Thursday Thoughts # 41

from Cold Days, by Jim Butcher

"I reminded myself that just because someone is courteous, it does not necessarily mean that they aren't planning to vivisect you. It just means that they'll ask whether the ropes holding you down are comfortable before they pick up the scalpel."

from Skin Game, by Jim Butcher:

"I want an extra pair of eyes along. Someone of my choosing."
"Why?"
"Because Nicodemus is a murderous, murdering murderer," I said. 

Today's Thoughts

I've been to the movies three times this past few weeks. I've seen "Home" with the character "Oh" being voiced by Jim Parsons, aka Dr Sheldon Cooper of The Big Bang Theory. I expected it to be funny, and it was, it was also a little silly, which only made it funnier. 
But it was also a little emotional, which I hadn't expected and there were a couple of scenes where I got teary-eyed and had to fish around in my bag for a hanky.

A couple of weeks after "Home", I went to see "Tinkerbell and the Legend of the Neverbeast"
It's a children's movie, aimed at the very much younger than me crowd, but I'd seen reviews and thought I might enjoy it. hmmm. I might have enjoyed it more if I was seven. It didn't appear to be a popular choice, I was the sole occupant of the theatre that day. 

Third movie? "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"
I'd seen the first Exotic Hotel movie and liked it enough to buy the dvd, so I thought this would also be good. I'd read in the newspapers that it wasn't as good as the first, but decided to reserve judgement and see for myself. Then I heard via Andrew's blog there was a big Bollywood dance scene at the end.
I love Bollywood dance scenes! So of course I was going to enjoy this movie. And I did. Enough that I will buy the dvd when it is released. 

I also discovered The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was a book first, so yesterday I went to the nearest Library and borrowed a copy to read. I like the story, so I'll buy my own copy of the book eventually.

It was a public holiday (Monday), when I saw 2nd Best Exotic, so the buses only ran every hour. (*~*)
I got to the cinema with just under an hour to spare and I knew I'd have that time, so I took along my camera and hoped it wouldn't rain. You'll be seeing some of the photos on Sunday

I set off walking along Belair Road, taking photos and discovered a Cheesecake Shop! 

Woo-Hoo!! It's been at least ten years since I'd seen one, they'd been closing down all over the place. 
I made up my mind to go there after the movie, but then forgot. 

I'll be going to see "The Book of Life" next week and after that, waiting for "The Lady In The Van" to come to the theatre. It stars Maggie Smith as a cranky old lady who lives in a van, gets invited to park in someone's driveway for a short while and ends up staying 15 years.

Yesterday, I had to go back to that same shopping area, so of course I made a stop at the Cheesecake Shop and picked up one of their price list menus and learned the shop I was at, was the original. 
The first Cheesecake Shop ever opened in Adelaide! 
And still operating after all these years. 
They make fabulous cheesecakes, both baked and continental styles, as well as fancy cakes including mudcake varieties, tortes and gateaux, pavlova and lemon meringue pies. 

They have two sizes in cakes, but even a small one is too big for me, so I moved across to the refrigerated "slice" section which had a selection of cheesecake slices and quarter cake slices. 
I bought a quarter Black Forest, because it is one of my favourites and I haven't had decent Black Forest in a very long time. Most bakeries or cake shops these days use mock cream :( instead of fresh and the cake is usually stale and bland. 
This one was lovely. Large enough to be cut into three generous slices, fresh and tasty. I've eaten one slice and the rest is in the fridge. 

Angel wanted to try some, but I'm not ready to handle another bout of cat diarrhea so I shooed him off the table.

Comments

  1. River, the book is fairly different......good but I was put off by first chapter or so......persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll go looking for that book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheesecake! Emily always chooses cheese cake for her birthday. Laura would not eat any for ages, having been told by an older sibling it was made of cheese. Finally, she went for one bite, and has been hooked ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that book.
    Cheesecake isn't one of my weaknesses. Just as well, there are more than enough other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheesecake, both the kidling and the Great Scot request it for their birthdays; chocolate and cherry for the kidling... anything with caramel for my darlin'. Me? I just want carrot cake, although a really good Black Forest cake would also make me very happy.

    I'll have to look out the book, whilst I enjoy movies books are much more my thing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lady in the Van sounds interesting. Pleased you enjoyed 2nd Best .... It can be hard to get good cheesecake now. Seems to have fallen from favour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would kill for a slice of plain New York style cheesecake!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gillie; I knew the book was different, my daughter told me, I'm past the first chapter already.

    Delores; as Gillie says, it is different from the movie, but I think you'll like it.

    Joanne; I avoided cheesecake as a child too, not knowing what it was and not wanting to show ignorance by asking, I just said it was too 'cheesy'. (*~*) I tasted it for the first time when I was over twenty and realised what I'd been missing.

    joeh; my downfall is fresh Black Forest cake.

    Elephant's Child; I can live without cheesecake, which doesn't mean I'll say no when offered a slice.

    Jaquelineand; I always alternated between Black Forest cake and Pavlova for my birthdays, then we couldn't get a decent black forest, so it was a choice between pavlova and cheesecake.
    I like books more than movies too, mostly, it depends on how the story goes.

    Andrew; I think anything with cranky Maggie Smith would be interesting. Get onto Google and see if there are any cheesecake shops near you, they'll have good cheesecakes.

    fishducky; New York style is a baked cheesecake I think. I prefer the continental style. The baked ones are a little "heavy" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The levels of love that I have for The Cheesecake Shop cannot be expressed in our human words and numbers. :)

    We have one of these locally but it has changed its name to something else - and yet, the cheesecakes are identical to how they were when it was The Cheesecake Shop.

    I understand this not at all. However, I am big on making our own cheesecake every fortnight and we usually have a small slice every night for dessert. I posted my recipe on my blog for no-bake cheesecake a little while ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snoskred; I don't love it so much that I'll be there every day, but now I know where to get a good black Forest cake for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly have seen a few movies of late. All the reviews I've read and seen about "The Book of Life" have given it the thumbs up. It's supposed to be very good.

    Now I feel like some cheesecake. I've not had cheesecake in a long time and it's probably about nine years since I've made one. The last one I made was a baked cheesecake for a special lunch I shared with friends...outside under the trees...and that lunch was about nine years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs