Wednesday's Words on a Friday




The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.

The aim of the words is to encourage us to write. A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.

If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along and read it.

This month the words are supplied by Margaret Adamson and friend and can be found here.

This week's words are in fact two photographs, only one of which I have used.

Here is my story:


As the cool dark of night began giving way to the radiance of dawn, Helen rose from her small single bed and padded into her bathroom. She no longer paused at the window to watch the gold chasing away the black. The walk to town was long and she disliked being late. Hurrying through her morning wash, Helen put on the clean clothes laid out the night before, then returned to the bedroom where she smoothed the bedding and laid her folded nightgown across the end of the bed. Noticing the threadbare fabric, she decided this year a new one would be bought before the cold of winter began.

She stepped into her sandals and moved through to her kitchen/living area, where another indication of passing time caught her attention. The old round wooden spoon, one edge now partially flattened from years of stirring porridge, eggs, rice, stews. So many meals over the past twenty years. It was a humdrum existence, but Helen no longer minded. Fleeting thoughts of the long-gone fifteen year old Helen, excited and eager to learn, rarely crossed her mind these days. The routine had become comforting, with her one joy being Sunday afternoons when two new books were delivered from the town Library. Books were rare in these days of screen addiction, there were so few left and few people too, who preferred the silence of the written words over the bings and beeps of hand held devices.

Finishing her breakfast quickly, the dishes were rinsed and stacked, ready to be properly washed later that night after her dinner had been eaten. She left her tiny cottage, carefully locking the door and turned to face west, where the sky was still dark and night mist still hovered. She would follow the now useless train tracks through the mist, through the forest, to get to town, where she worked. 



Today was coupons and vouchers day, people would be coming in to get their cards stamped for the next rations of perishable goods. Those who had not worked enough hours this week would be allowed milk and eggs, but denied the luxury of a little butter.

Comments

  1. Reaading declared a 'secret addiction'? Yikes. This is really good. held my attention from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only slightly confused; not a secret, just not many people reading real books in those times. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Well done! Kinda sci-fi/dystopian future??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace; thank you. Yes, kinda, I think it might be the beginning of something, but not sure what.

      Delete
  3. This is a very scary future - and a beautifully written piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child; not too scary, there may be good changes about to happen. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. The character held me to the very end. Very well written, and the idea that books being scarce scared me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Kane; I don't like the idea of books being scarce either. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Very well written! Tell ya what, if books are that scarce in the future, I don't wanta go there. I'm not the least bit interested in the "bings and beeps and handheld devices." (Great description!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan; thank you. I'd much rather read than get too involved in screens. I don't think I'd like a future without books either. If that happened I'd have to write my own.

      Delete
  6. That's my kind of story! I went through a post-apocalyptic phase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While she may be smart to not think too hard about what never was, part of me feels sorry for her. Excellent story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messymimi; I feel a little sorry for her too, but for some, the humdrum is most welcome as it leaves the mind free to wander.

      Delete
  8. Cleaning out my husband Grandma place after she past. We ran into a book of ration stamps.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady (Dora); I haven't ever seen any ration stamps, they're before my time. I don't recall my parents having any and I don't know about my grandparents who lived in Germany and are now all dead.

      Delete
  9. Such a future with ration stamps and few books--yikes I am glad I am old. Sure glad my Kindle is packed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti; I hope the future doesn't turn out this way, but I'm holding on to all my books, just in case.

      Delete
  10. "She would follow the now useless train tracks through the mist, through the forest, to get to town, where she worked." A lovely description, along with the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishducky; thank you. The picture fit nicely with something I'd written a couple of months ago, just had to add that bit in.

      Delete
  11. Great, River....thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

kitchen tip #?????

being unaccustomed to public speaking,

I've been trying to contact Haagen-Dazs