Sunday Selections

Welcome back to Sunday Selections.

Begun way back in the mist of time by Kim of Frog Ponds Rock and now continued by me, with a drastic relaxation of rules.


Originally meant for showcasing old photos lost on your files, never seeing the light of day, the meme has morphed into photos of your choice, new or old, good or not-so-good, anything you please, but nothing rude please.

If you are participating, please leave me a comment so I can buzz along and have a look.
Elephant's Child always participates, and her pictures are always worth seeing.


Today, (last Sunday actually) we're taking a walk in the Botanic Gardens, specifically to see the wisteria arbor.
On the way to the gate I saw an amazing tree that I instantly fell in love with. 

I have no idea what type of tree this is, but I love all those aerial roots and the bark feels warm and friendly, almost smooth.

the tree in the distance to the right is a young Moreton Bay Fig tree

here you see smaller aerial roots with the "hairy" feeder roots growing towards the ground

some of the tufted "hairy" roots are almost brush like

the thicker ones look like you could cut one with a good length of stem and have a broom

leaving the tree and walking into the gardens, I saw the trumpet vine in heavy bloom

here's me hugging a Moreton Bay Fig tree, N took the photo and I think V took one too with her own camera.

on to the Wisteria Arbor where we discovered we were a week or so too late, we'd hoped to see the interior hanging with blossoms, but they were already mostly gone and leaves were taking over. Further down towards the other end there were still quite a few blossoms hanging, more on that next week.

from the outside you can see the arbor has purple, then white, then purple again, with the white being intensely fragrant and covered with bees having a delightful time.

here's a little teaser, the white wisteria.
 I was very glad I'd taken some antihistamine before leaving the house.

See you next week. 








Comments

  1. That IS a fabulous tree - could it be a banyan tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; I'll have to google for Banyan tree images and find out. The two friends I had with me didn't know.

      Delete
  2. That old tree looks like how I feel in the morning. Well it is a lot more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joeh; it's a fabulous tree and I want one. Of course I'll need a paddock as well to put it in :)

      Delete
  3. What a WONDERFUL day. Love that tree - and am a tree-hugger from way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; I don't hug too many trees, a lot of them have ants crawling all over the bark. But I do place my hands on them and say thank you.

      Delete
  4. An amazing tree, and lovely wisteria. It's one of my favorites when it is blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I used to live in a rented house where the front porch had a decades old deep purple wisteria all along the front porch. It was beautifully shady in summer and all the kids would spend time out there.

      Delete
  5. Are those red birds up in the wisteria. Your very first tree might be from Swiss Family Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne; the red does look like birds, but I hadn't noticed any when I was taking the photos, certainly didn't hear any. I like the Swiss Family Robinson idea for the tree.

      Delete
  6. Hey there, River. My first thought when I saw the your first photo that the tree was a very old Moreton Bay Fig, but from what you've said, (or not said) apparently it isn't. Other than that, I've no other idea what it could be.

    A lovely day out by the sounds of it.

    Take care over the coming week...I hope it treats you kindly. Cuddles to the lovely Lady Lola :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee; it is quite different from a Moreton Bay fig. As for taking care, too late for that. I was watering potplants yesterday for a friend who was away for a few days and halfway through my back went into spasm. I'm in quite a lot of pain right now, but less than yesterday. When I finish here I'll go back to lying down with my legs up on pillows.

      Delete
  7. I think it might be a strangler fig. Pity about the wisteria. Ours this week in various gardens is at its peak. The white is nice, but doesn't quite have the impact of the purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew; a strangler fig? I'll google for image of that too and find out. The leaves do resemble those fig trees people keep in pots that I can't recall the name of.
      I like the white wisteria, it is much more heavily scented than the purple though, so hayfever sufferers need to be aware of that. This time round, we missed the full impact of fully blooming purple by about a week.

      Delete
  8. I was thinking Banyan tree also. Love how the bark was warm. Just made for hugging if you could get close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I got close enough to hug and I did hug along with my friends, but none of us thought to take photos until we were in the grounds of the gardens.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for a most enjoyable tour!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; you're welcome and please join us again next week, if I manage to get a post up.

      Delete
  10. That was a wonderful tour. I don't know much about trees, but those are appealing. You are very good at disguises, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val; you didn't recognise my "potato" body? I guess the purple shirt threw you off. ha ha. I don't know nearly enough about trees, but I know which ones I like best and this is one of them.

      Delete
  11. That tree should be in GAME OF THRONES:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Annie. Yes I agree These peculiar weird Apparitions are well suited for the use within Sword and Sandal Movies.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful tree! I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs