Wednesday's Words on a Friday


The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by Margaret Adamson and friend Sue and can be found here.

This week's words are: 

1 precipitation
2. lanky
3. grotesque
4. clockwork
5. still
6. transporting

and/or:

1. Eskimo
2. cyclone
3. cassowary
4. waitress
5. cleaning
6. auditorium

Here is my story:


Drama Club Afternoon Tea Party



Kylie and Joan burst in through the door. “It’s time”, yelled Kylie. “I’m so excited! The cleaning crew has finished doing the auditorium, we can start setting up now.”’

”About time,” grumbled Robbie. “I was hoping to be half done by now. I have so many other things still to do. You know I like my schedules to run like clockwork.”

“Take it easy Robbie,” said Dennis. “There’s eight of us here now and Theresa is coming, there’ll be no problem transporting all this food, and the trestle tables are already on the way. Johnno’s dad got the truck last night and loaded everything.”

“Well alright then, but I’m going to have to leave by three thirty and no later. I promised Phil and Sam a trip to the Zoo to see the new Cassowary enclosure where the baby chicks are making their first appearance. Phil wants to take photos and needs plenty of daylight.”

“You’d better hope for no precipitation then,” said Sandra.

“Why can’t you just say rain, like normal people?” said Kylie. “Always showing off with the big words, thinking you’re so much smarter than everyone else.”

“I don’t think I’m so much smarter. I know I’m so much smarter,” said Sandra.

“Did you read the dictionary instead of bedtime stories when you were a baby?” said Kylie.

“As a matter of fact, I did,” said Sandra. “And the junior encyclopedia.”

“Never mind all that,” said Johnno. “We need to get moving if Robbie wants to be finished by three thirty.”

“He can leave then anyway,” said Dennis, “we have Suzanne turning up soon, and she’s bringing that new girl Amelia. She’s from northern Alaska so she’s been helping with the right things for the Eskimo theme we’re doing this year.”

Brothers Alex and Chris both spoke up together. ”How about we start actually moving this food instead of standing around nattering!” 

“Great idea,” said Dennis and everyone picked up platters of sandwiches and cakes, heading towards the door.

“Who is our waitress today?” asked Chris. “I hope it isn’t that Julie who rushes around like a cyclone. You barely clean your plate and there she is whisking everything away to the kitchen for cleaning!”

“I think it’s Cathy,” said Robbie.

“Cathy? That lanky beanpole who towers over everyone else in the whole school?” 

 “Yes,” said Sandra. “I heard her saying how pleased she was to be getting a turn finally.”

“Well I hope she wears something suitably decent,” said Johnno. “Most of what she normally wears is pretty grotesque, if you ask me.”  

“I think Suzanne is helping her out with what to wear and she’ll be mostly covered by an apron,” said Dennis.


Comments

  1. Excellent, and natural use, of the words given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to be that lanky beanpole in my younger years. Thanks for the smile! Your use of the words was right on! I posted my use of them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred Ratched; Thank you. I used to yearn for a few extra inches, not in lanky beanpole league, but enough that I didn't need to take up the hems on every single thing I bought.

      Delete
  3. Love this. And I too read encyclopedias as a child. And sometimes the dictionary too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I never read either of those, I was too busy working my way through the entire fiction section of the children's library and occasionally sneaking into the adult section.

      Delete
  4. I thought cassowary and Eskimo would doom you but you pulled it off per usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I was worried by Cassowary, but the Zoo idea popped into my head soon enough.

      Delete
  5. I had to look up Cassowary. Kind of scary! I'm glad one is not coming as a guest to the Drama Club Afternoon Tea Party. OR roaming around my neighborhood!

    My uncle lived in Alaska most of his life, working for the U.S. Forest Service. The first thing he told us on our visit was not to use the word "Eskimos" when out in public, because the people preferred the term "natives."

    We were in the southeastern panhandle region during August, temps in the 50s, men jogging shirtless. Ketchikan up to Juneau is the area we visited. It was like a lush rain forest, which surprised me, even though I was not expecting snow. My sister and I went for a walk, and saw a baby bear. Then went back to our cabin quickly, in case the mama bear was around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; I've only seen cassowaries at the zoo, they're quite large birds. I often make jokes about moving to a snowbound cave in Alaska when we are sweltering through another summer, but in truth, I don't think I could handle that kind of cold. I wouldn't mind some of that fur-lined clothing though and a pair of fur lined boots, I think they call them Muk-Luks. If I ever win the lottery, I'll visit Alaska in their summer.

      Delete
  6. Neat story, i hope he gets the photos he wants.

    Nice slice of life story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; he gets the photos, he has a new camera with a long zoom lens so he doesn't have to get too close and upset the mama cassowary.
      Thank you. I find slice of life pretty easy to do.

      Delete
  7. This reminds me of many past events during my life! lol

    A great use of the words, River. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; I thought about you when I had "my" people picking up trays of sandwiches and cakes.

      Delete
  8. Do not confront a Mama Cassowary they canbe very abnoxious when alarmed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vest; I've seen Cassowaries at the zoo and took a large step backward when one fixed his/her big eyes on me and stepped forward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like my days at school. except for the cassowary ;)
    You nailed those types. Great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor; thank you. I find dialogue rather easy, but don't know if I could continue it into a whole book.

      Delete
  11. The word list looked a bit formidable this week, but you didn't seem to have a lick of trouble with them. Great job, as always.

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; it did look a bit formidable at first, but once I started it just flowed.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs