mitcham Village.

Here we go>>

we already know that I found a Cheesecake Shop! Mmmm, yumm.

the clock tower, but what are those white specks on the corner up near the top?

Two sulphur crested cockatoos. I love these cheeky birds.

they are very destructive birds, however, you can see here the damage they have done chewing at the wooden edging there.

across the road I spotted this well maintained old building that looks as if it was once a school.

it is now the Mitcham Community Centre,

with a Toy Library. I think toy libraries are a great idea, you borrow toys that are new to your children, to keep them interested and playing, then take them back and swap them after a few weeks. This saves quite a lot of money, I believe there is a small fee, but much cheaper than paying to buy a toy that your child may not like.

on the way back to the cinema I saw this Mega-Copter, it's the topmost part of the climbing frame in the play yard of the local Hungry Jack's Burger place.

In between the Community Centre and returning to the cinema, I spent quite a lot of time in another area which I will show to you next week.

this wall at the back of the Council Offices intrigued me, it looks like it is made of rusted metal panels, a closer inspection showed it isn't, a different construction material is used, the rusted metal look is from the paint used and it's very effective.

I was pleased to see the wall continued through to the front of the building.

the logo on the building.

I thought this cow was a great way to advertise the Butcher's business.

creeper cover on a fence post, looks like Virginia Creeper or Boston Ivy, the leaves are the shape of grape vine.

The green glass windows are the topmost part of the Wallis Cinema which is situated above the main shopping mall.

the curved window of the cinema entrance area above the cafe, is a lovely suncatcher, warm on a cold day.

Along the side, in the windows above, we can see the seating area where patrons can wait while their theatre is readied for the next showing of their chosen movie. 

The cinema houses seven separate theatres, all are clean and very comfortable with seats a little wider than I'm used to, so there's no feeling of being cramped.


















Comments

  1. Very scenic area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting selection. I don't know if the cow atop the butcher's is a good idea. Some people prefer to remain ignorant about where there meat comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that rusted wall look.
    And the walk you took us on. Our weekend buses are woeful. One an hour (in peak hours) and they cancel rather a lot of stops over the weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a stroll around Mitcham village, River; now I can go and make my coffee and read the paper...a good way to start off a Sunday.

    I hope you have a good week ahead, minus any of the "excitement" like last week brought! Cuddles to Angel. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The municipal building is very elegant and professional looking. Bus service is just beginning to come to us. The most frequent route is still a five mile hike away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely area.
    The toy library is a wonderful idea.
    A cheesecake shop yum.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely walk 'round, thanks for taking us along.

    I really like the "rusted iron" look. It's amazing what they can do these days.
    I saw similar paints for rust effects in Bunnings not long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delores; it is a very beautiful area, one of the older suburbs of Adelaide, so it has had many years to become well established and it is one of the "better-off' areas so the funds are there for good maintenance.

    Andrew; I think the cow is a great idea. EVERYONE should know where their meat comes from, in fact everyone should know where ALL their food comes from.

    Elephant's Child; I'd love a wall like that on my home! Our weekend buses are mostly every hour too, a few select areas have half hour time-tables. On weekdays we have half-hour runs with other suburbs having 15 minute "go-times" in peak hours to get people to and from work and school.

    Lee; I read my Sunday (and Saturday) paper first, if I didn't it would never get read. Angel is used to this routine and leaves me alone until the paper gets put in the recycle bin.
    I think last week's 'excitement' is over, I have a suspicion which I will discuss with my doctor.

    Joanne; a lot of our Municipal buildings are nice to look at. I think our council rates pay for them, since our roads and storm-water runoffs are mostly in pretty poor condition. (*~*)

    Merle; Adelaide has lots of Toy libraries and I'm sure other cities do too, we just don't notice them much because our children are no longer babies. You like cheesecake too?

    Vicki; there will be more photos next week. I've seen that rusted effects paint in Bunnings catalogues, but haven't thought of a reason to buy any. Perhaps a brand new wheelbarrow, painted to look old and rusty, then planted with flowers and herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking us on a walk around Mitcham Village.
    I also liked the idea of the rusty look, very effective.
    We don't have sulphur cresteds in W.A. but seems to may be nearly as destructive as the keas in New Zealand although both species are beautiful birds.
    The Mitcham area seems most interesting and looking forward to some more pics for there.
    Hope all is now under control healthwise and I am wondering what your suspicion may be. I've been thinking about it and also had a thought or two about it. Will be interesting to know the outcome. You could always email me. Just a thought.
    Hope you and Angel have been having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mimsie; I thought the cockatoos were Australia wide. Mitcham is a very pretty suburb, a lot of the older Eastern Suburbs are, they're so well established and many of the oldest homes are still there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs